Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
A simple fix

Sigil will not add a word such as Rathbone’s to the dictionary. (That's supposed to be a curved apostrophe, but this font is defective and displays it as a prime.) If the Sigil programmers would replace the curved apostrophe with a computer one, Rathbone's, before adding it to the dictionary, that would solve the problem. Once the word is added that way, the spell checker will not flag the curved one as misspelled. It would be a lot easier for a programmer to do it once, than for users having to do it over, and over, and over. I'm just sayin’.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
(That's supposed to be a curved apostrophe, but this font is defective and displays it as a prime.)
"this font" is not this font. I mean the font you see in your computer, while writing the message, is not (or very unlikely) the font I see in my computer while reading it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If the Sigil programmers ....

the flaw here is that current number of Sigil programmers = zero

but if you migrate to the calibre book editor instead , that is in active development & you can make suggestions like this, in that forum.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
"this font" is not this font. I mean the font you see in your computer, while writing the message, is not (or very unlikely) the font I see in my computer while reading it.
It is the font used by the forum software used by Mobile Read forums.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the flaw here is that current number of Sigil programmers = zero

but if you migrate to the calibre book editor instead , that is in active development & you can make suggestions like this, in that forum.
No, thanks, on Calibre. The only reason I made the post is that I submitted a bug report on Sigil, quite some time ago, and the guy told me he didn't know how to fix it, or something to that effect. I don't keep up on the vicissitudes of Sigil, I'm just trying to get this last book finished.
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't use smart quotes when editing in Sigil, because it's kinda dificult to type them but nevertheless, the emphatically non-curved dumb apostrophes would refuse to pass the spellcheck after being added to the dictionary. But only on Windoze, linux worked just fine. I have no idea why, but it does.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It is the font used by the forum software used by Mobile Read forums.
font: 13px "verdana", "geneva", "lucida", "lucida grande", "arial", "helvetica", sans-serif;

It could be any of those, or anything else if none of the named fonts is installed. In my browser I see the curved apostrope.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
(Yes--curved for me as well! I was puzzled by that until I read your explanation.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Would you recommend this to publishers, too, or only to those using Calibre as a library management tool? Hitch and others have reported instances of Calibre-generated books being rejected by the Kindle (KDP) team.

I LIKE Sigil and don't particularly like Calibre, though to be sure I've only used it occasionally.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
These suggestions are to use the calibre editor, which can be used stand alone and does not insert any extra classes the way the conversion section does.

It is still missing some items, such an html input, spell checking and clips. These are to be developed, as the developer is trying to keep up calibre itself as well as this entirely new feature.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't use smart quotes when editing in Sigil, because it's kinda dificult to type them but nevertheless, the emphatically non-curved dumb apostrophes would refuse to pass the spellcheck after being added to the dictionary. But only on Windoze, linux worked just fine. I have no idea why, but it does.
If I change the curved apostrophe to a straight one and add it to the dictionary, both curved and straight then pass spellcheck. I use Windows.

I have an AutoHotKey script running which makes it easy to enter the curly quotes, both single and double.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
If I change the curved apostrophe to a straight one and add it to the dictionary, both curved and straight then pass spellcheck. I use Windows.

I have an AutoHotKey script running which makes it easy to enter the curly quotes, both single and double.
Is this only for 0.7.4? I know I didn't get the same results on 0.7.3, but haven't tried that out on Windows for 0.7.4 yet.

If not, but good for you. I'm not particularly fussed, as I prefer linux anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Is this only for 0.7.4? I know I didn't get the same results on 0.7.3, but haven't tried that out on Windows for 0.7.4 yet.

If not, but good for you. I'm not particularly fussed, as I prefer linux anyway.
AFAIK it has been that way on 6 and 7 for windows
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote