Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
thekidintheclock
thekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo
kobo epub fixer (for font size problems)

hi, everybody. i'm not a kobo owner yet - but i've been following the news from canada and reading all the reactions.

here's a (windows) tool for fixing epub files up for the kobo - many at once. make sure you run this on copies of your ebooks - it overwrites each file with the fixed up epub.
KoboBulkFixer.zip

and here's the fixer for os x.
KoboBulkFixer.dmg

questions, queries, qatastrophes? just say something below.

Last edited by thekidintheclock; 06-18-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: addin the osx one
thekidintheclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Hey -- I haven't tried it yet but very nice, thanks!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Awesome!!! The simple delete procedure is easy enough but surely it's better to just edit it, and this is such a handy tool! Thanks.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
thekidintheclock
thekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipse

good to hear from you two. let me know if the fixed books really look okay on the kobo. i'm also thinking of making it scan a directory and you can just check off the books you want fixed. i'm sure some of you have hundreds of dubious books.

also, if someone can send me a problematic book, maybe i can figure out a way to just size up all the fonts - so that you don't lose big titles and subtitles and such.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
ttluisa
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidintheclock View Post
good to hear from you two. let me know if the fixed books really look okay on the kobo. i'm also thinking of making it scan a directory and you can just check off the books you want fixed. i'm sure some of you have hundreds of dubious books.

also, if someone can send me a problematic book, maybe i can figure out a way to just size up all the fonts - so that you don't lose big titles and subtitles and such.
most of the book on smashwords has that problem. You can go to smashwords.com and download a free book and check it out.
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Deleting the CSS is going to make the ePub a mess. I suggest taking out the option to delete the CSS. You WANT/NEED the CSS or you will lose most if not all of the formatting and have a lousy reading experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Great Idea, I think the version your thinking about with the Directory search would be great. However, I'm thinking with enough playing around someone is bound to find the real issue behind the font-size problem. Maybe I'll take some time tonight to create a small ePUB file then find a possible solution.

Some ePubs work and other don't so something in the structure has to be different.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
thekidintheclock

okay - just added the directory search thing. see the first post for a picture and the link.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
ttluisa
Enthusiast

I LOVE THE BULK FIXER!! It's even better than the first version.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you remove the option to delete (screw up the ePub big time) the CSS?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Deleting the CSS is going to make the ePub a mess. I suggest taking out the option to delete the CSS. You WANT/NEED the CSS or you will lose most if not all of the formatting and have a lousy reading experience.
I think you have way more experience with this than I do, but my experience so far doesn't support this. In every case where I've gone in and carefully edited the stylesheet, the ePub still looked nasty, so I've gone back and nuked the stylesheet and then it's been okay.

And the reading experience anyhow is often less than perfect. I've got one pdf book, for example, that just comes out unreadable no matter what after conversion and fiddling around.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidintheclock View Post
hi, everybody. i'm not a kobo owner yet - but i've been following the news from canada and reading all the reactions.
However well intentioned you may be, thekidintheclock, am I the only one here that finds it disturbing someone is offering code to "fix" something the "thekidintheclock" programmer cannot test?

Are you aware that the 100 "free" ebooks on the Kobo aren't stored there as discrete ePubs at all?

Deleting the stylesheet in an ePub destroys the ePub -- let's not beat around the bush! You end up with one long text file. That is no longer an "e-book", it's an "e-text".

Those of us who have actually purchased a Kobo, let's all have a little patience and thoroughly enjoy reading the material at hand that works while the "men and women behind the curtain" go about fixing this flaw.

I fear that home brew solutions made in the heat of the moment ultimately make things worse for the end user, not better.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 05-11-2010 at 08:10 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Deleting the stylesheet in an ePub destroys the ePub -- let's not beat around the bush! You end up with one long text file. That is no longer an "e-book", it's an "e-text".
I think you are been a bit sensationalist there; all that dropping the Stylesheet does is to remove the overrides to standard formats, and of course any custom formating classes that have been added.

All other aspects of the eBook stay as they are.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've just done some playing around with my epub files and I can confirm that you don't need to delete the style sheet to get your ePUBs working. It is probably the fastest solution but here are my findings.

The problem lies when you have a font-size style applied to a <P> tag. If you take the font-size off the <P> tag and put it on a <SPAN> that lies within the <P> tags in the html it will work. This is not something that you can just press a couple buttons and be done, but I believe this means that you can truly FIX your ePUBs to have them display 100% on your KOBO.

I don't know if Calibre has an option to use <SPAN> instead of <P> but maybe there is something that can be done similar to that.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I personally wouldn't nuke the CSS, depending on how the book was made you'll lose things like italics, bolding, indents, etc. but to each their own. Plenty of folks are happy reading a plain text file with pretty much all formatting missing and depending on how the ePub was made you may or may not lose everything.

Kudos to thekidintheclock for trying to help folks out.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-11-2010 at 09:55 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote