Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
epotter
epotter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
The hunt for more titles

I'm new to the ebook scene, having just received a 505 for Christmas. I went to pick up some additional reading material from the Connect store. I was surprised to discover that they don't have anything by Tom Clancy.

Is there a reason they don't sell books by such a prominent author?
epotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by epotter View Post
Is there a reason they don't sell books by such a prominent author?
Either the Author doesn't want them released as ebooks, or the publisher hasn't gotten around to releasing them. IIRC his publisher is Putnam (part of Penguin). Penguin is very hit or miss when it comes to what they make available & how they price it.

It isn't just Sony though, Clancy's books aren't available as ebooks anywhere, at least not officially.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
I remember reading something stating Tom Clancy does not/will not allow his books to be released in ebook form due to piracy. So I guess the only way you can get them is by pirating them. Ironic, yeah?
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Plus.. The Sony Bookstore is Lame...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Plowman
Plowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Something along these lines that I was recently disappointed with:

I recently found out that some of the local libraries offered services to "check out" e-books. I was excited until I went looking through their collections and couldn't find a single book that I had read in the last couple years...and I read 50+ books a year from many different genres. I think I did a generic search for all books and realized that I had a larger collection than they did. Now, maybe this was just a local library thing for me, but it was disappointing.

P
Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
So, not just lame, but Lame! I'll take you at your word for it, Roy. And I can't really disagree although I would have just said lame.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Well, I would say Connect is not lame, they do have some good ones, and they keep updating. They don't have everything of course, but I have more than enough reading material to last me a year or two At every update I find at least one book I want to check out!

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
There are many sources other than CONNECT, see this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052

Tom Clancy's choices are the sort of business decision that should be left up to authors and publishers. The Beatles decades long legal dispute with Apple drove their iTunes business decisions. It's how things go in the real world. For a guy who writes high-tech books to shun book technology, there must be history where he got burned. Nothing we can do but ask nicely for him to reconsider.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Someguy
Someguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Its not just the Sony store. I did a quick search, and couldn't find any Tom Clancey Ebooks. Not even for the Kindle.
I remember about a year ago when I was first looking at ebooks, I couldnt find any titles by Dean Koontz. But by the time I got my Sony for Christmas, they had dozens of his books. Give it time, and maybe the publishers will come around.
Someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
Give it time, and maybe the publishers will come around.
In this case it's the author, but yes given time he might come around.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #11
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My plan is to simply boycott any stores that offer DRM'd works until after I wade through Baen's books and Project Gutenberg. I suspect I'm going to spend a lot of money at Baen's site...
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
DRM is quickly being able to be removed. So it's not that much of an issue at the moment.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I disagree, Jon. It is and will be an issue for most users. Most owners of readers won't know about DRM removal software. Of the few that do, most won't be anxious to try to find it and figure out how to use it. And many won't bother because of either ethical or legal concerns. Really, most of us just want to buy content from the vendor who supports the readers that we have and be done with it. Until that happens, it (the availability of content) will remain a central issue.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just use torrents and steal them books; there ain't no BRIAA!!!! Ha-ha lol!!
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Spooky 69: we are a legitimate site and do not condone such illegal activities. Authors have to make a living. Even Tom Clancy (though he doesn't seem to realise that he has a potential ebook readership).
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote