Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
He certainly knew the importance of the
?? Not sure but I think part of your post got cut off kennyc.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Pregnant pause? Suspenseful chapter ending? Completed sentence?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Pregnant pause? Suspenseful chapter ending? Completed sentence?
Good point gmw. I've just had so much experience of my thoughts outrunning my fingers that I wondered if his posting had been cut off by accident.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Ha!

Sorry...

He certainly knew the importance of a great opening line.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not at all surprised to see the opening line from King's Gunslinger in the list. It's almost archetypal in nature.

Quote:
"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."
Love it or hate it (Dark Tower), that simple line perfectly set the tone for everything that was to follow.

Some of my favorites include:

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

I am seated in an office, surrounded by heads and bodies.

It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton.

This time there would be no witnesses.

(Sources spoilered for those who may want to guess. )
Spoiler:
Neuromancer — William Gibson
Infinite Jest — David Foster Wallace
The Illuminatus Trilogy! — Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson.
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency — Douglas Adams.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
I admit that sometimes I think as much about opening lines as I do about the title itself, which is to say that I think quite a bit about both. There's just something about both, and the way that each is, in its own way, what people always end up noticing first.

Is the title catchy and interesting?

Does the first line induce me into wanting to read more?

Having a good title and good opening line might actually be as important as actually having a good book in getting people to pick it up and buy/read it.

I don't know that I'm actually any good at putting it into practice, but it is something that I've noticed I pay more attention to lately.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Garrett for your thoughts and Welcome to MR!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Garrett for your thoughts and Welcome to MR!
Thanks! I had this forum pointed out to me as a good site for self-published writers to get together and talk, maybe mention their own novels [in the appropriate threads], but I figured it would be a good idea to hit up some other threads first and get involved in some discussions before I eventually wander over to the self-promotion area.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
kennyc

What type of writing do you do?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #25
J. Garrett
Enthusiast

Quote:
What type of writing do you do?
Novels, mostly, although I have written a few short stories. I generally write in the fantasy or science-fiction genres, although I somehow ended up getting dragged into the murder mystery genre, only to find out that I really liked it.

Right now, I'm trying to expand my internet presence, get involved with more online communities, make connections, and the like.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
kennyc

Thanks! Be sure to post you publications links in the Self-Promotion thread as well as your blog/website in that sub-thread.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Garrett View Post
I admit that sometimes I think as much about opening lines as I do about the title itself, which is to say that I think quite a bit about both. There's just something about both, and the way that each is, in its own way, what people always end up noticing first.

Is the title catchy and interesting?

Does the first line induce me into wanting to read more?

Having a good title and good opening line might actually be as important as actually having a good book in getting people to pick it up and buy/read it.

I don't know that I'm actually any good at putting it into practice, but it is something that I've noticed I pay more attention to lately.
I think you make a good point. The two (title and first lines) do seem to become linked. Think of "A tale of two cities" for example and most people would quote at least a part of the opening line I'd think.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #28
skio
skio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle app for PC,Nook app for PC,Kobo app for PC ready to be installe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
I'll be honest. First lines are not my strength. I keep trying to come up with something magical, but it always sounds lame. I believe truly great first lines are a combination of inspiration and luck.
Hey ,John,
you're wrong here.I like just your style of "direct intro" ,hm..."Blu hared girlfriend" comes first in mind .
Do not understimate yourself,second me first line's destiny is "be read
of the right person in the right moment taking part of the right persons
life period" -seen like this no first line has more than 40% of chances
of success.
Good writing and keep doing those your "direct intro's",we know that first
lines are not your strength.
skio is offline   Reply With Quote