Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Unicode characters OK in text but wrong in TOC

Because Sony, ADE and some others show nice question marks instead of Unicode characters, I've embedded Unicode fonts into the ePub. This works perfectly for the book itself, but the table of contents of the book itself, and the contents of the library, is still messed up (in Sony and ADE, but perfect in other readers)

I suppose that the CSS only affects the book itself but not the TOC. How can I fix this?

Thanks for any help!
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Flash LRF/RTF/TXT fonts to your Sony. There are guides in the Sony -> PRS-505 Dev Center section of these forums.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Flash LRF/RTF/TXT fonts to your Sony. There are guides in the Sony -> PRS-505 Dev Center section of these forums.
So there is no way to fix the problem in the ePub itself? I cannot beg all my customers to flash fonts to their devices ...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
So there is no way to fix the problem in the ePub itself?
Well the problem is not in the epub itself, but the Sony Reader.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Well the problem is not in the epub itself, but the Sony Reader.
Yes, I know, Valloric. I've read the Sigil FAQ ;-) But all those FAQs give the impression that you can solve the problem by embedding fonts. I found out that you can solve the problem only in the text body, but not in the TOC. And I was wondering if it's just me who can't figure out a solution, because no FAQ mentions the fact that the TOC file cannot be infuenced by a CSS.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The CSS can only affect the (X)HTML content. Metadata and other generated content (including off-line TOC, info shown in the statusbar, page numbers...) are rendered by the reader with its own fonts and settings, I don't think you can do anything to alter them, unless the reader has some specific setting for that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
I don't think there's a way to do what you want without hacking the Sony Reader and switching it's internal built-in fonts to a font that includes the characters you're trying to display. I'm almost 100% sure that you can't make the reader's software and menus use the font you embedded into the epub file.

One solution that I use (in my Japanese epubs) is to add an English transliteration of the real title to the "title" metadata. Then you'll see, for example, ??? (Rashoumon) instead of the title you're supposed to see, 羅生門 (Rashoumon). It's not the prettiest solution, but it beats a bunch of unreadable question marks.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I've read the Sigil FAQ ;-)
I'm glad someone has.

Quote:
And I was wondering if it's just me who can't figure out a solution, because no FAQ mentions the fact that the TOC file cannot be infuenced by a CSS.
It's completely up to the Reading System to choose how it's going to display the TOC. The specification doesn't specify whether or not the TOC should be displayed using the fonts in the epub file if the RS doesn't have the required glyphs. In fact, it doesn't talk about TOC fonts at all.

To tell you the truth, this may be a "bug" (well, an oversight) in the specification itself. This should probably be brought to the IDPF's attention. As it currently stands, an ebook producer cannot be sure that all Unicode code points will be displayed properly in the TOC even if he embedds the required fonts.

This is most definitely a bug.

Last edited by Valloric; 01-15-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
paulpeer
Zealot

Thanks to all for your clear answers!

Tags
ade, esperanto, sony, unicode