Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
A Gritty Literary Thriller Now Only $1.49

Loisaida -- a New York Story is always a bargain at at $2.99 at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/19153. I just gave away almost 200 downloads as a promotion. And I've still got promo fever. I'm continuing to offer the novel at half price, just $1.49 at Smashwords in all formats. Use coupon LU52V.
Of course you could sample it first, and pay me the big $2.99 if you think it's worth it! If you like it a comment to that effect on Amazon and/or elsewhere will be greatly appreciated, as would a thread bump or visit to my website.

Here's a description:

One sweltering night, in a neighborhood on the cusp of change, boy meets girl. If they’d only gone home together, they might still be alive.

The core of this gritty, only in New York-story was inspired by real events – a beautiful, aspiring dancer slain, her corpse dismembered, possibly fed to the homeless in Tompkins Square Park. The psychotic roommate has confessed, but a dilettante actor turned journalist thinks there’s more to it and investigates. Soon one of his sources mentions he might have better luck gaining trust if he’d shoot dope.

Welcome to New York’s East Village, aka Loisaida, circa 1988. Meet your neighbors — artists, dreamers, hustlers, devil worshipers, anarchists, junkies and yuppies — all competing for breathing space in a city without air. It’s the era of greed, when the poor are objects of scorn not sympathy, and the gentrifiers view themselves as urban pioneers. This is a story about sex and drugs and real estate. This is a story about a murder…

This is a great novel if you like literary fiction that's gritty and tough. If you view reading as travel, this book will take you to a dark and dangerous place.

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-20-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Update change in price.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Hi... welcome to MR..

I read some of the preview, and it sounds really good, so I took advantage of your coupon and downloaded your book... thank you!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know. Lene -- are you Danish? The only other Lene I know is my Danish sister in law.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know. Lene -- are you Danish? The only other Lene I know is my Danish sister in law.
Yes, I'm Danish... Lived my first 30 something years there...

I have a large TBR list, but I'll start yours, when I finished the one I've only just begun, and that's a L O N G book - Shard Mountain..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Hi! Marioninyc and welcome to MR.

Thanks for sharing your book, I will certainly give a review when I have read it.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Thanks a lot I hope to read it very soon
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Marioninyc
Marion

People are SOOO nice here!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Marioninyc
Marion

Don't know if there's a forum protocol I'm messing with by posting twice in a row, but just wanted to say the FREE coupon offer is good through today 8/8, so check out a sample today.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Marioninyc
Marion

Ok, did the word, literary, scare any of you? It's pretty accessible. Here's a tiny excerpt from somewhere after the sample:

These days she called herself Raven and her hair was black. She was sweet fifteen, but her ID said different. Five-three, ninety pounds the last time she got on a scale. Blue-lensed round wire-rimmed glasses, very sixties from a flea market, black lycra top with a feather collar from Canal Jeans, the tightest jeans she could find and boots from the seventies with big glam-rock platforms. But what she really wanted was a kick-ass pair of Doc Martens which was why she was going to the city – to shop.
Shop and cop.
There weren’t any seats on the PATH train, so she took hold of the pole, reminding her of work.
Couple of homeboys got on. Scanning the car for potential victims. She flashed a smile. They moved on. She had $300 in her boot. Pay plus tips from the club where she stripped.
She lived in Union City with an old guy in his thirties. He was cool. She didn’t have to do much to stay there and he even let her bring her friends. Still, she dreamed of living in the city, Loisaida. Sometimes she could spend a whole day and night at Tompkins Square. People talked. It was a community. Not like home. She used to be Jill and had red hair and played the cello in the high school band, but nobody liked her. The boys thought she was a brainiac and the girls were jealous, and she was daddy’s favorite which meant her mother hated her, and it was all so boring she wanted to puke just thinking about it.
She got off the train in the West Village. It was raining, so she found a cab. She thought she’d drop by Kyra’s. Maybe Kyra was holding or they could make some calls from the house.
Out on East 11th. The downstairs building door was open. A guy she knew from the park as Lobo, followed as always by his blue-eyed, shepherd-husky mix, Shaman, was coming down the stairs holding a filled up black plastic garbage bag. Which she might have thought was strange, if she’d thought about it, because he didn’t live in the building.
“Hey, how’s it going?”
“Okay.” He looked like he was about to say something else. She started up the stairs. Turned around, saw him staring.
“You got a problem?”
“You going to Lenny’s?”
“Yeah, so?”
“Nothing, man. Nothing.”
Weird. She passed the second floor, then onto the third. Somebody cooking something. Heavy smell. Some kind of meat.
There was a hole punched right through Kyra’s apartment door. Raven reached through and turned the lock not bothering to knock. The first one she saw was Lenny, joint in hand, sitting on the couch, muttering. An old hippie looking guy with a bandanna wrapped around his head was also sitting, staring off into space. She closed the door behind her and saw the others in the kitchen.
“Shit. It’s like Grand Central in here,” a light-skinned black man said. She’d seen him around. Didn’t know his name. Not much taller than she was, kind of nerdy looking, glasses, but solid, muscular, something scary about him, the way he was coming toward her.
“She’s cool, Joe,” Kyra said standing in her bedroom door. Cigarette in mouth. Looking like she’d been through some kind of scene.
Raven checked out the blonde at the kitchen table. For a moment, she thought it was Ingrid who’d been living there the past few weeks, but then realized this woman was even prettier, softer looking. The guy sitting next to the woman, she’d noticed before. He lived in the building. Thin like from AIDS. Dressed all in black, except sometimes when he’d wear a theatrical red cape. Called himself the Magus and looked like the decrepit older brother of the image from the Ryder deck.
“What are you cooking?”
“Soup for the people in the park,” the blonde said.
“Cool.” Everyone felt solidarity with the homeless. The pigs trying to throw them out of Tompkins Square, especially since the riots.
Lenny said, “I fuckin killed her, little girl. I fuckin killed her and chopped her up.”
She looked at Kyra, the way she sometimes did for a translation of Lenny talk.
Kyra let out a deep drag. “Ingrid’s dead.”
“I got her body in the bathtub. Some of it. Wanna see?”
“Yeah, okay.”
She could feel the others watching as she followed him to the bathroom.
What was left in the tub was hardly identifiable as human. The head was in a bucket. Lenny lifted it out by the hair so she could get a good look.
“I strangulated her. Joe says we gotta clean it up. Wanna help?”
“No.”
Joe came up behind her. “You know you say anything to anybody you dead.”
“Yeah,” she said. Maybe the first time in years she answered somebody in authority without mouthing off.
Kyra said, “Let’s get the fuck outa here.”
“Minute.” Raven headed toward Ingrid’s room. “I wanna check out her shoes. It’s not like she’ll miss them, right?”
Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Marioninyc
Marion

deleted

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-17-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I definitely enjoyed this author's book "Death Trip," so I'm checking this out as well. Looks good!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Marioninyc
Marion

Thank you Ms Krispy. I hope you enjoy this one.
Less than an hour and a half to get your free Smashwords download at the coupon referenced in the opening post. Enjoy!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Okay, you convinced me to register for a Smashwords account, and I snagged the book in time. The 'literary' part didn't scare me off; it's what attracted me, in fact. Hopefully I'll get around to reading it soon.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
Marioninyc
Marion

Glad you made it, Slow Rain. Hope you enjoy the read. I wish Amazon offered coupons. Once word got out on this and the kindle boards, a lot of people jumped on it. I hope some of them come back to plug!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Marioninyc
Marion

deleted

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-17-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Tags
gritty and dark, literary fiction, new york city