Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #1336
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Haha - urban legend, that is funny, Alan. Now I just have to forget about it, or I will be reading all you are reading.

Just finished Blood Rites and have to say: WOW. Must be true that the books get better and better throughout the series. One thing that bothers me a little is Harry. More and more is he using metaphors that he should have no idea about - like movies and tv shows and such. Sure it makes sense for us readers, but doesn't quite fit.

And then we get rewarded even by the end:
Spoiler:
MAJOR SPOILER, open at own risk
Spoiler:
Quote:
I frowned at a giant green bag and asked Thomas, "Hey. Why did you get large breed Puppy Chow?"
Wonder just how large Mouse is going to grow.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #1337
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Haha - urban legend, that is funny, Alan. Now I just have to forget about it, or I will be reading all you are reading.

Just finished Blood Rites and have to say: WOW. Must be true that the books get better and better throughout the series. One thing that bothers me a little is Harry. More and more is he using metaphors that he should have no idea about - like movies and tv shows and such. Sure it makes sense for us readers, but doesn't quite fit.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
are you sure you want to open this
Spoiler:

or what mouse really is...

tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #1338
way8lifter
Enthusiast
way8lifter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I have always felt they apply because he is in an alternate universe ..just a step or two up the line..everything is the ALMOST the same. but for the magic and deamons and vampires, well you get the picture
way8lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #1339
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpeer View Post
Spoiler:
are you sure you want to open this
Spoiler:

or what mouse really is...

Thank you. Of course I opened it. And it makes me want to open the next book right away and find out what it is. I think I will await until this afternoon though.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #1340
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'd just re-read The Hobbit and then finished up my re-read of the three James Potter books and decided to give the Derrick Storm novelette trilogy a read, but right after beginning I paused to view the two videos in my last post here. In the Redondo Beach video Jim recommends Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. Well it made me stop the Derrick Storm books and grab a copy of Fated, the first in the series. I've just started it and in the first Chapter Alex (he calls himself a mage and has a magic store in London) says:

Also on the cover there's a short blurb from Jim:

I guess I'll be reading this series next and Derrick Storm will go back on TBR for a while.

Annnd you've added to my TBR list, yet again!!!! I'm hoping to live to be 115, with my sight and faculties in tact, so that I can read at least half the books I'd like to read!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #1341
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Cold days is the best Dresden files book so far for me.

Now for the agony of having to wait for the next book.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #1342
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Cold days is the best Dresden files book so far for me.

Now for the agony of having to wait for the next book.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #1343
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kim Harrison

One of the other Urban Fantasy series I regularly read is Kim Harrison's The Hollows featuring Rachel Morgan. I thought that many of you might be interested in the below post.

Quoted from Kim Harrison's Blog

Quote:
Kim Harrison's Blog
December 6, 2012
Holidays are Hell on sale!

Click image for larger version

Name:	hahmmcoveris.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	97390

Got a dollar? Looking for a nice treat for yourself or a stocking stuffer for your electronic savvy reader? For a short time, Avon Books is having a sale, and Holidays are Hell is included! Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel revolves around Pierce and Rachel when Rachel was 18 and brought back more than she bargained for when her brother dared her. It’s a nice glimpse into Rachel’s world when she was still a little weak and struggling to fit in. Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel is also available in Into the Woods, but the reason I’m telling you is because of who I’m paired with in the original anthology. For .99 cents, you also get one of Vicki Pettersson’s, Lynsay Sands’s, and Marjorie Liu’s gems. I’ve got links to most of the major e-retailers.

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

Books A Million

Kobo

Google e-books

iBookstore

If you’re not sure if you have this one or not, here’s an excerpt: Holidays are Hell
Oh, by the way here's the cover it came from amazon with (for $0.99):
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	97391

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #1344
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Benedict Jacka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Annnd you've added to my TBR list, yet again!!!! I'm hoping to live to be 115, with my sight and faculties in tact, so that I can read at least half the books I'd like to read!
It's always nice to be told that you're good for Something!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #1345
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
For anyone looking for an alternate read in-between Dresden releases, I recommend the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia.

You can get the first three books in a combines ebook at the Baen eBooks web store for around $6.

It has a good narrative, similar to the first-person view of the Dresden series. There is a well-balanced mixture of action and humor with some word-play going on between the monster/fantasy realm and the "real" world. Also, it is based mostly in and around Alabama (although that may just be a personal preference of mine).

