Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Mark your calendar: O'Reilly TOC Conference 22-24 February

The fourth annual O'Reilly Tools of Change Conference is going to kick off in just over a month. It promises to be a fascinating 3 days in New York City. Topics include:
  • Ebook Contracts: Critical Terms and Lessons Learned from Both Sides of the Table
  • Reinvent as an Economic Necessity
  • Copyright-In-Motion
  • Running Two Companies: Taking Book Publishing Beyond Publishing Books
  • A Different Model: Building a Digital Publishing House
  • Rethinking Copyright for the Digital World
  • The Next Generation of Ebooks: Invent It or Witness It!
  • How Academics and Students Use Ebooks: Evidence from the JISC National Ebooks
  • The Future of Digital Textbooks
  • Going Beyond Ebooks: One Publisher's Journey from a Book to Training, Print to Digital

It does look interesting, doesn't it? Unfortunately, MobileRead won't be covering the conference. We can't afford the $1600 fee.

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-13-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Bummer. I'd love to go, NYC isn't far from me but that is way too much money.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

It does look interesting, doesn't it? Unfortunately, MobileRead won't b covering the conference. We can't afford the $1600 fee.
This conference is for publishers who're not quite sure what their ebook strategy should be and who fear getting left behind if they don't 'get into' digital publishing right now. O'Reilly Media is one of the few publishing industry orgs that have a well-defined ebook strategy, and the conference is simply O'Reilly's way of making money off of other people's ignorance and insecurities. The conference isn't meant for ebook users, and the discussions are not likely to be useful or enlightening for the average MobileRead visitor except for the odd tidbit about O'Reilly's digital sales figures. O'Reilly's ebook strategies don't translate well to mainstream publishing and other technical publishers (Packt, Manning) already seem to be doing well selling ebooks. So I'm not sure if the conference is really worth $1600 to anyone. But fear has always played a big role in parting people from their money, and I'm sure this conference will be no different.

In any case, that's $1600 well-spent elsewhere Nate!

Edit: If you're a publisher who wants to 'get' ebooks but has no idea how to go about it, this conference is indeed a good starting point, but you'll still have to hire 'digital media consultants' when you get down to implementing an ebook strategy. But you'll know who to hire, because you'll meet them at this conference!

Last edited by anurag; 01-13-2010 at 06:41 PM.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Is the Ibis Reader program going to be released there?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
This conference is for publishers who're not quite sure what their ebook strategy should be and who fear getting left behind if they don't 'get into' digital publishing right now. O'Reilly Media is one of the few publishing industry orgs that have a well-defined ebook strategy, and the conference is simply O'Reilly's way of making money off of other people's ignorance and insecurities. The conference isn't meant for ebook users, and the discussions are not likely to be useful or enlightening for the average MobileRead visitor except for the odd tidbit about O'Reilly's digital sales figures. O'Reilly's ebook strategies don't translate well to mainstream publishing and other technical publishers (Packt, Manning) already seem to be doing well selling ebooks. So I'm not sure if the conference is really worth $1600 to anyone. But fear has always played a big role in parting people from their money, and I'm sure this conference will be no different.
Oh, I know it's not worth $1600. I tried to get a press pass and was rebuffed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I thought the topics looked really interesting, and I'm very interested in not only O'Reilly's viewpoints of the topics being discussed but also viewpoints of other attendees. I have to imagine that many of the attendees will be small publishers trying to take advantage of the new digital age of books. The conference also has some pretty big name sponsors for the event (Adobe, Mirasol, Google, and HP are a few). I don't have the cash, or more importantly the time, but I look forward to hearing about the conference.

If anyone is going, please let us know. BTW, if anyone does register, they can use the discount code “toc10bosq” and save $250 (this is from the site booksquare.com which is a pretty nice site).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Oh, I know it's not worth $1600. I tried to get a press pass and was rebuffed.
No kidding - for all their talk about 'harnessing new media', they turned down an excellent opportunity for free publicity through a powerful 'new media' channel.

You could try messaging Tim O'Reilly on Twitter from MobileRead's account - he's a smart guy, should know better than to turn down thousand of free eyeballs.

Last edited by anurag; 01-13-2010 at 08:10 PM.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #8
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
This might be a bit crazy, and I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I would donate a small amount to a fund (paypal?) to send Nate/MR rep to the conference in return for full, thorough, professional reviews? (not that we've come to expect anything less Nate! )

If anyone else is interested, I'll pledge 50$ right now.

Any takers?
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd pledge $50.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Hey folks,
Actually TOC is the preeminent industry conference on digital books. Many large houses send multiple representatives, as do book agencies, standards group (BISG, IDPF, etc) and last year they even held an event before Frankfurt. The keynote speaker is Arianna Huffington.

And if you can find me a small press that has the cash for a $1600 ticket and three nights in New York, I will... well, be very surprised.

Anyway, I'm going and will be happy to report back.

Nic
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Excellent, nboshart. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Great stuff NBOshart. looking forward to it too.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote