Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Who's your favorite author/authors?

Me, i'd have to say richard stark, joe r lansdale and lee child.

what are yours?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Smile

My favorite author is G.K. Chesterton. Terry Pratchett was wise when he said that Chesterton "in small doses taken regularly is good for the soul."
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
At the moment, after reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and After the Quake, I'm pretty big on Haruki Murakami.

Other favorites: Patrick O'Brian (the Aubrey/Maturin series: one novel in 20 volumes). George Saunders.

There are lots of authors where I love some of their books, but not others. Michael Ondaatje, for example...loved The English Patient and Anil's Ghost, but was not really affected by Divisadero or The Cat's Table.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
At the moment, after reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and After the Quake, I'm pretty big on Haruki Murakami.

Other favorites: Patrick O'Brian (the Aubrey/Maturin series: one novel in 20 volumes). George Saunders.

There are lots of authors where I love some of their books, but not others. Michael Ondaatje, for example...loved The English Patient and Anil's Ghost, but was not really affected by Divisadero or The Cat's Table.
i'm the same with dan simmons.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
My favorite author is G.K. Chesterton. Terry Pratchett was wise when he said that Chesterton "in small doses taken regularly is good for the soul."
i will check Chesterton out... any titles you'd recommend?
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
most of my favorite authors would be totally unfamiliar to most, the most famous one being HP Lovecraft.

Lovecraft
BV Larson
David Dalglish
Tim Curran
Brent Weeks
Larry Correia
Christopher Kellen
Jonathan Green

they're mainly fantasy/sci-fi/horror authors.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mary Robinette Kowal
Kij Johnson
Theodora Goss
Kelly Link
Aimee Bender
Jeffrey Ford
Paul Tremblay
Peter S. Beagle

to name a few...
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
James Lee Burke, Conan Doyle, Pratchett ... oh, this is ridiculous, I'd run out of ink......

Or die of old(er) age ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
Me, i'd have to say richard stark, joe r lansdale and lee child.

what are yours?
You missed Robert B Parker! I will definitely go along with Lee Child and Richard Stark - don't know Joe R Lansdale so am going to have to do some investigating.

Have you tried the Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series by Robert Crais? Worth a look if not.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You missed Robert B Parker! I will definitely go along with Lee Child and Richard Stark - don't know Joe R Lansdale so am going to have to do some investigating.

Have you tried the Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series by Robert Crais? Worth a look if not.
I definitely will, thanks. Try Rumble Tumble or Savage Season by Lansdale, it's got some rough language but the story flies by.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
James Lee Burke, Conan Doyle, Pratchett ... oh, this is ridiculous, I'd run out of ink......

Or die of old(er) age ....
yeah i agree with you about burke, too bad he killed off Streak...
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
I definitely will, thanks. Try Rumble Tumble or Savage Season by Lansdale, it's got some rough language but the story flies by.
Thanks for the heads up. Having read a couple of excerpts they look right up my street, so I'm ordering the first Hap & Leonard right now.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I guess I would choose, Tolkien, Clarke, Herbert, Asimov, King and Murakami.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett and Neal Stephenson are definitely at the top for me.

I also have a special place for Alexandre Dumas since he is single-handedly responsible for my love of reading with the 3 musketeers series. They were the first books I ever read, and I was only 5-6 years old. (I probably didn't understand more than half of what I read back then, being so young, but those were still the coolest stories ever for me that made me want to read more and more.)

Edit: Forgot to add H. P. Lovecraft, silly me.

Last edited by ekster; 02-15-2012 at 09:00 AM.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Nocas75
Nocas75 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Classics:
Joseph Conrad
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Arthur Conan Doyle
Edgar Alan Poe
Jules Verne
George Orwell