Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #361
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@Antoinekamel: The "double-escaping" is a well-known problem caused by the combination of java .properties, UTF-8 format of the properties, and transifex in between. The package building tool tries to find such occurrences intelligently, but it seems to have missed them in your case for whichever reason.

You can simply remove the excessive backslashes in transifex in 99% of the cases (the 1% is where they actually are important, e.g. for escaping control characters like "\n").

@diba: If you take a close look at the keyboard layout file, you will see that the german one is entirely missing the definition for the "numerical-only" keyboard, while en-US has it. (I don't remember the file format exactly, but it's pretty intuitive to understand). Feel free to come up with a fixed version... But since that'll obviously be fixed soon by Amazon, I guess we'll just wait for a few more weeks.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #362
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Working on hindi.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #363
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Anyone already successfully updated to 5.1? I am stuck with Error 006, every possibilty I can imganine tested. With/wtout localisation, removed all hacks, factory reset ...
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #364
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

On MexxBooks I get the first approved update to 5.1 without uninstalling any hack. He left even the localisation, did just a factory reset and it worked.

Its again just my Kindle which is making trouble, had the same thing from 3.2.1 to 3.3 on my K3 ..., anyone a clue?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #365
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Currently trying it as well. I also got error 6 in phase 2/2. I think I'll simply copy over the pristine 5.0.0 root image and do an update from there. Much easier than manually uninstalling all hacks. I'll keep you updated.

Update: It worked. Here are the steps I took:
  1. Make sure that you are using the diags partition with SSH. To install, enable usbnetwork while normally booted, then: dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2_ssh.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p2 bs=4K
  2. Create ENABLE_DIAGS file on the "USB drive", and reboot.
  3. Once in diags, enable usbnetwork by touching the N - U - Z - X items.
  4. Wait for 30 seconds, then SSH to 192.168.15.244 (user: root, pw: mario)
  5. dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
  6. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K (this resets a few settings, but actual content is still kept)
  7. idme -d --bootmode main
  8. rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS; sync; reboot
After that, I could update to 5.1.0 without problems. I'll now check the localization procedure (Since 5.1.0 includes french, german, spanish, brazilian portuguese, I guess that these translations are now obsolete; there are still other languages for which this may be useful).

Last edited by ixtab; 04-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #366
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab, I haven't KT near me (and surely will not have it for some time which I can't predict), so I can't help with experiments or testing of localization on 5.1.0. I've took a look at update bundle contents though. As localization (our's or Amazon's) is based only on adding files, update bundle content will serve me fine in purposes of extracting Pillow/WAF resources, if there will be need in it (if there will be report(s) of flaws in current JS resources' localization state).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #367
ixtab
(offline)

I have quickly tested it with the polish locale.

Good news: in principle, it works. The "locale settings enabler" is no longer needed, because it's now built-in.

Bad news: blanket screens seem screwed up somehow. I didn't get so far as to figure out why that is (it may just be somewhat different parameters).

If I get around to it, I will check for the differences in the resources (not today though). If anybody else wants to help out with this, you're more than welcome. Until then, I'll update the first post to have people refrain from installing it if on 5.1.0.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #368
Hektor
Hektor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Unfortunately I read the warnings AFTER I tried to uninstall the German language pack on firmware 5.1.0. (Bad idea, I know...)
There were some displaying issues like empty boxes (Fonts configuration) and incomplete text messages (USB mode).
I don´t know how to downgrade or reinstall firmware, so I decided to follow the uninstall procedure mentioned on this site.
Now the German localization field is missing.
Is there any (easy) way to restore the missing files from firmware 5.1.0?
Hektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #369
diba
Addict

To my best knowledge, I think you will have to go the hard way via 5.0 and to 5.1 again.
See post 365 some 3 up here.
What you can try, but failed for others already, is to install the german language pack from ixtab again. But WITHOUT the locale settings enabler.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #370
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

@ixtab, any progress in making localization working on 5.1.0?
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #371
ixtab
(offline)

Nope

I'm currently busy with real life, so I probably won't have time to look into this in the near future. I was hoping for someone else to start exploring it... maybe - you?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #372
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Hmm, I dunno Java at all, and my KT is 5.0.0 now. Just didn't want to mess with its F/W because I'm lazy

Actually I was talking on behalf of russian community on the-ebook.org, some ppl there have 5.1.0 installed and want localization as well as those on 5.0.x
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #373
ixtab
(offline)

This doesn't really require much knowledge about Java. The most important task is to identify what has changed with the current firmware version, compared to the older ones.

For the "framework" part, that means running the "extract" task of the tool, and comparing its output to the current version. For the "locale" (=blanket) part, it means comparing the current gettext(.mo) files with the current reference state. For waf and pillow, it means comparing the .js "resource" files.

It's not complicated at all, it only requires a bit of time. Since I simply don't have that time right now, I was hoping for some other interested folks to take care of it. A concrete decision on what needs to be done to support 5.1.0 is only possible after this initial analysis has been done.

PS: I do realize that there are people ("users") who simply don't understand the details, and who just want to use things. OTOH, I also see people requesting features that they can figure out for themselves, but they prefer to go the easy way and ask someone else to do it. That's not the idea of this forum. Everybody here is invited to benefit from others' work, but what's even more appreciated is active involvement.

PPS: Don't get me wrong, the above is *not* targeted at you, JustAMan. I know you have been contributing to the localization. I'm simply hoping for a bit of participation from other folks who are interested in the matter. It's a "give and take" thing...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #374
cybergeene
cybergeene began at the beginning.

Smile Russian lang pack.

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...er=asc&start=0
Here the link.
I think author can help to translate to another languages. Try to contact him.
cybergeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #375
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergeene View Post
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...er=asc&start=0
Here the link.
I think author can help to translate to another languages. Try to contact him.
Just for clarification. That thread on Russian forum isn't about "Russian lang pack". It's about custom layout for KT's on-screen keyboard providing characters from Russian alphabet.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote