Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
joubert
joubert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
[Old Thread] epub -> mobi conversion; blank page after image

Hi,

I'm creating a comic in epub format. Each page is defined in a separate XHTML file that refers to the graphic for that page using markup like so:

<body>
<svg width="100%" version="1.1" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 449 649" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image width="449" height="649" xlink:href="../Images/0000000001_5fed8544-62e6-11df-9d38-080027ee35a0.jpg"></image>
</svg>
</body>

The resulting epub displays beautifully on iPad, nook, Adobe Digital Editions, the Calibre Viewer, etc.

However, when I convert it to .mobi and view on my Kindle (v2), there is now a blank page after each full-page graphic.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of these blank pages?

Joubert

Last edited by Manichean; 03-07-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added old thread warning
joubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
create your comic in cbz format and convert that to mobi
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
joubert

Hi Kovid,

Thanks for the response. I did a little experimentation. When I have a single XHTML file (instead of one for each page) which contains all the <svg> tags, then there are no blank pages between images when I view on my Kindle. Do you think the blank page issue is as a result of how ebook-convert converts the epub file to mobi, or do you think it is a Kindle bug?

Joubert
Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

separate html files imply a page break between their contents. A MOBI file with a page break after an image, especiallya large one, often display a blank page. Like I said start with cbz.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
joubert

Is there a way to override that during conversion? I.e. in epub, separate XHTML files do not imply page breaks (testing on iPad, nook, Adobe Digital Editions, Calibre Viewer yields continuous viewing).

Last edited by joubert; 05-21-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: corrected spelling of "Calibre"
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, I'm afraid not. The only reason it looks continous in epub viewers is because the svg element forces the image to take up the full space and there is no text on the page. MOBI has no support for svg, so calibre has to convert the svg into a normal image.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
joubert

OK, thanks. It is a pity I can't go from epub -> cbz -> mobi
Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Why don't you go

cbz-> epub
-> mobi
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
joubert

Because I've already generated the 100 page graphic novel in EPUB and it looks great on iPad and nook :-)
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I know this is an old thread but I have a similar issue with an ebook I'm converting. The book has a half title page with a title page following it. Both are full-screen images. Either one of these will display fine by themselves with no blank page afterward. However, when I put them both in the ebook, one following the other, there is a blank page between them. Most of my conversions have a full-screen image as the title page and when I'm only working with one image, everything is fine. I only run into this when I have back-to-back images. They are in separate html files.

This isn't a comic and there are only the two images so no sort of cbz conversion would help me.

Same issue? Any ideas?

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Please don't reactivate older threads. Calibre has a fast release cycle, there's a new version out about every week, so information gets outdated fast.

Also, needs more info: What format are you converting from and to? How are you embedding the images?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blank page, epub, image, mobi, svg