Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
alegeott
alegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it isalegeott knows what time it is

Device: Pocketbook Pro 603 (Leggo IBS)
Iliad bootloader: how to break automatic boot process?

Hi guys,
As written here, there are good news about the extraction of a serial port.
But now, in order to properly work to porting of kernel 2.6, I would to start boot from the network.
If this is not possible, I want to know how to stop the boot process and run a custom kernel image (also from a location on the network if possible).
Has anyone any ideas?
Of course, I have posted also on Irexnet forum hoping to talk with someone from Irex, but for now I have been ignored (as usual)... and only a Irex developever knows how the Iliad bootloader works (it is closed source code).
This situation is really frustrating...

ps: In the last post on Iliad kernel's development there are also the serial port's connection photos; here there are the log boot reports.

Last edited by alegeott; 12-03-2009 at 11:08 AM.
alegeott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegeott View Post
But now, in order to properly work to porting of kernel 2.6, I would to start boot from the network.
If this is not possible, I want to know how to stop the boot process and run a custom kernel image (also from a location on the network if possible).
Has anyone any ideas?
First of all, be aware that the process to flash your custom kernel to the iliad is well documented and tested.

And about booting from the network:

The only "network-boot" that has surfaced in both mobilered forums or irex forums, is for userspace (using NFS root; matthijs posted a 2.4 kernel suitable for that in irex forums). That will not help for loading the kernel itself.

I can only think of a rather convoluted way: using the kexec route with a NFS-enabled 2.4 kernel. Kexec booting is possible, that is, booting first to kernel 2.4 and from there boot kernel 2.6 (this is what nalim did, and also what ulno and myself were testing in the other thread). Problem: AFAICT the kexec-enabled kernel doesn't has NFS support, so it would have to be recompiled.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
According to ericshliao you can boot from CF by putting "boot" in the config-file used for reflashing. I don't know if this also picks up a new kernel.
And there's kexec which is in some custom kernel (see this tread) so you can test a 2.6 kernel.

I haven't tried any of them so I don't know exactly how it works.

ps. haven't read anything about a network boot...
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote