Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
addressee
addressee began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4g
EPUB metadata has no spine

Can anyone help get my spineless recipe Epubs onto my iPod?

I think this is a recipe problem, although it may be a Calibre--->iPod problem, but it only seems to happen with news gathered by recipes (downloading other Epub books and books converted to Epub to my iPod via Stanza runs well.)

Calibre will fetch news through a recipe and download as scheduled. (e.g. Globe and Mail, HBR Blog.) These documents are readily viewed through the Calibre reader and are visible on my iPod as a share through "Computers Sharing Books" in Stanza. When selected to download the 'processing wheel' spins, then turns to a button labeled "Error!". Selecting this button pops up a message:

"Import Failed Failed to download and import <publication>: EPUB metadata has no spine."

Calibre share is my preferred method of device transfer, however I also tested this with iTunes sync using the following method.
In Calibre, identify book location using Path info: 'click to open' in the book details pane) opening an Explorer window. The epub file can be added to iTunes where Stanza is selected under Device > Apps > File Sharing. Just drag and drop into the Stanza pane or use the "Add..." button and navigate using the path given by Calibre. iTunes basically does nothing except light up a connection to my iPod if it is connected. No file appears in the "Stanza Documents" list and nothing is added to sync.

(I do not use the "Connect to iTunes" feature in Calibre.)

In Calibre Preferences > Conversion:
"Input Options" and "Output Options" remain at default settings.
"Common Options": the Input Profile is 'Default Input Profile' and Output Profile is 'Sony Reader', which seems to work well for this device in most cases.

Using:
Calibre 0.8.8 (and earlier versions)
Windows Vista
Stanza 3.1
iPod Touch 4g (iOS 4.3.3)
iTunes 10.3.1.55

Thanks!
addressee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
do not use sony reader as your output profile. Use the genric profile or the iPad profile.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
addressee
addressee began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4g
Thank you, Kovid. That did the trick.
addressee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
do not use sony reader as your output profile. Use the genric profile or the iPad profile.
Hi Kovid or whomever,

If I have a Sony E-Reader and Iphone 4, should I do this a well. (use generic profile as output profile?)

Primary reader is the Sony but occasionally, I like to download these news sources onto my iphone 4.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes .
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
azxswq
Connoisseur

Quote:
yes .
Thanks Kovid!

Done! And I was able to download these news sources as books on stanza.

Unfortunately, this makes the news stories no longer part of the periodical categorization and now I have 11 new books a day on the T1.

Kolenka on the T1 Driver thread is working on the T1 driver, are the two related? (Also, this same exact problem happened before, but goes away after a day or two... I have no idea why.)

So bottomline, spine is now "back", and Stanza->HTTP->Calibre->News download works well. But I am wondering if I will have many many books now, as periodicals. (or that they will magically fall in-line later.)

I deleted all previous news sources and will report in a day or so. Maybe they are totally separate and everything will be fine after a day or two. (here is hoping.)

Thanks again.

Last edited by azxswq; 10-18-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you do not set the utput profile to SONY, your periodicals will not be recognized as periodicals on the SONY. The tradeoff is yours to choose. I suggest you look for another epub reader program to replace stanza that doesn't choke on SONY periodical format epubs (which are actually perfectly valid epubs).
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
azxswq
Connoisseur

Quote:
If you do not set the utput profile to SONY, your periodicals will not be recognized as periodicals on the SONY. The tradeoff is yours to choose. I suggest you look for another epub reader program to replace stanza that doesn't choke on SONY periodical format epubs (which are actually perfectly valid epubs).

Aha, fair point. Thank you.

Tags
ipod, recipe, share, stanza