Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Cannot connect to wi-fi or 3G

I just purchased a Kindle 3G. Do I need to register my Kindle 3G in order to connect to wi-fi or 3G? I'm thinking it's supposed to connect right out of the box, according to the Kindle Quick Start Guide.

The problem is that it won't connect to wi-fi or 3G. It attempts to with "EDGE" showing up in the top part of the display but it always fails with the message, "A Wi-Fi connection is required to complete this task. Connect to a Wi-Fi network or try again later." Rescanning the network repeaets the same error. None of the bars are solid in the Whipsernet status indicator.

I have no connection problems with my cell phone (an LG TracFone). All the connection bars show up full on it.

I live in area code 04736. According to the link on Amazon for 3G coverage I live in a 3G network area.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

Any clues?
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What network is your cell phone on? Kindle is on AT&T. Does the EDGE connection give you more than one bar? Maybe it isn't getting a strong enough signal. There are always dead spots in cell coverage, even if the map thinks you have coverage.

The Kindle connects in order to register (if it isn't registered already).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have the Kindle 3G+wifi. When I first received my Kindle in early December, 3G reception was very poor, despite being in a good coverage area according to the maps. I was extremely disappointed, since I don't have wifi at home.

I called Amazon's Customer Service and talked to them about the problem. The CS agent had me retrieve some information from my Kindle, which he then relayed to one of their technicians. Several days later, all was well and I've had great 3G reception ever since!

I'm not sure what they tweaked, but sometimes they can do magic from their end. It may be worth a call. The Kindle Customer Support numbers I have are:

U.S. customers (toll free): 1-866-321-8851
Outside the U.S. (charges will apply): 1-206-266-0927
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
What network is your cell phone on? Kindle is on AT&T. Does the EDGE connection give you more than one bar? Maybe it isn't getting a strong enough signal. There are always dead spots in cell coverage, even if the map thinks you have coverage.

The Kindle connects in order to register (if it isn't registered already).
The EDGE connection shows no full bars either. I'm not sure what network my TracFone uses. It was issued to me by SafeLink Wireless. From what I understand they use several different carriers. I *think* they use Verizon, US Cellular or perhaps Alltel, but I'm not exactly sure.

As an experiment I drove around town to several locations, parking at each one then rescanning for networks on the Kindle. Only once did a network show up, called "DQ2QD," and it prompted me for a password (I suppose it was some private network).

So I'm not sure whether to keep the Kindle or just return it. I'm leaning more towards the latter.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
NLight95
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I have the Kindle 3G+wifi. When I first received my Kindle in early December, 3G reception was very poor, despite being in a good coverage area according to the maps. I was extremely disappointed, since I don't have wifi at home.

I called Amazon's Customer Service and talked to them about the problem. The CS agent had me retrieve some information from my Kindle, which he then relayed to one of their technicians. Several days later, all was well and I've had great 3G reception ever since!

I'm not sure what they tweaked, but sometimes they can do magic from their end. It may be worth a call. The Kindle Customer Support numbers I have are:

U.S. customers (toll free): 1-866-321-8851
Outside the U.S. (charges will apply): 1-206-266-0927
My problem is that there's no reception at all. Not once did the Whispernet status indicator go above "zero."

I would like this problem fixed *before* I register the device. So I'm hesitant to contact CS. I'd like to try the Kindle out before I decide to keep it (if I do keep it).
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
sababili
sababili began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Connection problems with Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
I just purchased a Kindle 3G. Do I need to register my Kindle 3G in order to connect to wi-fi or 3G? I'm thinking it's supposed to connect right out of the box, according to the Kindle Quick Start Guide.

The problem is that it won't connect to wi-fi or 3G. It attempts to with "EDGE" showing up in the top part of the display but it always fails with the message, "A Wi-Fi connection is required to complete this task. Connect to a Wi-Fi network or try again later." Rescanning the network repeaets the same error. None of the bars are solid in the Whipsernet status indicator.

I have no connection problems with my cell phone (an LG TracFone). All the connection bars show up full on it.

I live in area code 04736. According to the link on Amazon for 3G coverage I live in a 3G network area.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

Any clues?
I had a good experience with customer service at 1-866-321-8851 (toll free). jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjj
sababili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
The EDGE connection shows no full bars either. I'm not sure what network my TracFone uses. It was issued to me by SafeLink Wireless. From what I understand they use several different carriers. I *think* they use Verizon, US Cellular or perhaps Alltel, but I'm not exactly sure.

As an experiment I drove around town to several locations, parking at each one then rescanning for networks on the Kindle. Only once did a network show up, called "DQ2QD," and it prompted me for a password (I suppose it was some private network).
It sounds like your cell phone is not using the same cell phone network as the Kindle.

The networks you are seeing are wi-fi, not 3G. If wi-fi is not available, and 3G is, it should connect via 3G, assuming that your 3G modem is working.

EDGE is the slower version of 3G. If you have no bars, either you have no signal, or your 3G modem is not working. It can't hurt to call Kindle Support, and see if they can help. It is not unheard of for the modem to not work.

Put a free book from mobileread or Smashwords or something on the Kindle, and see how you like reading on it, if you aren't sure you are going to keep it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
NLight95
Connoisseur

I called Amazon's CS and the rep (Christine V) said there is very week or no signal strength in my area for 3G access. She mentioned that I could use wireless but then I'll have to buy a router, which I may do anyway. Since there's no use in me having the Kindle 3G she emailed me a label to return it. Oh well, better luck next time.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry that it isn't working out for you.

I'm not sure where you live, but one thing you might consider is that there is free wifi access on the Kindle at AT&T wireless hotspots throughout the U.S. (at places like McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.). You could go there to download books onto the Kindle and then read them anywhere. My town's library has free wireless too. I used that until Amazon got my 3G set up properly.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
NLight95
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Sorry that it isn't working out for you.

I'm not sure where you live, but one thing you might consider is that there is free wifi access on the Kindle at AT&T wireless hotspots throughout the U.S. (at places like McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.). You could go there to download books onto the Kindle and then read them anywhere. My town's library has free wireless too. I used that until Amazon got my 3G set up properly.
I returned the Kindle 3G today (about $14 for shipping+ins+deliv conf). I'm disappointed that Amazon's 3G coverage map is very misleading--in fact, it's erroneous. The rep told me there was nothing that they could do about the coverage. The map was the reason I opted for the 3G model instead of the wi-fi unit.

Aside from my ranting , I appreciate your suggestions but I would rather download purchased books from home. I wanted the 3G for when I was not at home and wanted to access Wikipedia and the web.

So now I'm looking at some other readers but I'm keeping the wi-fi Kindle in mind because it certainly has a very attractive price. Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

I want to be able to download books to the Kindle while at home too, so I understand. I was so relieved when Amazon was able to get my 3G operating properly since I don't have wifi at home. Until that point, I was thinking that I may have to return it!

I hope that you do find an eReader that works for you. I've never used any other than the Kindle, but I love it!