Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
balbados
balbados began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
calibre 0.8.3 upgrade not installing under XP

I have tried to upgrade to the latest calibre version three times downloading a fresh upgrade each time. The same error message appears, namely:
"The cabinet file 'calibre.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package."

The upgrade worked fine on another computer running XP and when I download the file on the other computer and transfered it to my netbook it upgraded successfully. This is the first time that I have seen a "corrupted file" message on the netbook on any download.

Can anyone offer an explanation?
balbados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by balbados View Post
I have tried to upgrade to the latest calibre version three times downloading a fresh upgrade each time. The same error message appears, namely:
"The cabinet file 'calibre.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package."

The upgrade worked fine on another computer running XP and when I download the file on the other computer and transfered it to my netbook it upgraded successfully. This is the first time that I have seen a "corrupted file" message on the netbook on any download.

Can anyone offer an explanation?
Anti-virus or firewall or download manager (the most common reasons)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
balbados

calibre 0.8.3 upgrade not installing under XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Anti-virus or firewall or download manager (the most common reasons)?
Thank you for the information. The anti-virus or firewall has not been a problem in the past, but I will see what happens with the next upgrade.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is also possible that you simply got a corrupt download and that bad copy got cached (so that your retries got the same corrupt copy). This cache can happen either locally at your browser level, or remotely at the network/ISP level. If that happens, then downloading on another computer often fixes the problem if it bypasses the cached copy. It can also 'magically' fix itself on the first computer if the cached copy gets invalidated so your next attempt gets a good copy.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Yes, it has installed on my XP netbook without any problems so I presume it is either a corrupt download or a firewall problem as above.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
balbados

Thank you all for your help. It does look as though the problem related to the download as subsequent updates have installed without any problems even though the firewall and anti-virus programs were running. Just one of those "little mysteries"that can never be explained.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lots of you seem to think that their Anti-Virus / Internet Security suite is 'static' and behaves the same all the time .
Many of these get Daily (or more frequently) definition updates.
Those, coupled with your custom exclusions, set the behaviour for the duration that update. An update may have been over zealous in 'fixing' a download. (Personally, I prefer the 'Ask-me what to do' setting. Firstly: you get to know something was there. Second: You get the chance to override the decision if you are sure of your source.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote