Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Help with the "Dresden Files"

I'm currently reading the "Dresden Files" books. I'm very much enjoying them, but there's one thing I'm curious about. There are frequent references to Harry Dresden's coat being a "duster". What is a "duster"? It's not a word I'm familiar with (in the context of coats, anyway!).

I'd appreciate any enlightenment on the matter .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duster_(clothing)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
There, fixed the dead link.
(And it is a loose-fitting long coat).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha! Those long coats they wear in cowboy films! Thank you .
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes - it was meant to be worn on horse back - has a slit back so that the back panels could follow and protect the legs. In American culture, it has continued to be associated with modern incarnations of "the lone gunslinger" - on motorcycle or on foot.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A duster is a light, loose-fitting long coat.

The original dusters were full-length, light-colored canvas or linen coats worn by horsemen to protect their clothing from trail dust. These dusters were typically slit up the back to hip level for ease of wear on horseback and were the recommended "uniform" for Texas Rangers. Dusters intended for riding may have features such as a buttonable rear slit and leg straps to hold the flaps in place. For better protection against rain, dusters were made from oilcloth and later from waxed cotton.

At the turn of the twentieth century, both men and women wore dusters to protect their clothes when riding in open motorcars on the dirt roads of the day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool cover art by christian mcgrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm currently reading the "Dresden Files" books. I'm very much enjoying them, but there's one thing I'm curious about. There are frequent references to Harry Dresden's coat being a "duster". What is a "duster"? It's not a word I'm familiar with (in the context of coats, anyway!).

I'd appreciate any enlightenment on the matter .

Last edited by alansplace; 09-01-2011 at 11:14 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Shock horror.....

[QUOTE=HarryT.......... What is a "duster"? It's not a word I'm familiar with (in the context of coats, anyway!).
I'd appreciate any enlightenment on the matter .[/QUOTE]

Harry, there's a vast gap in your entertainment upbringing !

Clint "The Man with No Name" hardly took his off - and Lee Van Cleef slept in his many a time ................

Personally, I think it's just 'cos they're always......dusty.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Duster + Cowboy hat = Sexy!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I just finished the first omnibus (1-6) myself. Definitely an enjoyable read that I could help but gobble up quickly.

Probably not much of a surprise, but I also watched the few episodes they made of the TV show adaption over the weekend, and it was quite disappointing. They completely sucked the humour and fun out of it :-(
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I just finished the first omnibus (1-6) myself. Definitely an enjoyable read that I could help but gobble up quickly.

Probably not much of a surprise, but I also watched the few episodes they made of the TV show adaption over the weekend, and it was quite disappointing. They completely sucked the humour and fun out of it :-(
i really don't agree and neither does jim butcher, who actually appeared in an episode as a morgue attendant and supported the series during the filming. of course, one difference between your experience and mine is that i saw the entire tv series before i began reading the novels and since then i've read all 13 of them + side jobs + some other dresden short stories that have appeared elsewhere. i'm grateful for the tv series for introducing me to the books and i watch it over again from time to time.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-23-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling, yetch!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Harry, there's a vast gap in your entertainment upbringing !

Clint "The Man with No Name" hardly took his off - and Lee Van Cleef slept in his many a time ................

Personally, I think it's just 'cos they're always......dusty.
Yes, thanks, I know what they are, now. I just didn't know that that's what they were called .
Old 08-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I really enjoyed this series and really don't like to wait for the next book. You can also read his Codex Alera series. It reads totally different, but I found it also to be good reading.

The duster is quite an important asset of his character in my opinion, so I understand that you asked the question.

Always good to have more Dresden fans.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
My perceptions are coloured by having seen the TV series before reading the books, so my mental pictures of the characters are of the actors. Enjoyed both, does anyone know if there will be a second TV series?
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm deliberately avoiding the TV series until after I've read the books.