Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Zenline
Zenline began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Is this normal?

Can anyone please tell me if this is a common characteristic of e-ink screens?
This one here is a prs-350 that I just bought and it has some sort of ghosting from the previous page that appears sometimes, I noticed that usually the menu leaves a subtle ghost on the following page. Not sure if I should worry or not, it's pretty faint and doesn't bother me much but I'd like to know if it's normal or not, thank you.

On the first image the reader is in sleep mode and ghosting still visible.
I increased the contrast of the image a bit to show better the affected area.

Zenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I've noted some ghosting, but it usually goes away after a page turn and hasn't effected my reading experience.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Normal
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Brian M
Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: PRS-950
Happens on my 950 as well, I assumed it was normal.
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Zenline
Zenline began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Thanks for answering, it's not much of a tragedy but I feel relieved now knowing it's normal. I saw one at Waterstone's on display and the screen had very pregnant ghosting I didn't know if it was from excessive handling or other causes and that got me a bit worried.
Zenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
If the ghosting gets in your way, click the option button twice (open and close the menu). This re-draws most of the screen and in my experience, clears up the artifacts of prior screens.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote