Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
mobydeek
mobydeek began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre redesign

Hi,

I know technically this doesn't belong here, but it doesn't belong anywhere else.
I created a redesign/rebrand of the Calibre website out of boredom (and to hopefully blow hamstersoft out the water [jk kids]):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2919832/calibre/index.html

It uses a lot of newer CSS3 rules, so it'll look less nice on IE7/IE8.
I won't go into the design concepts here (+ please ignore the Apple Download button I couldn't be bothered to create one)

Hope I'm not treading on too many toes with the redesign i'll probably remove the link in a few days.

Last edited by mobydeek; 09-14-2011 at 11:13 AM.
mobydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
I think it looks nice, very sleek and minimalistic which is a style that I like. I had no idea that CSS could do drop shadows. That's pretty neat. One suggestion: calibre should be spelled with a lowercase C as that is the official spelling.

Don't worry about stepping on toes. We can't improve if we aren't willing to risk exploring new options.

And please don't remove the link from the post. It's annoying when people go back and self-destruct a thread for no good reason. Some people may not read this post and respond for several weeks (on vacation, busy, etc). Or someone may come along in a month or two and have some great input about it.

BTW, it's nice to finally see what calibre looks like on the Mac! I've heard Mac people complain about the look, but it looks much nicer in your screenshot than it does on my Windows computer.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The link doesn't seem to work
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
mobydeek
mobydeek began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The link doesn't seem to work
Oops i removed it because I thought my original post was deleted.
Its back up. (same link)
mobydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Honestly, there's not much difference, so personally, I don't see the point.

Now, if you really want to redesign something and are willing to take a lot of flak, why not reskin or redesign the Calibre GUI? That would really help blow Hamstersoft out of the water, as you seem to intend to do- the website is just the storefront, so to speak.

(Side note: It's not that I'm unhappy with the GUI, but there probably is some room for improvement as far as design and usability goes.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert