Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-02-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Aventuremail.com 2Gb FREE E-Mail

British-based Aventure Mail offers a 2Gb (Gigabyte) free email service with quick signup, no advertisement, no attachment restriction sizes, spam and virus protection, and soon also with SSL encryption.

I already signed up and saved an email address for myself. I am not sure for how long they can offer free signups, so better hurry - it is still free!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok that is THE GMail killer. If they can continue the services. Which is questionable. 2Gb for free is A LOT. How do they want to finance this offer? Is it time limited?

Beside GMail and this holy one, I only know of Planet-Tolkien.com and Lycos Europe which offer something along 1Gb. But not for free - the services cost something around $5 USD/month.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
sas
Enthusiast
sas began at the beginning.

Device: T650 & T/T3
Alexander, this is quite interesting. It allows to sign up with a 3 letters user name , supports RPOP, auto-responders, filtering, e-mail aliases, etc, etc.

It's so good, I can hardly believe it is true I have a gmail account, and although its potential is significant, for the moment the lack of any way for notifications prevents me from serious usage. And this is so full-featured...

What are these guys making their living from

Thanks a lot for sharing

Enjoy

SAS
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sas, I even fetched a two letter user name

You having a GMail account? LUCKY bastard Do you know PGtGM? --> http://jaybe.org/pgtgm/

Can you invite other people to the GMail beta circle?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
sas
Enthusiast

yeap, I read about it But it requires to install NetRuntime libraries /or whatever this is/, and I did not feel like installing 2x MB stuff, for a program of 300 K. YahooPOPs is much simpler, so I can wait for something of this kind

Actually, what I want is not so much POP access /why, when it allows 1 GB /, as just notification - preferably with forwarding /coming soon, AFAIK/, or via IM. Though I suppose that it will be first integrated in Google toolbar

For the moment I don't have an option for invitations , but be sure I'll think about you, when I have it BTW - I was invited to join the gmail service as a 'regular' /I don't consider myself being such/ blogger author. So, if you have a personal blog there.....

Enjoy
Advert
Old 06-02-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
gyffes
Enthusiast
gyffes is on a distinguished road

Device: eMate!!! oh, and an NX-60
2letter names just increase yer spamability...
gyffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
sas
Enthusiast

Not necessarily. In my experience, it depends on the 'popularity' of the provider. If he is well-knows - you get
1. longer name
2. more spam

I have several '3 letters' accounts, like sas@nooneeverheardaboutthisservice.com and the level of spam there is practically 0. And probably you know how it is in hotmail, yahoo, etc...
Old 06-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #8
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wow, this looks pretty cool! I have a gmail account also and I have to say that it's features are really cool with the potential to get better. The privacy issues are a concern, but not enough to stop me.

I am trying to get an account at aventuremail, but I think that their servers are already beginning to suffer! I can't seem to complete the signup...

Sorry Alex, I gave away my gmail invite to a friend at work. I wish that I knew you were looking for one. PGtGM is cool, but to me the whole point of gmail is accessing from multiple locations and the threading features... I've been using IMAP from fusemail (used to be free, but now has minimal cost), which works okay, but not good enough... Thinking about building my own email server now, and probably using some combo of webmail and IMAP to access my mail.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

trust me, I am the king in receiving spam mails ;( My biggest mistake was to once publish my email address to the frontpage of turcic.com. I had to blacklist those emails (webmaster@, isilo@, isilox@, etc). I get around 400-500 spams / DAILY on those accounts. So if you really want to make someone your enemy, post his/her email to my frontpage. Just kidding.

I don't know if I am ever going to use the aventuremail account. Perhaps I will use it for signing up to those services where I won't care about receiving spam at the end. As long as I can keep my real email address relatively spam-free, I am all happy
Old 06-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

ignatz, I am more curious in testing GMail than actually using it. But thanks for mentioning it. With all those new mail services popping up, I wonder if Google is actually having any chance to succeed with their free email model (contextual ads).
Old 06-02-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/avmail/public_html/gateway/includes/db_mysql.php on line 80
There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

MySQL error:
MySQL error number:
Script: /index.php
Date: June 2, 2004, 9:37 pm

Connection failed.
Tstststs... Alex, what have you done. Looks like their server is already dead by receiving too many requests
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #12
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to say, the contextual ads are very easy to ignore. I didn't even notice them for a while. Much nicer than pulsing banners... I've been using gmail fulltime for about a week now as my primary email address. It's nicely done. I'm impressed in spite of myself. The spam filtering is not as great as I would have hoped, but there are no false negatives and the accounts I'm forwarding there get a lot of spam. Yah, I'll be curious to see where they go with it.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #13
mochant
mochant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie UX50
Ah... they're down for the count

Overwhelmed by demand (what did they expect). Oh well, got mine and not sure what I'll do with it. With a GMail account already up and running and carrying a lot of my mail traffic, I'm also not sure why I needed this but could not resist ;^)

I believe this is a hosting company and they're doing some brand building. I hope they get their service back up quickly or they'll be establishing a seriously wrong brand image!
mochant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #14
ignatz
mechanoholic

well the account setup is working now, but I can't get into the inbox. Same as the rest of ya, don't know if I'm gonna use it or not, but I'm sure curious. How can folks not be ready for an onslaught when they offer something like this? It hasn't even made it out into the mainstream yet. When I last checked, Spymac still hadn't recovered from their 1 gig email offer...
Old 06-03-2004, 02:56 AM   #15
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Due to the massive amount of signups we are curently performing upgrades
Please re-visit in 24 hrs!
they try at least
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote