Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
eBookwise 1150

I recently purchased the eBookwise 1150 and am very pleased with the unit given the quality and low cost. Reading on the unit is great (I previously used by Palm Tunsten E). However, since eBookwise is a Fictionwise company, why aren't all the books on Fictionwise available in a format that can be read by the eBookwise. Fictionwise continues to add good titles while eBookwise lags behind.

Any thoughts?
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Hi genebear. Welcome to Mobileread!
I share your thoughts regarding the gap in titles offered on Ebookwise compared to Fictionwise. My own solution to this problem isn't exactly without it's problems but I do it because if I bought the ebook I believe I should be allowed to "format shift" it if necessary.

What I do is purchase and download the Microsoft Reader (LIT) version of a book when it's available. Then I use a program called ConvertLIT to explode it into html. Then I can take that file into GEBLibrarian and convert it for the Ebookwise. There's some info in this thread. Also you can do a search on this forum and/or Google for ConvertLIT.

I haven't purchased anything from Fictionwise in a few months so I'm assuming this still works. Again it's not a perfect solution but it's worked rather well for me and I've enjoyed reading books I got from Fictionwise on my Ebookwise. Hopefully the Ebookwise store will eventually catch up. But I wonder if the cost of converting so many books to this format isn't cost prohibitive considering the level of ebook sales.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
WarStrider
WarStrider began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Reader Pro
It has to do with the publishers. The ebookwise device uses a secure encrypted format, but the volume of sales is not very high. So I think that most do not think it worth their time converting the books to this format. Its a shame really, the ebookwise reader is very good. The publishing houses need to stop dragging their feet and offer multiple secure formats. But who knows what kind of back room deals are going on with ebook capable device manufacturers.
WarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote