Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #61
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Love the first three books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", the Feast of Crows book is such a departure from the other books, its difficult for me to get into.

The original Dark Tower I couldnt finish, because it was to sophomoric. The revised edition I finished because it was more polished, but still not that good in my opinion.

Dune Messiah was painful to finish but I pushed through the agony.

The last Harry Potter book was tedious, but I did finish.

The Wheel of Time series I gave up after book 12 I believe. The series just went on and on, not going anywhere. The final straw was when I finished one the books and started the next book, the storyline went back and dealt with a another character, it just didnt progress the plot line.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, I barely finished this book, I think it would have been better if I was stoned.

The Silmarillion by Tolkien, I dont think I ever finished the book.

Chronicles of the Shadow War trilogy by Chris Claremont, based on the Willow movie characters, it took me several tries to finish the first book, i just coudnt read the second book.

Eyes of the Dragon by King, it was a horrendous fantasy, I couldnt finish.

Hal Spacejock by Simon Haynes, every time I picked it up and tried to read, just nothing, I couldnt get past the first page.

Necroscope, that was a weird series.
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #62
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Game of Thrones. My friend lent me the first book and I am sure the mythology is interesting, but I can't take that much internal narrative.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #63
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #64
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyster View Post

The Silmarillion by Tolkien, I dont think I ever finished the book.

Chronicles of the Shadow War trilogy by Chris Claremont, based on the Willow movie characters, it took me several tries to finish the first book, i just coudnt read the second book.
The Silmarillion is really more of a mythology of Middle Earth book than a novel per se. I've read it a couple of times, but it is very much like a series of old Norse myths. If you like that style (I do), then it's pretty good, but I can see where most wouldn't like it.

Gosh, someone else actually tried to read that book? I loved the movie, but couldn't even come close to finishing the first book and didn't even bother with the others. It had none of the flavor of the movie. For that matter, I couldn't really even figure out what the plot line was suppose to be.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...Hal Spacejock by Simon Haynes, every time I picked it up and tried to read, just nothing, I couldnt get past the first page....
I absolutely love the whole series, and am eagerly looking forward to the next installment. Those Spacejock books are right up my alley. Too bad they don't work for you, but I guess as they say, different strokes for different swimmers. Or something like that.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #66
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
I'm a little surprised The Hunger Games hasn't come up yet. The first person present tense is just... ugggh.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #67
lebod
lebod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmm, I think I've failed just two or three times in my life. First was a finnish book a friend of mine praised for months, so I finally caved and started it. It was a two part book and I only managed to get through the first one. I have it on the bookshelf staring at me, and one day I shall finish it!

The second time was a book I received as a christmas present from my mother. A book about templars, I think. This was few years ago during the Dan Brown madness and was very similar to one of his books (Angels and demons maybe?). The book wasn't bad actually, but the translation was just so terrible I had to quit at some point. That book was the reason I didn't pick up a book for months and it took me at least two years to regain faith in translated books! (Though I was also a student so buying books in english was pretty much the only thing I could afford.)

Just last week I finished Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, and that was a battle. About half way of the book it just got so boring. I must have had in on my desk for more than a month! My girlfriend kept teasing me about how slow a reader I am, since I could only bare reading a chapter every now and then.
lebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #68
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebod View Post
My girlfriend kept teasing me about how slow a reader I am, since I could only bare reading a chapter every now and then.
Never read bare. It only leads to other things...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #69
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Love the first three books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", the Feast of Crows book is such a departure from the other books, its difficult for me to get into.
You should do what I'm doing and read A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons simultaneously (a chapter of AFfC and then a chapter of ADwD). Makes it much easier to get through the boring AFfC stuff when you weave in the more interesting ADwD stuff.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #70
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William F View Post
I'm a little surprised The Hunger Games hasn't come up yet. The first person present tense is just... ugggh.
I read the first chapter and it didn't make me want to read any more. But my wife won't stop raving about it, and the movie is coming out next month, so I promised I'd read it after I finish the Sherlock Holmes book I'm working on right now. I hope it gets better.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #71
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
The two that come to mind ATM are Stealing Light by Gary Gibson and The Elysium Commission by L.E. Modesitt Jr. I just could not get started with these two.

If we're talking series, I'd put the Dark Sword Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman at the top of my list. I forced myself through the first book but it was bad.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #72
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post
I would encourage you to finish Clash of Kings...the Arya Stark storyline and the introduction of the strange Jaqen H'ghar, and the climactic Battle of the Blackwater...will more than make up the novel's decidedly slower pace. ALso, I can't wait for you to get to the freakin' amazing Storm of Swords volume, which will kick ass. I promise you. Storm of Swords had so many WTF moments and just made me gasp in excitement throughout. I loved that book.
I agree - I finished Clash of Kings yesterday - I almost gave up about half way through, but stuck with it. The last few chapters, especially the shocker at the end, made it worth it. I will at least attempt Storm of Swords.

I'm having a hard time with Song of Ice and Fire. I love Martin's writing and characters, and it definitely hasn't felt like a chore to read - which is when I usually give up on a book. But I find it a challenge keeping track of the many near-independent plot lines. Half the time, at the start of a chapter, I have to go back a hundred pages to refresh myself on that character.

The most disappointing series in recent memory I couldn't complete was Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. I was so enraptured by Cryptonomicon that I really wanted to love the Baroque cycle, but I just couldn't get through it. On my second attempt, I got about half way through the second book (The Confusion) before I finally gave it up for good.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #73
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
I agree - I finished Clash of Kings yesterday - I almost gave up about half way through, but stuck with it. The last few chapters, especially the shocker at the end, made it worth it. I will at least attempt Storm of Swords.
Storm of Swords is an incredible book. I think it's really the best in the series, to be honest. It's actually the longest in terms of pages, but believe me those pages fly by with all the breathtaking action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
I'm having a hard time with Song of Ice and Fire. I love Martin's writing and characters, and it definitely hasn't felt like a chore to read - which is when I usually give up on a book. But I find it a challenge keeping track of the many near-independent plot lines. Half the time, at the start of a chapter, I have to go back a hundred pages to refresh myself on that character.
I feel you. With any epic series...there is always I think the issue of keeping tracking of a multitude of characters and story lines, but I guess that's why they call it "Epic"! But compared to Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series (the other sword and sorcery series in my life), the 10 volume series which redefines the word epic in my mind and has books that typically total over at thousand pages...Martin's tightly constructed universe of Westeros is actually a relief.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #74
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Chapterhouse Dune. good god what a boring novel. i think i only have around 50 pages left and i just can't do it. its so boring that its angering.

for all the praise the Dune series gets i'd say only 4 of them are good. Dune, Messiah(sorry about the struggle Jyster), Children and God Emperor. if you want to give the series a try i'd say those are the only ones you really need to read.

I gave up on Wheel of Time after book 4 i think. i just couldn't take anymore of nynaeve's perpetually on the rag attitude and ceaseless braid tugging. i hope she ended up pulling the damn thing off.

Last edited by xg4bx; 02-22-2012 at 01:07 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #75
tecweston
Comic book artist

Dune was a book I couldn't get through. I tried reading it ten years ago, though, so it might be time for another attempt.