Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #361
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FWIW, if you want verbose feedback on the USBNetwork front, you're welcome to force-enable the 'verbose' setting in the helper: touch /mnt/us/usbnet/verbose. That'll throw a bunch of eips prints at various points of the process .
Thanks! why dont I put that on a toggle button. Verbose ON OFF

Thank you!!

EDIT:

Hmm.. I like this.. no toggle required AFAIC

Code:
#!/bin/sh
DIRECTION=DOWN
LOC=/mnt/us/usbnet

if [ ! -e $LOC/verbose ]
then
touch $LOC/verbose
fi

usleep 10000
$LOC/bin/usbnetwork 
usleep 50000

if [ -e $LOC/run/sshd.pid ]
then
DIRECTION=UP
/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop -i -- com.lab126.volumd useUsbForNetwork 1
else
/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop -i -- com.lab126.volumd useUsbForNetwork 0
fi
eips 1 38 " USBNETWORKING $DIRECTION (PROCESS COMPLETE)"
I think I will do something like that.

Last edited by twobob; 02-11-2013 at 09:47 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #362
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FWIW, if you want verbose feedback on the USBNetwork front, you're welcome to force-enable the 'verbose' setting in the helper: touch /mnt/us/usbnet/verbose. That'll throw a bunch of eips prints at various points of the process .
Ahh, thanks! I've aways been afraid in the dark. Yet another trigger file to add to my collection (BTW would be nice to have *all* your hacks trigger files documented in a list).
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hmm.. I like this.. no toggle required AFAIC ...[CODE]...
Me too.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #363
April_7th
Connoisseur
April_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Ahh, thanks! I've aways been afraid in the dark. Yet another trigger file to add to my collection (BTW would be nice to have *all* your hacks trigger files documented in a list).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205064

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205052
April_7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #364
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
It's good
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_7th View Post
They're here

Will update helper package tonight then (will look at rolling in other additional changes)

Thanks!!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #365
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Upgrade note for ssh/scp users

Transfer of the newer document (actually, any document) by scp to the documents folder **might not** trigger the firmware to re-scan the documents folder (causing what appears to be a display lock-up).

So after:
Code:
core2quad kual-v.0.3.2 $ scp KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2 kpw:/mnt/us/documents
KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2                      100%   84KB  84.0KB/s   00:00
Force a re-scan of the documents folder by:
Code:
core2quad kual-v.0.3.2 $ ssh kpw "dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1"
This problem can happen with firmware as recent as 5.3.3 (Kpw).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #366
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Transfer of the newer document (actually, any document) by scp to the documents folder **might not** trigger the firmware to re-scan the documents folder (causing what appears to be a display lock-up).

So after:
Code:
core2quad kual-v.0.3.2 $ scp KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2 kpw:/mnt/us/documents
KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2                      100%   84KB  84.0KB/s   00:00
Force a re-scan of the documents folder by:
Code:
core2quad kual-v.0.3.2 $ ssh kpw "dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1"
This problem can happen with firmware as recent as 5.3.3 (Kpw).
Good to know. Thanks for the PW update!

Im on chat for half an hour now.
Have done the USBnetworking changes to the helper.

will publish later probably

Last edited by twobob; 02-12-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #367
twobob

SYSTEM

STANDARDS...

User KNC1 Just raised a point about centralisation of resource.

He is addressing the age old problem of standardised resource locations for the extensions to reference.

This does two obvious things:
(and a crapload of other "less obvious" things that we are going to ignore)

1) Increases the intitial D/L size.
2) Decreases application bloat through re-use of shared resources.

Libs aside for just one second let's think about binaries...

BINARIES

The big OBVIOUS difference for the range of device would be the swap from 4 to 8 bit FB; Thus any applications that call upon system-supported graphics based libs would likely fail when applied to all devices.

That is "Not Okay." and until a gtk equivalent solution can be provisioned to step around these graphics limitations then it is fair to say that things like a "terminal" won't be in this list.

but other system-based utilities such as BASH - compiled to run on all KUAL supported devices could well make it into there. if anyone wants to add to this pile then using the 2007q3 CS TC is not a bad choice.

ADDING TO THE /mnt/us/extensions/system FOLDER.
in a word "DONT", I'm thinking of making it immutable or something to really really stop people doing that.

GIT

I'm going to setup a GIT repo it will eventually hold a /lib /etc and a /bin folder. and some content.

https://bitbucket.org/twobob/kual-system

If you want something included in a future release put a pull request into that.
AFTER you checked the stuff runs on all devices.

WHY?

Hey. It's not perfect. but it's a start. Personally I'm tired of my HUGE list of stuff in /mnt/us and will be glad to get some (or all) of the support stuff, and (hopefully one day) applications.... all squirrelled away under one folder extensions on all devices.

It's just simpler to maintain.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Right now. Nothing. Keep going ahead building your stuff just like you build it now. I'm noting this stuff down here as an aide mémoire and a slow hopeful wend towards some kinds of standards. The list of failed attempts to standardise development on the kindle is long and dull.

Not keen for this to go on that list.

Just be aware as a developer there may be some extra options soon

MAKE IT WORK!

And yes. You guys who build for the touch with gtk.. if you simply build two versions. one targetting the older FB versions of the graphics libs and one targetting the newer X versions this works to make an application that has a version for all devices.

I will demonstrate that principle RSN.

I'm playing with the idea of exporting these things "run-time" on a first-pass check basis.
still unsure about that. in fact the delivery details are a bit hazy all-in.

more later.

Last edited by twobob; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #368
twobob

UPDATE

Posted Update HELPER package.
  • This one has new naming for buttons.
  • Additional eink notifications for usbnetworking.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #369
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@twobob: centralization: sounds interesting. If there is a requirement for a shell, it should have something in the json like: $SHELL -e somescript.sh - and then to run it on you don't need the same shell, but one that works on your kindle. Then it could use xterm or kterm, or whichever shell works on older kindles. Doesn't have to ask for kterm specifically, but for A shell - any shell.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #370
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Personally I'm tired of my HUGE list of stuff in /mnt/us and will be glad to get some (or all) of the support stuff, and (hopefully one day) applications.... all squirrelled away under one folder extensions on all devices.

This is awesome! No, wait... YOU are awesome!
I've tried to raise awareness about standardization and the messy filesystem a while ago, but nothing came out of it... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176822
I really like the direction KUAL is heading and I hope this will allow for easier and faster development for Kindles.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #371
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post

I've tried to raise awareness about standardization and the messy filesystem a while ago, but nothing came out of it... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176822
I really like the direction KUAL is heading and I hope this will allow for easier and faster development for Kindles.
To be honest I had read that exact document when you released it.

"The Launcher could be updated and converted into an asw2 app capable of displaying icons in a grid pattern (like other mobile OSes), maintain a simple database of the current apps (no app folders to describe apps) and include the simple package manager I described before. Since this proposed Launcher will also manage the Apps, maybe it should have its name changed.
"

Kual idea mate. prescient to be mentioned in there. Lots of good points in there

No doubt that Ixtab and the other devs have read it too. So perhaps actually "Something" did come of it.

Gave it another read now. They are good points. perhaps, given time. some may be implemented.

And for the record: I am merely riding on the shoulders of giants.
Still, lovely view.

more on these things when there is something to share.

REFS:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=83
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1985217
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176822
And more...

Last edited by twobob; 02-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #372
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post

There is a significant difference. . .
You proposed that it should be done, rather than start doing it yourself to lead the way and propose that others follow you.

twobob put the horse in front of the cart by starting to do it and then explaining why others should follow.
It is something called: "Leadership by Example" in my country.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #373
twobob

NEW EXTENDEROONEE

TITLE: Set DateTime from Server

SUPPORTS:
  • DX No (since the wifi is missing)
  • K3 Yes ( All Revisions over wifi )
  • K4 Yes ( All Revisions over wifi )
  • Touch Yes ( All Revisions over wifi )
  • PW Yes ( All Revisions over wifi )
REQUIRES: Wifi connection

LINK: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205732

AUTHOR: knc1

NOTES: requires wifi

This extension will make the Time Date update upon demand.

As requested countless times in countless posts
Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #374
twobob

figlet

hehehe.

I´m so silly.

(files should be okay on a touch. haven´t tested them elsewhere just yet.)

Quote:
NAME
FIGlet - display large characters made up of ordinary screen characters

SYNOPSIS
figlet [ -cklnoprstvxDELNRSWX ] [ -d fontdirectory ]
[ -f fontfile ] [ -m layoutmode ]
[ -w outputwidth ] [ -C controlfile ]
[ -I infocode ] [ message ]

[root@kindle figlet-figlet]# eips -c; count=2; font=lean; ./bin/figlet-figlet -w 48 -d ./share -f $font "KUAL EINK FUN " | sed -e 's/ / /g'| tr ' _/' ' ()' | wh
ile read line ; do if [ $count -lt 2 ]; then eips ""; fi; eips 2 $count "$line"
; count=$((count+1)); echo $count; done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_111.png
Views:	297
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	101222   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_113.png
Views:	279
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	101229  
Attached Files
File Type: zip figlet.zip (183.1 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by twobob; 02-14-2013 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added files
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #375
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is a significant difference. . .
You proposed that it should be done, rather than start doing it yourself to lead the way and propose that others follow you.

twobob put the horse in front of the cart by starting to do it and then explaining why others should follow.
It is something called: "Leadership by Example" in my country.
I would have loved to contribute, but I don't have the necessary experience so I did the only thing I could: share my thoughts and ideas.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified