Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
mak4311
mak4311 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Can't convert Word documents

Hi,
Got a problem with Calibre - can't convert .doc or .docx (converting to epub).
Error message: couldn't convert book because no supported source format.
If I save the document in another format - pdf, rtf, html (Calibre for some reason shows as .zip instead of .html) - converts without any problem.
Documents can be from "made from scratch" to "copy text from Internet page", added or dragged in - result is the same. Just downloaded newest Calibre 0.9.14 - didn't help.
What can be a problem?
mak4311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre does not directly support conversion of Word documents (although there is now a plugin to handle .docx files). The best thing to do with Word documents is to load them into Word and then save them as HTML (filtered) and then add the HTML file to Calibre. The HTML should convert without problems.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
or use Open Office w/Writer2EPUB for a more direct (and free) route to EPUB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
mak4311
mak4311 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thank you, so it is "inbuilt feature".
IMO .doc and .docx should be removed from supported formats to prevent confusion.
mak4311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak4311 View Post
Thank you, so it is "inbuilt feature".
IMO .doc and .docx should be removed from supported formats to prevent confusion.
They are NOT on the list of supported formats for conversion (the list s given here).

Note that calibre can STORE formats that it cannot convert so maybe that is the confusion?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
or use Open Office w/Writer2EPUB for a more direct (and free) route to EPUB
Thanks for that tip! You've just saved me a ton of hassles.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
They are NOT on the list of supported formats for conversion (the list s given here).

Note that calibre can STORE formats that it cannot convert so maybe that is the confusion?
itimpi, can you tell me where I can see the list of formats that Calibre can store but not convert

Its not the Behaviour->Inputs list, because that does not have .doc, only .docx; but I can drop .doc's into the Book Details panel and they show up as a format.

I think the only thing that Calibre can do with a .doc is to store it in a book folder, open it in the associated program, and open it in a program designated in Open With.

This begs the question, so why can't it store .xls, ppt, mp3, .avi... files and do the same with them ?

thanks BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre can store any file at all, simply select the all files filter in the add books dialog. But it will only allow drag and drop adding of known "text document" file types. You cannot D 'nD arbitrary files into calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
for that - what a Gem

I probably clicked on Add Books a couple of times when I first got Calibre, but its not even in my tool bars today.

I use the command line to create empty books and then drop the format files into the empty book - it suits me better do it that way.

Being able to add arbitrary files to a book creates some interesting possibilities. My only wish would be that the File Type selector would use the 'same as last time'.

Thanks again Kovid

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote