Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Problems with Large amounts of different format books

Hi All,

I am having a proble with importinbg large amounts of books into my reader - my totoal library is just under 10 GB all books - lots of books are probably duplicates in different formats - but overall I wanted to use Calibre to identify which I wanted to keep out of the formats - hope this is clear.

I tried to import the books into the library using the Add multiple books assume every book is a differnt one but get the following error message

WIndows Vista tells me that Calibre no longer responding... - I wait for Vista to catch up

The I get the following error message (see attached word document)

Please advise - I just want somewhere to peruse my library of books

TetraKM
Attached Files
File Type: doc Calibre - Error.doc (77.0 KB, 318 views)
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd suggest importing the books in smaller batches.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
One thing I have found with calibre (unless this has been changed/fixed) is that if you import an ebook into it, and you already have the ebook in another format it will add the ebook as a new book to clibre rather than just add the format to the existing book.

Not sure if adding as a format is 100% possible due to the meta data not being readable from some file types.

So, I think you will have to find out some other way to identify duplicates.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
TetraKM
Connoisseur

I would agree and started the process by using Easy Duplicate Finder - a free peice of software - which scans folder and gives you the option to rename them or move them to another folder hich I did (backups - just incase I deleted the wrong file )

I now have all my books in folder abc, def,etc. - you get the idea.

Sadly I assumed that I would be able to import the folder group at a time which Calibre doesn't seem to be able to do (like media Monkey or god forbid - windows media player). - As mentioned by Kovidgoyal above (by the way Kovid this isn't a dig I think your program is brill )

I think it means the hard road for me I just don't have them in smaller batches - I used to have them all in folder by author - but I use Vista and going up and down the folders was annoying me - so i gathered them all in to larger folder groups - and this feels much better.

Has anyone any other ideas about software that I could examine the folders from - I am even considering using the sony software - which is crap for a disabled users by the way - no keyboard control - but hey that is off topic - sorry about that.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
TetraKM
Connoisseur

By the way if anyone is interested you can find easy duplicate finder here - http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/

I like it cause its free - and I am all for that
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
Sadly I assumed that I would be able to import the folder group at a time which Calibre doesn't seem to be able to do
Sure it can. Click the little down arrow icon next to the add books icon. There are three options to bulk import ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
Has anyone any other ideas about software that I could examine the folders from - I am even considering using the sony software - which is crap for a disabled users by the way - no keyboard control - but hey that is off topic - sorry about that.

I personally like using FreeCommander to handle dealing with large amounts of files/directories. I'm not sure how well the keyboard controls are for it, as when I use it I use the mouse and a split dual-directory setup. Makes it great for consolidating the files. There is also a option to keep a view of all the directories sizes in the views. (A small folder icon with KB on it) This is great while sorting because sometimes you'll have a bunch of nested directories and forget that you have several gigs deeply inside. You can do this with Properties on a folder in Win* but I just find it very helpful to have it realtime on all the directories while I work.

It also has a bulk renamer, an MD5 hasher (which I use to send the hash of a file to VirusTotal as apposed to uploading the whole file, very handy), RAR support, FTP client, et al.

This is all on my Win boxes, not my BSD ones. And no Mac version either.

http://www.freecommander.com

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote