Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #31
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Awesome! These were the two fixes I was waiting for. Looks like it's finally time to update from 3.12.1.
I'm now running the newest firmware on my Aura which, as stated, does fix the "pinch to zoom" and failure to refresh at chapter breaks bug (yay!), but it introduces a slight bit of lag when using the two-finger swipe to change brightness. The level no longer changes instantly but visibly ramps up and down, which can make fine adjustments a little tricky. I'm honestly not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

Otherwise, the menus and general operation seems a bit snappier compared to 3.12.1.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 12-08-2015 at 12:10 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #32
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Edit: Not fixed:

The TOC/Navigation problems in those ePubs where the publisher has put multiple chapters in one internal file are still present: The tick mark stays beside the first chapter in the file instead of advancing to the current chapter in the file; and the chapter-back << and chapter forward >> buttons do not work properly when the relevant chapter is not the first in the file.
Damn! That's the only bug that seriously bugs me.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Otherwise, the menus and general operation seems a bit snappier compared to 3.12.1.
Turning pages with RDSMK (ePub) is also faster.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Damn! That's the only bug that seriously bugs me.
It's a very easy fix to edit the ePub in Sigil and split the files with multiple chapters.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #35
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's a very easy fix to edit the ePub in Sigil and split the files with multiple chapters.
I know that. But it is extremely inconvenient with poetry collections. I don't want several hundred of individual files in a book.
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I know that. But it is extremely inconvenient with poetry collections. I don't want several hundred of individual files in a book.
That's actually the best way to do it. Each chapter should be a separate flow (XHTML file).
Old 12-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #37
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
That's actually the best way to do it. Each chapter should be a separate flow (XHTML file).
What is the advantage that would outbalance the fact that such books take ages to open in Sigil?

It's also nice to have the option to have poem cycles where not each individual poem has to start on a new page.

Is there anywhere in the epub specs that demands each chapter must constitute an indvidual file? If so, I'll shut up, because then the behaviour of recent Kobo firmwares isn't a bug. But if it isn't in the specs it is a bug that needs to be fixed.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What is the advantage that would outbalance the fact that such books take ages to open in Sigil?

It's also nice to have the option to have poem cycles where not each individual poem has to start on a new page.

Is there anywhere in the epub specs that demands each chapter must constitute an indvidual file? If so, I'll shut up, because then the behaviour of recent Kobo firmwares isn't a bug. But if it isn't in the specs it is a bug that needs to be fixed.
The mobile spec for ePub says that each flow has to be of a certain size (I forget just what that is). Also, some older Readers (still in use) are better with smaller flows because they have a slow processor.

This kepub bug is a bug. It's just that it would not be an issue if those that combines chapters didn't do that.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #39
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:

Not a tribute to Kobo, but this was always needed for my old Sony's.
If those long multiple chapters files are over 200 KB the reader always crashed.
Whenever I make a book with Abby, I always split it at a new chapter.
IMHO it takes the same lenght of amount of time if Sigil has to open such a long html file and it gives more memory problems with the program then a bunch of short html files.
Also search sakes much longer in such long files,and I still have to open every epub because it is never the way I want it..Since i have still some old Sony readers it is become a habit to split them.
I don't think they are mandatory by an epub specification but they do give problems in other reader so I edit them,and with every book I have some thoughts you don't want to have so near Christmas about those ebook "engineers" that think every book has to be a website and all the looks and feels of the original book including all those idiot margins, color values....
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #40
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
The mobile spec for ePub says that each flow has to be of a certain size (I forget just what that is). Also, some older Readers (still in use) are better with smaller flows because they have a slow processor.

This kepub bug is a bug. It's just that it would not be an issue if those that combines chapters didn't do that.
That old maximum size is 260 kB per file. That's a LOT of poems; I usually stay well below that with multiple poems in a file.

And as I said before: there sometimes are good reasons to have multiple chapters in a file. I am perfectly wiling to go with a chapter per file in a novel, but I don't want to be forced to do it all the time.

And it isn't just a kepub bug. I only use regular epubs.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That old maximum size is 260 kB per file. That's a LOT of poems; I usually stay well below that with multiple poems in a file.

And as I said before: there sometimes are good reasons to have multiple chapters in a file. I am perfectly wiling to go with a chapter per file in a novel, but I don't want to be forced to do it all the time.

And it isn't just a kepub bug. I only use regular epubs.
Since getting my H2O, I've not read any ePub that has multiple ToC entries for the same file. So I didn't know this bug exists for RMDSK.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #42
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Not a tribute to Kobo, but this was always needed for my old Sony's.
If those long multiple chapters files are over 200 KB the reader always crashed.
Whenever I make a book with Abby, I always split it at a new chapter.
IMHO it takes the same lenght of amount of time if Sigil has to open such a long html file and it gives more memory problems with the program then a bunch of short html files.
Also search sakes much longer in such long files,and I still have to open every epub because it is never the way I want it..Since i have still some old Sony readers it is become a habit to split them.
I don't think they are mandatory by an epub specification but they do give problems in other reader so I edit them,and with every book I have some thoughts you don't want to have so near Christmas about those ebook "engineers" that think every book has to be a website and all the looks and feels of the original book including all those idiot margins, color values....
Well, I totally agree with the last part of your rant, but I haven't had the same experiences regarding processing speed. Files shouldn't be monster large, but you shouldn't have a monster number of files either. I will never forget the King James Bible I once bought, which had a file for every single chapter. It only became usable after I had merged the files to a much smaller number. So I think there is something like a Golden Mean, and with a very large number of chapters it isn't necessarily a file for each chapter.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

James Patterson eBooks have up to about 150 files.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #44
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Since getting my H2O, I've not read any ePub that has multiple ToC entries for the same file. So I didn't know this bug exists for RMDSK.
There were always problems with the KePub reader if the book had multiple chapters per file, but the ePub reader wasn't affected until recently. Not sure exaclty when it started, but maybe 3.16.0 or 3.17.0.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #45
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
James Patterson eBooks have up to about 150 files.
Which is not a problem. I haven't thoroughly tested this, but I'd say the number of files begins to get problematic above 300 or 400. Many poets wrote a lot more poems.

Tags
firmware 3.19, kobo