There are plenty of monsters in the mix from vampires and zombies to ancient demons and Lovecraftian elder gods. The monster hunters themselves come from varied backgrounds so it's not a pure-military group on the action side (which again may be just a personal preference). And we do have some mysticism and magic added to the mix.

Basic story-line:
Monsters are real. The government tries to keep the general populace unaware of them (shades of MIB) and has their own task force to handle monster related incidents. There is also a government-back bounty system in-place that pays private individuals for taking out any stray monster.
This is where MHI comes in. If you have survived a monster attack, you are aware of the true situation and they will try to recruit you for their private-business monster hunting team. The teams handle the monsters and everyone splits the bounty.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1346
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Nyssa's gonna' yell at you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
For anyone looking for an alternate read in-between Dresden releases, I recommend the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia.

You can get the first three books in a combines ebook at the Baen eBooks web store for around $6.

It has a good narrative, similar to the first-person view of the Dresden series. There is a well-balanced mixture of action and humor with some word-play going on between the monster/fantasy realm and the "real" world. Also, it is based mostly in and around Alabama (although that may just be a personal preference of mine).

There are plenty of monsters in the mix from vampires and zombies to ancient demons and Lovecraftian elder gods. The monster hunters themselves come from varied backgrounds so it's not a pure-military group on the action side (which again may be just a personal preference). And we do have some mysticism and magic added to the mix.

Basic story-line:
Monsters are real. The government tries to keep the general populace unaware of them (shades of MIB) and has their own task force to handle monster related incidents. There is also a government-back bounty system in-place that pays private individuals for taking out any stray monster.
This is where MHI comes in. If you have survived a monster attack, you are aware of the true situation and they will try to recruit you for their private-business monster hunting team. The teams handle the monsters and everyone splits the bounty.
I'll give you odds that Nyssa's gonna' squeal, holler and scream at you 'bout you giving her more backlog on her TBR!

P.S. Grabbed up a copy!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-07-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add a P.S.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #1347
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I'll give you odds that Nyssa's gonna' squeal, holler and scream at you 'bout you giving her more backlog on her TBR!

P.S. Grabbed up a copy!

Nyssa's not the only one - I'm squealin' and hollerin' right now. MHI has been recommended to me before, but that price is too good to pass up!

Edited to add: Oh, great! While I'm there I stumble onto the Grimnoir Chronicles. I think I need to just throw my hands up and walk away. Maybe read the books I have, and the two I just bought last night...

Oh, temptation...

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 12-07-2012 at 03:28 PM.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #1348
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:

P.S. Grabbed up a copy!

One of the series' characters I could easily relate to was a fantasy role player who would get all geeked out anticipating meetings with elves, trolls, and other fantasy-realm creatures...
...and then having to deal with the harsh reality of how the modern world has "tainted" them from their classical versions:
Spoiler:

The "Enchanted Forest" of the elves is really the "Enchanted Forest Trailer Park" in lower Mississippi and the elves have become... well, the type of people you would find living in a trailer park.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #1349
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Aaahhhhhh!!!!!

Quote:

P.S. Grabbed up a copy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
One of the series' characters I could easily relate to was a fantasy role player who would get all geeked out anticipating meetings with elves, trolls, and other fantasy-realm creatures...
...and then having to deal with the harsh reality of how the modern world has "tainted" them from their classical versions:
Spoiler:

The "Enchanted Forest" of the elves is really the "Enchanted Forest Trailer Park" in lower Mississippi and the elves have become... well, the type of people you would find living in a trailer park.
I knew about Monster Hunter International, having put it on my Amazon Wish List after spotting it at my childrens' school library! (I volunteered there just about everyday for 2.5 years before becoming a substitute teacher). What I didn't know was that it was available through BAEN and for so little.... Aaaaahhhh!!!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #1350
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Dead Beat

Ok, so I started Dead Beat a while ago, uhm, sometimes earlier today. Just starting Chapter 8 and found something worth quoting here:
Dead Beat, Chapter 8, first Paragraph:
Spoiler:
Quote:
I paused just before I opened the shop's door and walked outside. It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich place blaring over the store's ambient stereo. The movie of my life must be really low-budget.

I hope someone makes sure to have it sounding reaaally cheap when making the movie for it with a on his face (not again).

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy