Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Lake person
Enthusiast
Lake person began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Bebook, Pocketbook 360
Cybook or Bebook

Hello,

Ordered a new Cybook 2 weeks ago. On backorder until August at the earliest. Looked around the net and came across the Bebook.
All I am looking for is an easy to use ebook reader that suppor Mobipocketbook. Also I have Windows Vista. Of course I don't want to spend a million dollors. So Cybook or Bebook?

Lake:
Lake person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have an EZ Reader (Hanlin V3, like the BeBook), but the Cybook is probably the better MOBI ebook reader. Its advantages are: a) 12 font sizes (vs 3), b) dictionary support, c) thumbnail cover images in its library view. The next firmware will also support folders, which the BeBook already has. A downside of the Gen3 is significantly shorter battery life than the BeBook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake person View Post
Hello,

Ordered a new Cybook 2 weeks ago. On backorder until August at the earliest. Looked around the net and came across the Bebook.
All I am looking for is an easy to use ebook reader that suppor Mobipocketbook. Also I have Windows Vista. Of course I don't want to spend a million dollors. So Cybook or Bebook?

Lake:
Cybook:
Pros:
- Thumbnail view for Mobipocket files in the bookshelf.
- 2 versions. 1 with DRMed .epub and 1 with DRMed .prc.
I wouldn't know how to measure it, but to me the display quality of Cybook seems superior to BeBook.
Cons:
- Buttons on the left not really ergonomically.
- No standby.

BeBook:
Pros:
- OpenInkpot (replacement OS): I haven't tried it, as I simply don't like my BeBook, but there are very positive reviews.
- User replaceable battery.
Cons:
- Feels and looks cheap.
Quote from PC Pro's online review: "Unfortunately, first impressions are underwhelming. Whereas the Sony PRS-505 slid from the box like a Bentley whispering out of the showroom, there's a real bargain basement feel to the BeBook". (Unfortunately, I didn't know about that review before ordering: But I have to agree.)
- Never happened to me, but some report BeBook being unstable.

You easily can "trick" Kindle 2 ($ 299) into processing Mobipocket as well.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-20-2009 at 04:27 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Lake person
Enthusiast

Although there are great reviews (and bad) for Sony and Kindle I want the freedom to buy ebooks where I want. This is important to me.
Lake
Old 07-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Although there are great reviews (and bad) for Sony and Kindle I want the freedom to buy ebooks where I want. This is important to me.
Lake
You can purchase standard Mobipocket files wherever you want for Kindle (very simple procedure). You don't have to use Amazon.
But usually Amazon is about 15% cheaper than the others.

My personal ranking for Mobipocket:
iRex iLiad, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iRex 1000S, Cybook, BeBook
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello,

Lake:
I'd like to make a suggestion. Get a device that supports ePub with Adobe's DRM. Mobipocket is falling by the wayside as far as support on eink devices. You'd be better off with ePub in the long run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to make a suggestion. Get a device that supports ePub with Adobe's DRM. Mobipocket is falling by the wayside as far as support on eink devices. You'd be better off with ePub in the long run.
From "Weltbild" (read in the forum about a Spanish supplier as well) you can order a Cybook version, supporting .epub (they've cancelled Mobipocket in that, because Mobipocket doesn't allow any other DRM next to it).
Personally, I'm not a fan of .epub, because I don't like reflow. (Prefer zooming PDFs on iRex iLiad for example.)
But it's obviously the "coming format" and already has kind of a "quasi standard" status.
As I've mentioned Kindle before: I don't expect .epub coming to Kindle. Amazon most likely will try to keep their competition from Kindle and (from Amazon's point of view) already there are way too many sources for buying .epub.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I am only guessing, but my guess is that when the Cybook is back in stock it will be a slightly different (upgraded) model. This can be good news if you like the latest features, but it does mean that we can't be sure exactly which features/formats will be supported.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
As previously mentioned, mobi is being dropped. It appears as if BeBook, and other V3 based devices, might be dropping Mobi in favor of Adobe's new DRM. Others are dropping Mobi too. If I am understanding it correctly, Mobi only lets devices use it as the only DRM available on the device. Meaning, no epub and mobi support, or mobi and anything else.

I personally just ordered a PRS-505 the other day, because I wanted epub support. Most of the ebooks I have now are in oebzip format, which is the basis for drm epub (meaning easy conversion. What is nice about that, is how easy it is to find DRM'ed books it'll read. For instance my school bookstore only supports Adobe epubs when it comes to ebooks.

I did think about a Cybook, till I saw how few formats it supported.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I did think about a Cybook, till I saw how few formats it supported.
How many formats a device supports is not nearly as important (IMHO) as how well it supports them. I would far rather have a device which supports one format extremely well, than a dozen formats poorly.

The CyBook unquestionably has the best support for Mobipocket of any eInk device currently on the market, and will shortly also offer the choice of using a firmware version which supports ePub, too. (ie two different firmware versions, one supporting Mobi, the other ePub.). That, to my mind, gives you the best of both worlds.

The BeBook's Mobi support is, by all accounts, not wonderful. Not terrible, but not wonderful. Eg, it does not support dictionary lookup; a feature which, to me personally, is important.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Lake person
Enthusiast

Thank you for all your opinions. Will take all under consideration and make a decision.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I have both. I don't buy DRM-ed e-books, so mobipocket support is not a critical to me.

From a usability standpoint, both work reasonably well. The BeBook has a more "buttony" user interface, the CyBook is more early Ipod-ish. You may have a preference...

If you ever branch out beyond Mobi, the BeBook is better, hands down. Inside the world of Mobi, the CYBook is better.

I'm looking at both of them, side by side, right now. I'm afraid I don't see any "cheapness" in the BeBook. It's a little thicker and shorter than the CyBook, and the CyBook's plastic case is black instead of charcoal grey, both they are both made of the same screen and both cases are made of plastic. I guess I'm esthetically challenged.

Whichever liseuse you buy, budget for the deluxe cover. They're worth it! The CyBook cover has two really nifty magnets the hold it closed when not in use, and it cradles the liseuse better. But, and this is a big but, the CyBook loads in from the top, which means it could slide out if it got held upside down. The Bebook uses a friction strap for a closure, (not as good), and doesn't cradle the liseuse as well. But it has two advantages over the CyBook. One, it loads into the case from the left side, which means when it is closed, it can't fall out. Second the screen cover portion of the cover folds in two, with the inside having slots for 2 more SD chips built in, as well as slots for business cards and/or thin notes. Handy.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
But, and this is a big but, the CyBook loads in from the top, which means it could slide out if it got held upside down.
I honestly can't imagine the CyBook falling out of its case - the friction between the case and the device holds it pretty firmly in place.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I have both. I don't buy DRM-ed e-books, so mobipocket support is not a critical to me.

From a usability standpoint, both work reasonably well. The BeBook has a more "buttony" user interface, the CyBook is more early Ipod-ish. You may have a preference...

If you ever branch out beyond Mobi, the BeBook is better, hands down. Inside the world of Mobi, the CYBook is better.

I'm looking at both of them, side by side, right now. I'm afraid I don't see any "cheapness" in the BeBook. It's a little thicker and shorter than the CyBook, and the CyBook's plastic case is black instead of charcoal grey, both they are both made of the same screen and both cases are made of plastic. I guess I'm esthetically challenged.

Whichever liseuse you buy, budget for the deluxe cover. They're worth it! The CyBook cover has two really nifty magnets the hold it closed when not in use, and it cradles the liseuse better. But, and this is a big but, the CyBook loads in from the top, which means it could slide out if it got held upside down. The Bebook uses a friction strap for a closure, (not as good), and doesn't cradle the liseuse as well. But it has two advantages over the CyBook. One, it loads into the case from the left side, which means when it is closed, it can't fall out. Second the screen cover portion of the cover folds in two, with the inside having slots for 2 more SD chips built in, as well as slots for business cards and/or thin notes. Handy.
The "Cheapness" of BeBook becomes most obvious if compared to Sony 505.
Sony not at all looks and feel like "cheap plastic", but like an elegant gadget,
But even Cybook, in my opinion, looks more elegant.
Maybe it's the "imprint" on the buttons of BeBook? Kind of looks "improvised".
It's "blocky design" reminds me of C64 (which I LOVED) or something of that era. There are quite a few reviews online, claiming the "ugliness"....
Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Lake person
Enthusiast

Sorry Harry, I asked the origional question because I have a Cybook and it went diagonal sqaures on me and my computer wont recognise it and in the end after trying everything Bookeen said it is on it's way to France (Bookeen). So, I have had my Cybook one month over a year and the case is lovely but seems to have become loose around the Cybook and I have had to catch the Cybook as it has slid out of the cover more than once. So, yes it does happen.
I have cancelled my order for another Cybook. Bad feeling about the backordering. First they said July 1st, then August 1st and now maybe August 10th the next Cybook order will be in. Maybe. I Have ordered a Bebook. Will be here by Friday. Hopefully. Have learned never to count on shipping. So that is my decision. Of course will keep my open for a backup of something.