Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #46
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
@soondai:

the IQ is a variant of the PDN but Pocketbook take their pride in developing very good and user-approved firmware & software.

So once it's out it might be much better than the PDN...
I am very curious and hope to soon get me one!
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #47
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
OK. I have the PocketBook IQ on order. I am curious how to BUY applications.

I have installed the Android SDK. I have copied the HTC image that has the Market App. It runs. I can install free apps of the Android Emulator. It looks like I can purchase an App that I want.

But, how can I get from Android Market on an Android 1.6 Emulator to a real Android Tablet running 2.0?

I know I can install .APK files from either the PC using the USB cable, or, by putting the .APK file on an SD card.

But, HOW do I get the .APK file - once I purchase it from the Android Market via the Android Emulator?

It is probably heaps easier to find an illegitimate copy on the darknet!
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #48
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Has anyone tried the Archos 101 Internet Tablet that has just been released? It is supposed to have Android 2.2 on it and a whole lot of other features.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #49
AndroidGold
AndroidGold began at the beginning.

Device: AG2 Android Tablet from AndroidGold.com
Misjudging the ZT-180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
Tried that ZT180 and it is nothing more than a sluggish piece of digital photoframe. Definitely, there a lot better android Tablets than this. My friends has an android tablets with A removable battery and GPSand it performs way better thanthe ZT180 . l now read with a win7 Tablet with capacitive screen and it's working very well for me.
In all fairness, the ZT-180 was initially released in April 2010 with a lackluster firmware and diminished hardware specs. In October 2010 it received a slight upgrade in screen resolution from 1024x574 to 1024x600 as well as a firmware upgrade on 10/20/2010 which resolved many of the functionality issues with both the resistive touch-screen and also the USB2.0 port.

Now we sell the latest upgrade of this Android tablet for under $200 - and that comes WITH a keyboard/case, and we're expecting to release a firmware upgrade to Android 2.2 within this month.

Furthermore, the ZT-180 is scheduled for several divergent upgrades, including a capacitive screen version which we are currently testing prototype versions of, the addition of a camera and upgraded DDR for the resistive screen version, and soon to come a 7" Android tablet to be sold alongside the current 10" Android tablet.
AndroidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #50
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
The Toshiba Folio 100 is now available for £329 from PC World in the UK and looks like a strong contender, with a 1024x600 10" capacitive screen, 16GB, 2 USB ports, an SD slot, and a Tegra 2 processor. Full specs:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshib...73544-pdt.html

Graham
Hope it's a mistake, but that link currently shows the price at £999 At £329 it looks like the most interesting (in the UK) Android tablet yet, at £999 it's a non-starter.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #51
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Hope it's a mistake, but that link currently shows the price at £999 At £329 it looks like the most interesting (in the UK) Android tablet yet, at £999 it's a non-starter.

Pete
Hopefully, it's a mistake. That page originally said £329 (and is still showing as such in Google ads). Other commentators also state the £329 figure, though they may have picked that up from the original PC World page too, of course:

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/11/tos...uk-for-329-99/

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #52
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any Android tabelt that does not have market support is not worth bothering with.
Why!!!
It's so east to install any APK from a file manager.
It's like saying "If my PC can only download and install executables, then it's not worth bothering with" - but that's all they have

J
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #53
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post

Pete
Here's why they bumped up the price of the Toshiba Folio 100 to £999:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...es.after.bugs/

They wanted to deter sales due to a high rate of returns by unhappy customers.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #54
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Don't know which is the best but I ordered a Velocity Micro Cruz. I culled a lot of "tablets" to get to this one and settled on it because it had a 800x600 (4:3 aspect ratio) and you can actually talk to a customer service rep.

Regard - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would want at least USB host, if not HDMI out and bluetooth, in any Android tablet device. And I'd want to make sure it did full screen video smoothly.
I'm leaning heavily toward the Nook Color. Missing for me are:
  • standard USB port for uploading USB drive content
  • Android 2.2 for flash support (promised upgrade early 2011)
  • additional audio/video codec support
I have absolutely no need for video out or bluetooth.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #56
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Take a look at the Pocketbook IQ. It's shipping soon, comes with 2.2 and is not locked down. It's based on the Pandigital hardware but supposedly has better hardware.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #57
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
I love my Dell Streak. It's kind of in between a smartphone and a tablet. I used to have an iPad and personally like the Streak better. It's small enough to fit in a pocket or purse and be carried everyday. The screen at 5" in a really great size for an ereader if you want to use it for that. I have a Kindle so I don't often use it as an ereader but it works well for that purpose. You can see it in person by going to Best Buy. Note that it currently has Android 1.6 installed but is receive an update to 2.2 in the next couple of weeks.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #58
robslp
Enthusiast
robslp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 3, Nook, Android Razr, Fire, Transformer Prime.
I love my Transformer Prime. It now has ICS and is very handy at work with the docked keyboard. It does take a little time getting used to the keyboard and not hitting the mouse with my hand. I also like downloading the good free apps of the day from Amazon.
robslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #59
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
If money isn't an issue, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is amongst the very best imo. Had mine for a couple of months now, absolutely brilliant as an ebook reader, browser and hd mkvs on the super amoled plus screen....ooh Baby! Bought mine from the extremely dodgy looking but actually very good and responsive Panamoz.com, the 3g version for £440. Pricey yes, but it's a premium product that matches my iPad 2 in built quality and design.

Currently Honeycomb sadly, but ICS is confirmed.

16gb wifi can be had for £330 now.

Long thread about happy panamoz.com customers on AVforums,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lapto...pinion-26.html

Last edited by yegon; 03-07-2012 at 03:57 AM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote