Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Books You Couldn't Get Through

Post them here! Usually I finish every book I start, but sometimes it's so bad I can't do it. Only three come to mind:

'Chasers' by Lorenzo Carcaterra... worst dialogue ever. nothing but sports analogies

'Token of Remorse' by Michael Stone... one of the main characters is Frank Dazzler(enough said)

'The Two Towers' by JRR Tolkien... I know, I know... a mortal sin. But keeping track of the similar names drove me so nuts I couldn't concentrate on the story.

any others I should avoid?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
"Moby Dick" - attempted twice. Someday I will finish it.

"Atlas Shrugged" - zero likable characters and nothing interesting happened in the first twenty or thirty percent that I read.

"Don Quixote" - it was interesting for awhile, but at a certain point the language became too dense and I had no idea what was going on.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
"Faith" by John Love - Many positive reviews, but I thought it really needed a good editor. Quit at about the 50% mark.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
ULYSSES by James Joyce.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
ULYSSES by James Joyce.
Oh... "Literature"

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole
"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace

Tried. Failed.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh i forgot... 'catcher in the rye' by JD Salinger

teenage angst is the worst.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny - poorly written, tedious, and confusing. If I'd read it in the 60's in a drug-induced haze, no doubt I would have found it incredibly entertaining.

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin - far too pedantic.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - annoying writing style combined with an absurd plot made this completely unreadable for me.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My second reading of Lord of Light made it one of my favorites but I'll throw Deus Irae into the ring, by Zelazny & PK Dick. With that pair, how could it miss? I'm not sure if I saw the last pages both times I attempted it.

Ulysses? Ugh, agreed.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
War and Peace I am ashamed to admit. Tried reading it on a train trip even.

More recently Water for Elephants which seemed to push t many emotional buttons so I have put it aside for a bit.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Despite numerous attempts I could never get more than a third or so the way through Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontẽ. Upon strong reccomendations from a friend I also attempted the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake, starting with the first novel Titus Groan. She and I are still friends, but I (groan ) have ever since discounted her book recommendations. A couple of hundred pages of the depressing and simultaneously dense and incomprehensible Titus Groan was quite enough for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm afraid that I have tried many times to read Jane Austen and never get more than about 30 pages into any of her books without throwing them aside with an exasperated cry of "Is anything ever going to happen in this damn book!".
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
..."A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole...
I thought that one was hilarious, but I "read" it as an audiobook.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
"Don Quixote" - it was interesting for awhile, but at a certain point the language became too dense and I had no idea what was going on.
I skimmed the last half of it, so technically I did finish it, but it was not my thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I thought that one was hilarious, but I "read" it as an audiobook.
I didn't get far reading, I'm hoping the free audiobook I picked up will be less irritating.

Crime and Punishment defeated me, life is too short.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Don Quixote for me, too. I barely even got started. I just couldn't find anything to get hold of, so to speak. I do intend to try again one day.

Many years ago, when I was a poor student, I used to buy cheap out-of-copyright classics from discount bookstores, and I used to buy them by weight, essentially, to make sure my money stretched as far as possible. I distinctly remember turning down the slender pamphlet that was Heart of Darkness. I read War and Peace - excellent value - The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Three Musketeers, etc, and I think Don Quixote is the only one I still own.

They're all free ebooks nowadays. You kids don't know you're born.

Dune Messiah I have tried a couple of times, and failed to get anywhere with. I loved Dune, but this just seems to overcomplicate it.

I also failed The Two Towers at my first attempt, but managed it second time round. (I still think Fellowship is the best of the three.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Don Quixote for me, too. I barely even got started. I just couldn't find anything to get hold of, so to speak. I do intend to try again one day.

Many years ago, when I was a poor student, I used to buy cheap out-of-copyright classics from discount bookstores, and I used to buy them by weight, essentially, to make sure my money stretched as far as possible. I distinctly remember turning down the slender pamphlet that was Heart of Darkness. I read War and Peace - excellent value - The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Three Musketeers, etc, and I think Don Quixote is the only one I still own.

They're all free ebooks nowadays. You kids don't know you're born.

Dune Messiah I have tried a couple of times, and failed to get anywhere with. I loved Dune, but this just seems to overcomplicate it.

I also failed The Two Towers at my first attempt, but managed it second time round. (I still think Fellowship is the best of the three.)
i liked the hobbitt and fellowship well enough but i really bogged down in the two towers.