Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" Reviews: We Have a Winner

A meta-review. I've queued up the individual reviews into Instapaper for later consumption. This sounds very, very interesting.

Quote:
Engadget concludes:

[T]his is the best Honeycomb tablet to date, and lucky for you, the one's available to purchase! Only time will tell if the Android Market will prove to be as well-stocked as the App Store, and if you're willing to wait, this here slate provides a world-class Gmail experience, better handling than the iPad 2 (in our humble opinion, anyway) and a higher resolution display.

PCWorld chimes in:

Whether you go Wi-Fi only or opt for a connected version, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the first Android tablet that makes a credible, and successful, run at competing with Apple's iPad 2. It matches iPad in most every way-design, price, and even that intangible IT factor.

Quote:
Note, the reviews all around were much more positive than with the Motorola Xoom, and better even that the somewhat warmly received original Galaxy Tab (7-inch model).

Sounds like the wait was worth it -- Samsung may have a winner on its hands.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21854
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Opposed to the ipad (?). Opposed to other tabs (xoom, iconia, transformer), not so sure. There is not only apple in the competitors list........
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Indeed, i myself would not trade the slimmer/lighter Samsung tablet for my transformer, what where they thinking, no SD slot? If i could live with that, the ipad2 would be a contender (if you would not be bound to itunes, and could modify the GUI :-P ) There are even apps like coolreader that wil not install without the SD :-( It look cool though :-)
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
Indeed, i myself would not trade the slimmer/lighter Samsung tablet for my transformer, what where they thinking, no SD slot? If i could live with that, the ipad2 would be a contender (if you would not be bound to itunes, and could modify the GUI :-P ) There are even apps like coolreader that wil not install without the SD :-( It look cool though :-)
The Galaxy does look to be a sweet device, but the lack of SD slot killed it for me too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Good grief people...what is the obsession with the SD slot?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I would never buy a tablet with honeycomb without a sd slot and/or a usb connection possibility to an external hard drive. My tablet (with SD slot AND micro USB as well as USB ports) replaces my netbook very well.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Ohh Rocky do we have to go through this again

This may come as a shock to you but to many people tablets provide more than just being an app launcher. It provides a fully mulitmedia experience. So besides the fact you can expand memory. Because if you download alot of music, movies and videos those Gigs of memory are going to be gone quicker than you think.

but also to be able to load up your movies and photos directly to your device at any time. with the Sammy and the iPad nope make sure you have all your dongle crap in place and set it up.

Samsung made a beautiful looking tablet. I have no worries this is most likely the best looking screen out there. But to give up advantages just to be thin? It's too bad.
The ones that seem to rave about it are the ones who want everything to be a clone of the iPad.

For alot of us, we want something more than an app launcher

Last edited by boswd; 06-14-2011 at 10:00 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Ohh Rocky do we have to go through this again

This may come as a shock to you but to many people tablets provide more than just being an app launcher. It provides a fully mulitmedia experience. So besides the fact you can expand memory. Because if you download alot of music, movies and videos those Gigs of memory are going to be gone quicker than you think.

but also to be able to load up your movies and photos directly to your device at any time. with the Sammy and the iPad nope make sure you have all your dongle crap in place and set it up.

Samsung made a beautiful looking tablet. I have no worries this is most likely the best looking screen out there. But to give up advantages just to be thin? It's too bad.
The ones that seem to rave about it are the ones who want everything to be a clone of the iPad.

For alot of us, we want something more than an app launcher
I can't believe the day has come for me to write this but bowsd, this time () I fully agree with you.

There are many good tablets already on the market or coming out soon, just keep watching, and Samsung is an option but not the only one.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I can't believe the day has come for me to write this but bowsd, this time () I fully agree with you.

There are many good tablets already on the market or coming out soon, just keep watching, and Samsung is an option but not the only one.
thanks, I think
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
One of the reasons I bought the TF was the microSD slot, but so far I still haven't used it at all. With so many services like Dropbox, Amazon Android player, SkyDrive, Google Docs, etc, I find it very easy to access or stream my content. I also can control my PC from my TF. I still like having the option, and it probably will come in handy when I spend several hours stuck on o plane when I fly to Europe this summer, but it's funny how something that was a deal breaker for me just a couple weeks ago is now a rather irrelevant feature.

I never play movies on my tablet, maybe that's an important factor.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, movies are the biggest space gobblers. Of course, when you have a device without expansion capabilities you make the best of it, but if you still haven't bought a device, why settle for less?

No expansion capabilities in a device holding only 16-32 GBs, that is ridiculous in my opinion. Another case of planned obsolescence -- they want you to upgrade that device next year. What they should do is stick 128GBs into the tablets, then there would be less reason to have an SD card. Those "cloud" options need unlimited 3G/4G plans and don't offer much space.

But even if you have enough memory, an SDHC card also offers easy file exchange between computers, tablets, phones, cameras. Rockdaman, even if you don't need it --- it is too easy to see what a great value an expansion slot is.

Let us hope the device makers get the message and don't blindly follow the Almighty Steve's ideas (and he only excludes and SD slot because he doesn't want you to sideload) just to get good reviews from some Apple-centric bloggers.

Last edited by HansTWN; 06-14-2011 at 09:52 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #12
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
I think the iPad is a better reading device. The 10.1" is a widescreen tablet, so it will be narrower when held in portrait mode.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
I think the iPad is a better reading device. The 10.1" is a widescreen tablet, so it will be narrower when held in portrait mode.
I guess that depends. If you like reading in landscape the sammy is a nicer choice
Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i've just ordered the gt10.1. i'll be picking it up in a few hours.

i've found that i really don't use sd card slot for anything but flashing roms/themes from clockwork. i keep all my movies on the main storage. and since i delete them after watching, space really isn't an issue. plus the fact that tegra 2 is pretty crappy with playing high profile hd i end up reencoding most my stuff to smaller file sizes.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Still waiting for the GT10.1 to be delivered to Colorado. None of the Best Buys have them yet (I was there just after opening this morning and again around 3pm), and am on waiting lists at my 3 closest stores.

My beloved, rooted Nook Color may be relegated to stepchild status if I love the new GT as much as I think I will. Still not 100% sold on that 10.1" form factor but it is much thinner than my NC and not that much heavier. My other reservations are the non-standard connector (really, Samsung? Couldn't do a micro-USB, could you?) and the lack of an SD slot. I do appreciate the redesign from this year's earlier introduction but how many square millimeters does a micro-SD slot take up anyway?

I spent some time dinking with Honeycomb 3.1 on the Xoom today, and found it just different enough to make it more fun than Froyo. The few Honeycomb specific widgets really are nice. I also installed the Nook app and Aldiko to test reading on the Xoom --- very nice. Reading on the thinner, lighter GT10.1 (and without the store's security thingie) should prove to be even more rewarding than on my NC.

Without actually touching a GT10.1 yet, I'm pretty sure this will be my new favorite toy. I hope the 32gb version make it no later than Sunday; we are leaving on vacation early Monday, and what a truly excellent toy this would be for me on the plane ride and while the missus is driving!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote