Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Question Kindle DX two-up in Landscape mode?

I have not heard it discussed anywhere.

Does the Kindle DX display side-by-side novel pages as an option in landscape mode. It would be so cool if it did.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No, it expands the width so you get a full-size page.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It does have an option for wider margins in landscape mode, but not a double page mode.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up Come on Amazon!

Darn it! There's the real opportunity.

Maybe in a firmware upgrade???? Pretty please???
Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I agree with you detayls - that would be a great feature. So far I am quite disappointed by the fact that Amazon doesn't provide firmware updates to add new features as other companies do so I'm not holding my breath. If I compare my iPhone and Sony PSP now to when I bought them they are hugely improved but I can't think of a feature that my K1 has added - it and even one removed (now-now).
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmumford View Post
I agree with you detayls - that would be a great feature. So far I am quite disappointed by the fact that Amazon doesn't provide firmware updates to add new features as other companies do so I'm not holding my breath. If I compare my iPhone and Sony PSP now to when I bought them they are hugely improved but I can't think of a feature that my K1 has added - it and even one removed (now-now).
Actually, from the original K1 firmware, there has been one feature added. Audible audiobooks is what was added.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, from the original K1 firmware, there has been one feature added. Audible audiobooks is what was added.
The 1.2 firmware for K1 gave it WhisperSync, Image Zoom, and support for Greek and Monospace fonts.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The 1.2 firmware for K1 gave it WhisperSync, Image Zoom, and support for Greek and Monospace fonts.
Granted you and JSWolf are correct - there have been a few very minor (IMHO) new features added, but not nearly as much as they could have made. What about support for folders, full PDF support, landscape viewing, tables, and I'm sure a few other obvious features that escape me.

I want it all man!
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My K1 which came with firmware version 1.0.8 included support for Audible books (purchased April 2008). Are you saying that version 1.0.4 (I think) did not support Audible?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Got mine in in December 07 - came with Audible support. I doubt if there had been any firmware updates issued at that time.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
detayls
Addict

Don't let up...

Come on folks! Don't give up.

This is a really good think to ask for.

Amazon! We need this.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's a good idea, perhaps petition Amazon about it, it would be a nice firmware update.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
detayls
Addict

Wink Two Columns?

Can anyone with a Kindle DX confirm any two column in landscape mode functionality with standard Kindle books?

If this feature is not present then I fear that regular books with have simply too long a text line for most readers.

It's not a coincidence that newspapers and magazines use narrow column formats and multiple columns per page. It is an obvious fact that overlong lines are difficult and tiring to read.

Go on.... make my day...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Can anyone with a Kindle DX confirm any two column in landscape mode functionality with standard Kindle books?

If this feature is not present then I fear that regular books with have simply too long a text line for most readers.

It's not a coincidence that newspapers and magazines use narrow column formats and multiple columns per page. It is an obvious fact that overlong lines are difficult and tiring to read.

Go on.... make my day...
Sorry - no 2 column mode in landscape.
I guess you don't feel lucky today punk! (Apologies to Dirty Harry)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
detayls
Addict

Darn. I guess I'll wait and see if they adopt this. It strikes me as a no brainer.

I do feel lucky though. How hard would this be to do after all!