Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Since 1.9.10, text slightly cut off on very bottom line

Ever since I got the 1.9.10 firmware I've noticed this when I have a full page ePUB.
Meaning if I have a line on the very bottom displayable line, the text on the bottom line is slightly cut off on the bottom part of the text, like it's trying to display the bottom bit of the text in a non-displayable area.

It's still readable tho, it's only about maybe 15% of the text cut off from only the very bottom line.

I've not noticed this until I got the 1.9.10 firmware, so I think it's a new bug.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 09-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interestingly, when I change the font from Georgia to Felbridge, the problem goes away.
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Indeed! The Kobo Product Manager SameerH has acknowledged the bug and said it will be patched in a update following shortly.

See post here.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
danskmacabre
Guru

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up!

I can live with it until it get patched shortly.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If the epub in question is not Digital Restriction Management locked, you can use Calibre to add an 8pt border on the bottom of the page, which will prevent the issue for being visible. If you are reading an affected book, making any change in the appearance (margin, line height, font, etc), will reflow the pages properly for that session.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru

Yeah I know, I do that and it works.
But it's beginning to be a pain to have to do that EVERY time I unlock my KT to read a book properly.
I really hope they get out a fix real soon.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I've experienced this, as well. I went to a smaller font size, and that's a decent enough adaptation to make for now, while waiting for the next update.

ETA: D'oh! That's exactly what Sameer suggested, in the link rjcroy posted; to change anything in reading settings.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 09-05-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Citing rjcroy and Sameer
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
If the epub in question is not Digital Restriction Management locked, you can use Calibre to add an 8pt border on the bottom of the page, which will prevent the issue for being visible. If you are reading an affected book, making any change in the appearance (margin, line height, font, etc), will reflow the pages properly for that session.
Changing the ePub via Calibre is a big no-no. You can end up with things not as intended. The best way to do it is to extract the CSS and add in an @page and under @page, put in the margin you want. Then put back the CSS and away you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The above workarounds (changing fonts, font size, etc) does not consistently work for me. It may fix the page I am reading, but then the next page will have the same error. And it is often missing a complete line, not just a portion of the line.

I do hope they fix this very quickly. I am back to using my Sony 650 again.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
clegare
clegare began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
When I turned off Show Margin Page Numbers in advanced settings it stopped cutting off the bottom line for some reason... maybe it'll work for others too?
clegare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Changing the ePub via Calibre is a big no-no. You can end up with things not as intended. The best way to do it is to extract the CSS and add in an @page and under @page, put in the margin you want. Then put back the CSS and away you go.

This is off-topic to this thread, but needs to be said somwhere.

Maybe instead of plastering your one man anti-calibre diatride crusade all over the place, you can provide specific examples of books that do not convert properly so that bugs can be fixed? I can assure you, that of the hundreds of books I've converted through Calibre, I've always ended up with fixing problems, not creating them. Certainly that's a better track record than encouraging non web design folk to open and edit CSS files. That's not to say that a book that doesn't work doesn't exist, and might need to be reverted, but a big no-no?

I've noticed that your haughty tone in posting often overshadows the value of your message.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Interestingly, when I change the font from Georgia to Felbridge, the problem goes away.
Doesn't work for me (but I don't care that much either).
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
Indeed! The Kobo Product Manager SameerH has acknowledged the bug and said it will be patched in a update following shortly.

See post here.
I must admit that after this post, I see no reason for the ongoing postings about how to code epub files etc. as the linked thread also explains a work-around until the patch comes out.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I must admit that after this post, I see no reason for the ongoing postings about how to code epub files etc. as the linked thread also explains a work-around until the patch comes out.
Except that workaround doesn't work for everyone.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This is off-topic to this thread, but needs to be said somwhere.

Maybe instead of plastering your one man anti-calibre diatride crusade all over the place, you can provide specific examples of books that do not convert properly so that bugs can be fixed? I can assure you, that of the hundreds of books I've converted through Calibre, I've always ended up with fixing problems, not creating them. Certainly that's a better track record than encouraging non web design folk to open and edit CSS files. That's not to say that a book that doesn't work doesn't exist, and might need to be reverted, but a big no-no?

I've noticed that your haughty tone in posting often overshadows the value of your message.
I do use Calibre for converting. I do like Calibre. It does a lot of things quite well. But it does some thing not so well. Conversion to PDB is one of the things done not so well. Converting ePub > ePub is a mixed bag. Take an ePub with an embedded font and convert it to ePub. You will find that every XML file now has the embedded font code instead of neatly once in the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote