Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Caroms
Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon kindle
drm restrictions icon

how/where does one check when a drm restrictions indicator is displayed for a book? If on clicking on the book, Adobe/ePub/DRM are listed on a Kobo site, does this mean that the book can be downloaded, converted & then transferred to my kindle? Totally new at this, not tech savvy enoough, checked the Users Manual but could not find the answer & pretty confused with the flood of information. Would appreciate if anyone can help please. Thank you.
Caroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
In general all the large stores use DRM. If they don't for a specific book, it is mentioned.

However, if you buy a book it is always possible to remove the restriction. Than you can convert to your hearts delight.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Any Kobo ebook with "Adobe DRM EPUB" can be downloaded to Adobe Digital Editions on a Windows PC or a Mac. To get it on a Kindle you need to strip the DRM and then use Calibre to convert to MOBI. There are 3rd party plugins for Calibre that make stripping DRM very easy, and they work on Adobe DRM as well as B&N DRM for ePubs. Apprentice Alf's Blog has a lot of information on DRM, including the different types and what to do.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Caroms
Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.Caroms knows the square root of minus one.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've only ever bought ebooks direct from Amazon before & only just newly installed calibre on someone's recommendation. Too much info & for me, a lot of stuff too tech to follow smoothly. No idea whatsoever how to strip DRM but from a notice somewhere in calibre, it's illegal to do so?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Caroms

It's good to know it can be done (hopefully - for me) especially since some authors are spread out over Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc & can't get all the books from 1 author at 1 site. Will check out Apprentice Alf's Blog. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it.
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroms View Post
No idea whatsoever how to strip DRM but from a notice somewhere in calibre, it's illegal to do so?
No disrespect to you, Caroms, but I suggest that you really shouldn't believe everything you see mindlessly repeated on this or any other forum.

So far as I am aware no one has ever been prosecuted for removing DRM for his or her personal use.

Even if any prosecutor tried to sue or charge anyone with removing DRM for his or her personal use I am sure that the case would be laughed out of court since it could not be proved that any harm had been done to anyone.

On a slightly different level not so long ago it really was a criminal offence, it was illegal, to teach a slave to read, or to shelter a slave who had escaped. Just because it was illegal does that mean that one should have obeyed that law and withheld the teaching or the shelter?

What you might have read in the calibre forum is that it is illegal to help someone remove DRM - but that's a different matter than removing DRM oneself.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Caroms

thank you for reminding me that we're not mindless minions accepting everything as true on face value but having just installed calibre & trying to come to grips with the deluge of info, specifically that which pertains to me, I didn't want to do anything wrong & 'get thrown off the island' so to speak.
Your quote speaks volumes about morality & justice & I uphold the same principles.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Caroms

I think you will be perfectly safe as regards removing DRM on the forum as long as you refrain from explicitly explaining how to remove DRM. The usual response to people who ask how to remove DRM is to suggest that they google for Apprentice Alf, and that seems to be perfectly acceptable.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Caroms

yes I've been referred to Alf's, read it, tried it AND think I might have succeeded. This is because it worked for the 1st book I transferred from my kindle to my calibre library to test it out. However, despite being the same author/publisher, the 2nd, 3rd & even 4th attempts didn't work & stayed stubbornly drm locked. No idea what went right or wrong. Arrghhhhh!!!!
Frankly, all I want is to buy some books & Amazon is taking forever to convert to digital format & I certainly can't afford to have separate reading devices for each different site & tired of waiting around. This is the only reason why drm restrictions affect me.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is very easy to see if the DRM is removed. If Calibre can open it, it has been removed.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
Caroms

tks I sincerely hope so as I've tried with several books now - some work, some don't & of course I don't know why that is.