Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Yes, I agree it's probably firmware, not hardware, but I agree with Corkobo that it really shouldn't crash. If it does this often enough to annoy, it just isn't good enough for a production device.

I know it's a bit of a hobbyhorse of mine, but I still think that we should register our unacceptance of poor firmware by returning devices that we are unhappy with. If we just sit and wait for firmware updates - which may NEVER fix the problem, we are only allowing the makers to sit and enjoy their profits - and there'll be less incentive for them to do the job right now or in future.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Yes, I agree it's probably firmware, not hardware, but I agree with Corkobo that it really shouldn't crash. If it does this often enough to annoy, it just isn't good enough for a production device.

I know it's a bit of a hobbyhorse of mine, but I still think that we should register our unacceptance of poor firmware by returning devices that we are unhappy with. If we just sit and wait for firmware updates - which may NEVER fix the problem, we are only allowing the makers to sit and enjoy their profits - and there'll be less incentive for them to do the job right now or in future.
Haven't got your fortitude. Until a more pleasant ereading device comes along they will have to pry my Kobo Mini from my cold dead hands.

I know you are right and I may return my T1 which is far more buggy and a firmware update is not too likely from Sony it seems.

Kobo should be able to fix the multiple page turns easily and the crashing when changing fonts problem and I hope they will, but I can live with them.

On a positive note I started reading a book with triple line paragraph breaks. Got on my nerves so I fixed it and resent it. Kobo messed up my front page books but remembered the place I was reading in that book even after it was changed and resent.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I had a similar crash on my brand new Glo when trying to change the margins on a sideloaded ePub, and when changing font size. It doesn't crash every time, but it seemed to crash more often (perhaps even every time) when I tried changing the margins while the light is on.
It's probably a firmware problem, which I hope they'll address with their next firmware release. Come to think about it, my Touch also crashed yesterday when changing font size, which never happened before. Something broken there in 2.1.5.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
OK, now that I see that more people have had similar issues (and also on the Touch) I believe that it is firmware.
This means an exchange would not solve my problem.

And while I agree with jusmee's point in the abstract I also agree with speakingtohe in the sense that I cannot see a better alternative for me to the Kobo Glo at the moment.

Thank you very much to everyone who answered me, I will now clean up my EPUBs before sideloading and I will also patiently wait for a new firmware update.

Talking of which, will the new firmware update automatically load (once it is released) when I connect my Glo to the Kobo Desktop app or do I have to download it from Kobo?

Thank you.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Firmware updates are automatic as you connect your reader to your computer running Kobo desktop software sync with Kobo servers or connect reader by wifi and sync with Kobo. There is only a message of downloading update. Only way to avoid these updates good or bad is not to buy and download books from Kobo directly to your reader. If you download firmware updates yourself from some posted source it might not be compatible with your reader.

Kobo does new firmware updates slowly taking weeks for all Kobo readers to update. This way they can limit spread of buggy firmware updates. Bugs in Kobo updates are not uncommon so consider yourself lucky if your not first to get up dated. While waiting is frustrating you will eventually get a better update.

If you only use Adobe software to load books bought from Kobo onto your reader you can avoid firmware updates.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #21
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Thank you filmo.

I am a technological optimist (I have to be, I was a programmer for 15 years) so I will take all firmware updates as soon as they come.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I don't worry about my readers software problems because 1 my readers is sure to work.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #23
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Get the Modify epub plugin for calibre and remove the margins using it. That my do the trick.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote