Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
gpw11
gpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch losing page

So, I recently synced my Kobo Touch to the internet after a few months of not doing so and my firmware updated to 2.3.1. Great. Except that it seems that every time I return to the home screen and reopen a book, it opens to a few pages before where it actually should. Not a huge problem, but pretty annoying.

I've looked in the forums and noticed that this issue is mentioned but I can't seem to find any mention of a solution or workaround. Is there any at this point or are we holding out for a further firmware update?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gpw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw11 View Post
So, I recently synced my Kobo Touch to the internet after a few months of not doing so and my firmware updated to 2.3.1. Great. Except that it seems that every time I return to the home screen and reopen a book, it opens to a few pages before where it actually should. Not a huge problem, but pretty annoying.

I've looked in the forums and noticed that this issue is mentioned but I can't seem to find any mention of a solution or workaround. Is there any at this point or are we holding out for a further firmware update?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is a popular problem. It appears to be linked to adjusting the margins using the devices adjustment sliders.

If there is no margin selected (slider all the way to the left) the correct page is jumped to. Otherwise, the delta to the correct page will be dependent on the margin size.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
gpw11
gpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
And that totally fixed it, thanks! I have no idea how I missed that.
gpw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
I'm glad to have discovered the solution here to this significant annoyance. It seems to me that testing of firmware releases is surprisingly superficial.

They sell it as a device that doesn't "lock you in" to their ecosystem, so why would they not test sideloaded epubs?
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Thanks for letting us know the temporary fix to do that. Hopefully Kobo will fix it next release as having no margins at all makes the text a bit too close to the screen edges to my taste, but for now, that will do.

This bug was making me crazy. It should be stickied for now, it looks like a lot of people have this issue since the last release (makes me wonder - how can't they not catch things like this before release?)
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
Thanks for letting us know the temporary fix to do that. Hopefully Kobo will fix it next release as having no margins at all makes the text a bit too close to the screen edges to my taste, but for now, that will do.

This bug was making me crazy. It should be stickied for now, it looks like a lot of people have this issue since the last release (makes me wonder - how can't they not catch things like this before release?)
Yep, I agree the solution to this bug needs to be kept visible.

I've also started a thread on it here:

Fix: Books not keeping correct page

Please do acknowledge the person who identified the 'fix', davidfor, by giving him some Karma.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

Please do acknowledge the person who identified the 'fix', davidfor, by giving him some Karma.
Done

And thanks to you for the other thread, didn't see that one even though that was a just a few down below.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote