Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*mumbles* I think I actually said that way back when the truth about nook lending came out
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
*mumbles* I think I actually said that way back when the truth about nook lending came out
Yes... you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
wowsers! the lending issue just got blown out of the water! if I have 2 kids I need to make a Sophie's Choice in book distribution? choose between a spouse and a lover? 20 years from now I meet my soul mate that has the same reading choices I do and I have to confess; "sorry CHarlie, that book sailed a long time ago!"

that right there pretty much unsealed whatever deal may have been brewing in my brain
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
why thank you Ms. Duck!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
And BN knew this could happen when they started trumpeting it as a big difference maker between the Nook and the Kindle.

Why didn't they fight for the customers...instead of hoping the customers would fight for themselves?
I repeat--perhaps they were hoping that consumer outcry would force the publishers' hands.

I don't know if that is true. It's just a theory.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've removed the quotation marks from the thread title because it is not a direct quotation.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #21
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I don't have a problem with Bezo's answers. She started the interviewing by asking him what he thought of a competitor's fancy new product. Who does that?

His response that he didn't want to discuss their product was certainly appropriate. Her very next question was another Nook related question. No wonder Bezos came off like he was in a bad mood -- he probably was.

I also happen to agree with his answer. I ordered the Nook but cancelled it when I found out how lame their lending feature actually was. I felt like B&N was pulling a bait and switch.
YOU CAN LEND BOOKS TO FRIENDS IF YOU BUY A NOOK!!!
Fineprint: Only if the publisher allows it. Only for 14 days. Only to one person. You can lend out the book once and once only -- ever!
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Everyone asks. Sometimes you get a hilarious historical comment. I think it was Microsoft's Steve Balmer who laughed at Apple getting into the mobile phone business. Laugh much lately about that one?

This lending feature is the first step. To me it is revolutionary and I hope the spark turns into a flame. Remember when DRM-free downloaded music was just a spark?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I've removed the quotation marks from the thread title because it is not a direct quotation.

That was wrong. I never stated that it was a direct attribution -- you must love the Nook guys or something. I hope that this is not what Mobile read is about to become.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #24
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
So now maybe you'll undo the changes you illegitimately made to my thread title:

Quote:
Another common use of quotation marks is to indicate or call attention to ironic or apologetic words:

He shared his “wisdom” with me.
The lunch lady plopped a glob of “food” onto my tray.

To avoid the potential for confusion between ironic quotes and direct quotations, some style guides specify single quotation marks for this usage, and double quotation marks for verbatim speech. Quotes indicating irony, or other special use, are sometimes called scare, sneer, shock, distance, or horror quotes. They are sometimes gestured in oral speech using air quotes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark
There was definite irony in Bezos first answer and then the two that followed.

PLEASE change my thread title back to what it was.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #25
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I don't think I like the nook. Let's face it, though, sharing the book just once effectively halves its cover price to two readers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #26
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I don't like the nook, but I agree with Patricia's removal of the quotation marks in the title as it does make it appear to be a direct quote of Bezos. Not that I care for him very much either, but I believe in accuracy. At best you could say you are paraphrasing Bezos, but if you read it he doesn't even come close to saying loaning books is lame, he just doesn't like that you lend out a book only once.

Personally I'm looking for a different eBook reader, and it ain't going to be a Kindle or a nook.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #27
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
While, in principle, I think it's iffy to muck about with other people's thread titles, I do agree that, in the original form, this did suggest very strongly that the remarks came directly from JB. That might not have been the intention, but it was the effect.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
So now maybe you'll undo the changes you illegitimately made to my thread title:

There was definite irony in Bezos first answer and then the two that followed.

PLEASE change my thread title back to what it was.
Quoting a statement is attributing a direct quote. Scare quotes only apply to a single word for phrase.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
you are paraphrasing Bezos,
...and thats just what it was. I'm strongly suspecting some pro-Nook bias here.

Quote:
Personally I'm looking for a different eBook reader, and it ain't going to be a Kindle or a nook.

Etienne66

Those reviews threw you off?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #30
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
I think it's iffy to muck about with other people's thread titles
Yup. Oh well, water under the bridge.

She won't do it again.