Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Question DR Crashs?

Hey I was reading on the Irex Forums about the DR1000 (reminds me of the Sternfannetwork with all the hate that seems to be on their from its "community") Most of the posts are before the 1.6 firmware update but people seem to be complaining a lot about the device crashing constantly and a pen bug. As some of the people on there seem to just be belligerent in their hate for the company and device I was wondering if some of the people on this forum had these same issues / were they solved with the new firmware update? I kind of trust the opinions of this forum a bit more than that one.

Cheers
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Hi, you can see here, where I have discussed this with others. However, Not all of the people think so. That is why I spend a long time in evaluating the DR. But it seems fine since firmware 1.6.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Yea fimware 1.6 seems to have gotten the major issues, there were a lot of complaints about battery life as well that are somewhat of a concern. I have an Iliad and if its battery life is similar to that then its fine for me (I live in the big city where we have electricity all the time so I'm rarely away from an outlet). I'm not entirely expecting to not have to charge the device for days, hell my Treo phone seems to need to be charged every couple hours the battery life is so bad but I still use and keep it.

Crashes while reading are a whole other issue, if the devices crashes a lot while reading I wouldn't be able to use it. I've had my Iliad freeze up on me less than 6 times and I've had it for over a year, all the posts in their forum makes me wonder if the DR is crashing more or if its more of an outlier that the device is crashing for them (Maybe they are viewing 50mb+ files and that is causing it, I don't know but all my files are relatively small so I shouldn't have that issue [the times my Iliad crashed where from large PDF files)
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Here is mainly for the DR. Hehe.......
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Things are a lot better since V1.6

I have the odd freeze and the odd flat battery but it is rare now. I haven't identified any particular method of use to get it to freeze or drain its battery though.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
aegas
aegas began at the beginning.

Device: none
I experienced a new odd behavior since 1.6 update. When I connect DR to my computer when it is sleeping (I guess this is previous zZz mode? anyway, I mean the state where I can still read displayed text), so that it wakes up by the connection, after I reply to the dialog box which says 'do you want to connect to the computer', often DR freezes. This does not always happen but happens very often so is quite reproducible.

However this isn't really big deal because now I learn to wake the DR first by touching any button and then connect to the computer.
aegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegas View Post
I experienced a new odd behavior since 1.6 update. When I connect DR to my computer when it is sleeping (I guess this is previous zZz mode? anyway, I mean the state where I can still read displayed text), so that it wakes up by the connection, after I reply to the dialog box which says 'do you want to connect to the computer', often DR freezes. This does not always happen but happens very often so is quite reproducible.

However this isn't really big deal because now I learn to wake the DR first by touching any button and then connect to the computer.
Woa.. That's why DR freezes!
Thanks for the tip!!
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My DR has never frozen so far. I'm running 1.6.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I get the occasional crash with some PDFs but they are infrequent enough not to be bothersome (especially since I learnt to leave my mobi dictionary running in the background). No sight of the pen-bug since 1.6 and the battery life is fine for me (I need to recharge every few days).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote