Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #376
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
David, I did not get it for the Aura either. I had to resort to other methods <wink>.
I was looking at an Aura in the local Chapters. I did a sync on the demo unit while waiting for the staff to check if they had an onyx Aura in stock and it downloaded and upgraded to 2.5.2. They should never have left it connected to the store's wireless.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #377
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Maybe it depends on what region you're in? I'm in the Midwest US and I still haven't gotten the update even though I synced several times trying to get it to see the differences for myself.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #378
joeru
joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iphone ipad
Mine just upgraded automatically. The space taken at the bottom and now the top is quite large. That really needs to be changed to an option.
joeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #379
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
After the update I now have the stupid title always shown on top in .epubs as well.
What?!?! What a waste of screen space. Three thumbs down.

Now if they had an option to turn that on or off then fine. Glad I have the WiFi turned off on the Glo.

Last edited by TonyToews; 05-15-2013 at 05:50 PM.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #380
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That was an evil thing to do, now whoever buys the demo unit will be stuck with 2.5.2
You evil sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was looking at an Aura in the local Chapters. I did a sync on the demo unit while waiting for the staff to check if they had an onyx Aura in stock and it downloaded and upgraded to 2.5.2. They should never have left it connected to the store's wireless.

Regards,
David
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #381
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I went to check a word in the English dictionary of my new Aura today ("psychopomp"), only to be told that there is no English dictionary. Checking the settings, it seems that I have been given by default 6 translation dictionaries, but no English dictionary! It wants me to sync to download the English dictionary. Aaargh! I don't want to get 2.5.2, so I'm going to have to fool it somehow.

Why on earth would Kobo leave out the English dictionary by default??? The memory size was expanded to 4 Gbytes, so it's not like the Aura is short of memory.

Update: I managed to download and install the English dictionary separately following these instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196931

It works, but the Aura still thinks that I need to sync to get the English dictionary.

And it doesn't have "psychopomp".

Last edited by FJames; 05-15-2013 at 07:24 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #382
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
You might ask some nice person to upload the english dictionary file somewhere or email it to you.....

Though maybe someone will know if the dictionary file is all that is necessary, or whether somwhere in the database it will still think there's no dictionary.
So how about it experts? Can you just add the file with the right name, or not?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #383
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Just checked - still no 5.2 update for me in Aus.
My Touch upgraded to 2.5.2 this morning. So try again. Or turn the WiFi off if you don't want it at all
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #384
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Other Changes??

The title bar for epubs is well documented in this thread as one of the changes in 2.5.2. For those who have upgraded, willingly or not, are there other changes in this firmware? Not bugs, changes!

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #385
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just got the update on my Aura. While I still think their should be options to turn on/off both the header and footer data (separately) I don't find it totally horrible. Since there was already such a large footer area it kind of gives the page balance.

While they're adding the on/off header/footer option they can go ahead and either cut back on their widows/orphans setting or make that adjustable, from what reading I've been doing folks have been asking for that to be taken care of for a long time now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #386
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
For those who have upgraded, willingly or not, are there other changes in this firmware? Not bugs, changes!
Good question. Mine just updated, but the release notes I have in the device info have changed from 2.5.1 to 2.5.0 instead of 2.5.2.

Quote:
Release Notes

Version 2.5.0 4/4/13

Your eReader now has software version 2.5.0. With it, you can:

1. Read fixed layout EPUBs
2. Experience our improved Bookstore
3. Benefit from bug fixes
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #387
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Good question. Mine just updated, but the release notes I have in the device info have changed from 2.5.1 to 2.5.0 instead of 2.5.2.
Mine is still on 2.5.1 and the release notes are for 2.5.0, they didn't update the release notes for 2.5.1 and it would appear they didn't update them for 2.5.2 either, a common issue with kobo.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #388
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Maybe it depends on what region you're in? I'm in the Midwest US and I still haven't gotten the update even though I synced several times trying to get it to see the differences for myself.
Seems to more dependent on the serial number of your ereader. Kobo seems to like staggering the update to keep the server load down.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #389
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I tried again and still got nothing.

I bought books Friday, Saturday, and very early Sunday morning and synced each time. It's not a big deal, just struck me as odd because the Mini updated immediately, as soon as I read here there was one available. I didn't try to do the Aura until the next day but had no success.

Oh well, it gets here when it gets here.
You want it and can't get it, I don't want it but got it nevertheless. Great Job Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Really! Displaying titles was intentional, this, clearly a bug. I'm pretty sure you need not insist to see it change.
taming, what is your relationship to Kobo exactly ? It is not the first time you allude to things you know, or strongly suspect, or are pretty sure of, so I am wondering, is somebody in your family or group of friends working for Kobo, or are you ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #390
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
taming, what is your relationship to Kobo exactly ?
As it says in my MR profile and which I have said from time to time here, I'm a mental health educator in Alberta, Canada. As I have also said, I have been a beta group member since the beta group was first established and an enthusiastic Kobo device user since the day the first one was released.

I have no other relationship with Kobo. I do have a whole lot of experience with Kobo in these totally unpaid and informal ways and I am pretty good at reading between the lines. I also read voraciously and widely and research topics that interest me. I enjoy sharing what I consider interesting and relevant to discussions here when I find them.

Is it your plan to ask anyone who says something positive about Kobo, or who speculates without damning, if they are undercover Kobo plants, or am I special?

PS: As for the comment you quoted (and bolded), it is not rocket science, nor does it take insider knowledge, to think that bugs will be fixed (though often not as soon as any of us would like).

Last edited by taming; 05-16-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added the PS
taming is offline   Reply With Quote