Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
[Old Thread] Force page break in Mobi

In a HTML file I am trying to force a page break. <div style="page-break-before:always"/> that works. But when I convert it to Mobi, it doesn't work.
How do I force a page break in Mobi?
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the calibre viewer does not show pagebreaks when viewing mobi. use the kindle previewer for that
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Ah. Thank you.
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
what is the kindle previewer ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
what is the kindle previewer ?
Basically, it's a Kindle emulator. You can use it to open mobi files to get an idea what they'll look like on your Kindle.

You can get it here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks - for a minute I thought it was a calibre feature that I'd never noticed.

surely you'd use the free Kindle for PC , nowaadys, to truly emulate the kindle experience
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks - for a minute I thought it was a calibre feature that I'd never noticed.

surely you'd use the free Kindle for PC , nowaadys, to truly emulate the kindle experience
Not really.

The Kindle for PC app let's you read items you've purchased from Amazon on your PC or unencrypted mobis from any other source, but they look absolutely nothing like what they would on a Kindle.

The Kindle previewer app actually looks like a Kindle screen, you can adjust the font size, verify proper toc operation and nav point operation, etc.

For just reading on your PC, yeah, Kindle for PC would probably be the way to go, but who the heck wants to do that? For checking out the proper formatting of your mobi to; to see how it would look on an actual Kindle, the Kindle Previewer is the way to go.

- Byron
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

ok - I see how that could be useful.

can it be used from within calibre, as the default mobi format viewer - that would be handy for checking conversions prior to actually sending them to Kindle
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
ok - I see how that could be useful.

can it be used from within calibre, as the default mobi format viewer - that would be handy for checking conversions prior to actually sending them to Kindle
I can't say for certain but I don't believe so.

You can't really get it to open files any way other than starting it up and clicking on open file or dragging-n-dropping onto the open app. I've tried to set it as the default viewer in Windows and, while it will load upon double-clicking a mobi file, the mobi won't actually load. Same goes for right-clicking a mobi and selecting Open with.

- Byron
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Bob-El
Silent but deadly...
Bob-El began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, FBReader
I suppose the Kindle pre-viewer doesn't work in Ubuntu which is what I'm running Calibre in. Is there a Kindle pre-viewer that runs in Ubuntu?
Bob-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
As far as I know, Kindle Previewer is available only for Windows or Intel Mac. The page at http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621 has details and is where it can be downloaded - perhaps worth keeping an occasional eye on it in case they release additional versions in the future.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kindle previewer runs fine under wine
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
SDRNYC
SDRNYC began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE V3
I built my entire book in dreamweaver and exported it to .HTML
when I import it into Calibre it sees it as a zip file. When I convert it and export it to my Kindle 3, it ignores the page breaks. I have quotes that should be on their own page but it is not working. Should I save it as a different file type before importing it into Calibre?
I tried emailing it to free kindle account but it exceeds the number of images/files in the zip. (in order to use images)

Regards,
Stephen
SDRNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRNYC View Post
when I import it into Calibre it sees it as a zip file.
Calibre does not see it as a zip file it sees it as a html file. When a html file is added to calibre, calibre will reach out and grab any other html pages and any images and package the complete group in a zip file for handling purposes.

Quote:
When I convert it and export it to my Kindle 3, it ignores the page breaks. I have quotes that should be on their own page but it is not working.
I'm not familiar with html but are you using the Mobipocket-specific page break tag:
Code:
<mbp:pagebreak/>
There is a good write up on creating mobi books in the mobilread wiki. Also there is a another forum here that specializes in mobi and there is the Mobipocket development center that may have info critical to developing your book. I almost forgot check out Amazon's kindle Publishing programs for more info.

Good Luck with your book.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-04-2011 at 02:03 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #15
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I built my entire book in dreamweaver and exported it to .HTML
when I import it into Calibre it sees it as a zip file. When I convert it and export it to my Kindle 3, it ignores the page breaks. I have quotes that should be on their own page but it is not working. Should I save it as a different file type before importing it into Calibre?
I tried emailing it to free kindle account but it exceeds the number of images/files in the zip. (in order to use images)
If I understood you correctly, you're trying to send the ZIP containing the HTML file(s) to your Kindle. You'll need to convert to MOBI first.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote