Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
ppearce
ppearce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Transfer Kindle books from Kindle PC to Kindle 3

I have several books that I downloaded to my Kindle for PC before I got my Kindle 3 Wi-Fi.
Is there a method, other than USB, to transfer these to my Kindle?
Thanks.

Phil
ppearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Are they books bought from Amazon? Then you can just go to your Manage My Kindle page and have them pushed to your Kindle. If the books are from other sources you need to use your USB cable or e-mail them to yourself through your Amazon account.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use Sync on the Kindle

Go Home, then Menu and then Sync.

All your books will be downloaded to the Kindle.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Syncing does not download books you did not specifically request for a device, it only updates bookmarks, last pages read, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I plan on using calibre to sideload my books onto my Kindle when it arrives. I have bought a few books and have downloaded them using the Kindle for PC app. I then opened up calibre and added the books (I found them in my C:\Users\Dwayne\Documents\My Kindle Content folder). calibre seems happy to import them into its own library and it allows me to change the author's name to last, first as well as amend the title to indicate series books etc.

Now all I need is my Kindle so I can load them up!
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Dwayne, that's not going to work for Amazon books if you didn't remove the DRM. They are still locked to the Kindle for PC app. You will need to redownload them for your device. You can either do it through the amazon.com/myk page to your computer or wirelessly (select the Kindle device from the dropdown) or directly from the Kindle itself.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Seems kind of round about. If I buy the ebook, who cares what I read it on? I guess I'll have to wait till I get the Kindle and see what happens, but I did read people loading up books using calibre, perhaps they didn't mention removing the DRM because of the threat of wrongdoing.

I want to be able to sort my books by author the way I want to (last, first), if that means stripping the DRM, then so be it. It's not like I am going to share the book, sell it or give it away, I just want to use it my way.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I want to be able to sort my books by author the way I want to (last, first), if that means stripping the DRM, then so be it. It's not like I am going to share the book, sell it or give it away, I just want to use it my way.
You can still do all that with Calibre without removing the drm, you just have to do it with the file that was sent to your Kindle (or downloaded from the "manage your account" page), not the file that was downloaded via K4PC.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Syncing does get the books

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Syncing does not download books you did not specifically request for a device, it only updates bookmarks, last pages read, etc.
Syncing does get every ebook one has purchased on Amazon at least for me. One must then place them in one's collections on the Kindle 3.

However, if one deletes the ebook on the Kindle, it will be archived and not be there. It can be downloaded again later if one sets it up that way in Amazon.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
What if your Kindle refuses to connect through Wifi? It just seems strange that you can't side-load to the Kindle from the Kindle for PC app.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

No WiFi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
What if your Kindle refuses to connect through Wifi? It just seems strange that you can't side-load to the Kindle from the Kindle for PC app.
If you have no access to WiFi, buy the 3G Kindle 3.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Then you can use the "Transfer via Computer" link on your Manage My Kindle page from Amazon.

By downloading them to your computer via this method the book will be correctly encoded with the Kindle's DRM and then you can transfer with your USB cable.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne_Matheson View Post
I did read people loading up books using calibre, perhaps they didn't mention removing the DRM because of the threat of wrongdoing.
They could also have been talking about books they bought or downloaded from sites other than Amazon, which do not have DRM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Syncing does get every ebook one has purchased on Amazon at least for me. One must then place them in one's collections on the Kindle 3.
If that were true, there would not be so many people complaining that it is hard to download all their books again manually, book by book, to their new Kindles.

Your Archives list, certainly should be the same between all devices, but I've never heard of the whole collection of books themselves automatically downloading to a new device. I wouldn't even want that to happen on a new device, since I only want books I'm going to read in the near future.

Not to mention that if they downloaded via 3G, the bill for Amazon would be enormous!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
You can't sideload from the Kindle for PC app to a Kindle because books in the Kindle for PC App are DRM'd for that particular computer.

To be honest when people talk about moving books from Calibre to a Kindle they most likely are DRM free eBooks. They either came that way thru purchase or were liberated before being loaded into Calibre.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to go put a new drm'd copy of my eBook into Calibre everytime I switch devices or buy a new model eReader. I have about 1200 eBooks that have been purchased for 3 different kindles, 2 iPads, or a Sony Pocket from numerous different stores. It would be a nightmare to be constantly updating those Calibre files for my current device of choice.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle for pc, transfer, wi-fi