Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
bspooky
bspooky began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
SD Card spead?

SD cards are not created equal. The SDHC have class ratings indicating speed (don't remember if it is write or read) but even regular SD cards have speed differences. Some companies place stuff like "45x" on their SD card to indicate how "fast" it is but that may be of dubious value / marketing speed.

BUT, I do know from speed test people have been performing on Palm's and Treo's for years some SD cards are a lot faster than others.

I wonder if it makes a difference on the Kindle? I moved form a super slow SD card on my Treo to a faster one and it made a difference with SOME applications, but not all. That old super slow card is just collecting dust, wondering if I should use it or spring for a fast SD card....or if that would just be wasted in the Kindle.

Anyone have any thoughts? Doubt there is a speed test utility applicatoin built into the Kindle. ;-)
bspooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspooky View Post
SD cards are not created equal. The SDHC have class ratings indicating speed<Del>
Anyone have any thoughts? Doubt there is a speed test utility applicatoin built into the Kindle. ;-)
hardly a rigorous test, but i just pulled a 4g 150x sd card out of the kindle to try out an 8gb sdhc class2 card and in the brief trial i gave it i detected no discernable difference in performance.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert