Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
omagedon
Edge User

Anybody gets a "Black Screen of Death"?

At first my eDGe would freeze on me, but lately I been just browsing the web etc and I would get the "Black Screen of Death" but this is much worse than the Windows "Blue Screen of Death" since it doesn't restart you have to pull the battery.

Does anybody have this problem?

I am going on a cruise later this week and I am really debating on whether or not to send it back to Entourage or bring and deal with the crashes on the cruise..

Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

Yes, happened to me frequently before the software update. It's happened a few times since, but mostly shortly after powering on. In other words, once I get the screen, I have to take the battery out and restart a few times in a row.

But, it only seems to happen when we're out in the sun, so I wondered whether the heat of direct sunlight in Mexico here is partly to blame. I have other battery issues (flickering LED) and a power cord that's not recognized for charging so enTourage and I suspect I actually have more going on than just that. But yes, I've been having that issue.

I haven't been able to get it to start charging for the last few days, so I'm hesitant to turn it on and play with it at all, in case something comes up and I need a charge to apply a fix, so I can't do much more trouble shooting right now.

Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
done
Edge User

If you have not already, please contact the tech support team for help with this issue. You can do this either by submitting a ticket through this link: http://www.entourageedge.com/support...kets&_a=submit or by phone at 1-703-650-5381

Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
dcubed2
Edge User

I haven't had it to the point of needing to take the battery out (in fact, haven't touched the battery yet). Sometimes, it'll just go blank/turned off and I need to reboot. But so far, rebooting has worked. I'm having the issue of the lcd coming on after being locked - even with no one near it. Ghosts ;-)

Sarah, are you getting a new AC cord from enTourage? With the pin size being small, I'm hoping they will just send out new cords to those who have had problems - even if they aren't in the US. After all, I think the international shipping of the unit is a regulatory issue (like some software can't be sold outside US), but the cord should be exempt.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
devseev
Edge User

It happened to me a few times today - had me worried. I then uninstalled some third-party apps I had installed earlier and it hasn't happened again ... yet.

Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
omagedon
Edge User

Yeah, its wierd. Since, I started to having these issues since I got this device, I since removed my two apps that might have caused the problem same thing. I am just using the base browser and its doing it so at the moment I have no 3rd Party Apps.

Hello, Done I have a outstanding ticket that I mentioned that I am testing it right now since I haven't had a day that my device didn't crash since I got it last Tuesday...will do more testing and see, I am thinking either the display/memory is faulty. Since, I was just doing random browsing (reading news). I played this game that is on the device called "Bubble" and after awhile you can see the speed slow down drastically for a bit then it will pick up but it has crashed on me on that game twice out of four times I played.

Otherwise, the book side seems to be working fine with no problems..

DCUBED: How did you reboot, cause for me pressing the power button doesn't do anything when my screen is black (frozen/crash).

Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
dcubed2
Edge User

The power button still did work for me, luckily. I pressed it until it came up again... I think it was about the same time as the eDGe decided to not recognize my AC adapter. I had it plugged in, charging and then pfft, it said battery draining. I had to power off then too. I can't remember if the black screen was right before or right after that hiccup. For, me they may have been related and related to the mysterious screen turning itself on thing. Now I'm scrupulous about powering down whenever I'm not going to be using the eDGe. Well, I guess you can't say that each eDGe doesn't have it's own 'personality', ;-)

The only 3rd party app I have installed is Dolphin Browser, and no one seems to be having issues with it - are you?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

Not sure. I've had a couple incidents where it seemed to lock up in use, but that may have been me not realizing there was an input notification in the background. I had one occurrence where it had been left closed, but plugged into power for a few hours and when opened seemed unresponsive to everything except the power button.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
chuck56
Edge User

I've had to pull teh battery once with the update.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Yep...does this to me *every* time I have it closed for a significant amount of time. Have to do a hard reset every time. Once I even had to remove the battery to get it to reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Not sure. I've had a couple incidents where it seemed to lock up in use, but that may have been me not realizing there was an input notification in the background. I had one occurrence where it had been left closed, but plugged into power for a few hours and when opened seemed unresponsive to everything except the power button.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
omagedon
Edge User

I have no issues with Dolpin Browser but just to be safe I uninstalled everything that I had from 3rd party and left it from default. I really debating on resetting it to defaults to see if it freezes again on me. I probably need to do it soon since my cruise is in four days LOL. It would be nice for me bring my device on the biggest cruise ship in the world, to see how it works on a vacation. Basically that is what I bought it for....since my iphone browsing the web sucks when I travel lol.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
done
Edge User

Moving this thread to the General Help forum.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
kenjennings
Edge User

Power/runtime weirdness...
I'm certain I turned off the edge before leaving work yesterday. Later that night I took it out of the computer bag and it was warm, but seemingly inactive.
The LCD was black, the track ball light was off, but the eInk screen showed the last PDF document that was opened when it was on, instead of the default entourage splash screen stack of books. This suggests to me the device had started/booted again for some reason.
In this state the power button would turn it "on", at least as much as the trackball light turning on, but the LCD display would never light up, and no button other than Power would cause anything to happen.
Eventually, I got tired of trying to cajole it into good behavior and just popped the battery out then put it back in and the edge started up normally.
When it restarted the system reported 88% battery power.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
omagedon
Edge User

Ken, I heard that it is supposed to do that since it remembers what the last PDF you opened. It shows even when it is shut off...it only shows the default entourage splash screen of books when you boot it up again but then it goes back to the last PDF.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #15
kenjennings
Edge User

I shut down and rebooted several times to test this. I get the entourage splash when it shuts down and then it reopens the last document when turned back on.