Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
split function bug ?

I do what usually works i.e. place cursor where I want the split to take place & clik on the sigil symbol in menu bar.

but it creates an empty split file and leaves the entire contents still on the file that I was trying to split.

is this a program bug, or an issue with my book. ....

i try a different book & split works as it should - very strange

seems to only happen in this one book & when I split in apparent white space , at left hand margin, before a chapter number

e.g.

end of chapter 23 text
[whitespace]
[more whtespace]

the bug is when I try to split anywhere in that "whitespace" above the line that says 24 in this code
Code:
<p class="calibre12"></p><br class="calibre1" />
    <br class="calibre1" />
    <a class="calibre8" id="filepos328697"></a>

<p class="calibre11"><span class="calibre5"><span class="bold">24</span></span></p>
I see nothing unusual about the code , except that it seems mostly redundant- any ideas on why split is not working here ?

if i back up slightly - put cursor to the right of preceeding text line & split there - all is OK. but move cursor to whitespace between there3 and the next chapter number and it's broke again.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-12-2011 at 01:27 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I do what usually works i.e. place cursor where I want the split to take place & clik on the sigil symbol in menu bar.

but it creates an empty split file and leaves the entire contents still on the file that I was trying to split.

is this a program bug, or an issue with my book. ....

i try a different book & split works as it should - very strange

seems to only happen in this one book & when I split in apparent white space , at left hand margin, before a chapter number

e.g.

end of chapter 23 text
[whitespace]
[more whtespace]

the bug is when I try to split anywhere in that "whitespace" above the line that says 24 in this code
Code:
<p class="calibre12"></p><br class="calibre1" />
    <br class="calibre1" />

<p class="calibre11"><span class="calibre5"><span class="bold">24</span></span></p>
I see nothing unusual about the code , except that it seems mostly redundant- any ideas on why split is not working here ?

if i back up slightly - put cursor to the right of preceeding text line & split there - all is OK. but move cursor to whitespace between there3 and the next chapter number and it's broke again.
I have found that you must split on a blank line OR at the end of a paragraph.
Trying to split at the beginning or mid-point in a line, or after an image, results in a blank (Just the boilerplate in CV).
I just insert a "return", the do the split at the 'new' end of the line (or blank line after an image).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is strange. I usually split at the beginning of a line, starting with a new header. So far it always goes well.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is strange. I usually split at the beginning of a line, starting with a new header. So far it always goes well.
so do I - it's just an issue with the specific code in that book I think

maybe to do with this redundant? line

i do not understand the filepos bit but deleting it seems OK !
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so do I - it's just an issue with the specific code in that book I think

maybe to do with this redundant? line

i do not understand the filepos bit but deleting it seems OK !
It's a marker which was presumably used for the online TOC, if the epub has it at least ... maybe now your epub is correctly split, but the online TOC is not working anymore?
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
It's a marker which was presumably used for the online TOC, if the epub has it at least ... maybe now your epub is correctly split, but the online TOC is not working anymore?
That looks like a Baen java-HTML conversion artifact.
Filepos is so the java will navigate back to the EXACT line in the HTML when using a WEB browser to read the book.
IMHO Blow the entire (anchor) line away.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That looks like a Baen java-HTML conversion artifact.
Filepos is so the java will navigate back to the EXACT line in the HTML when using a WEB browser to read the book.
IMHO Blow the entire (anchor) line away.
thanks - that what did eventually
( the lazy way - just split at end of previous text line then deleted everything before the chapter numbers in book mode).

calibre still generates a good TOC so nothing lost.