Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Formatted Opus. Duh! Anyone got the system files?

I followed some instructions to remove a load of ebooks all in one go by formatting the Cybook Opus internal drive. Once I'd got that going I read further down where it said to save the system files . . . . . . .

Can anyone help me out of a big hole, please? The Opus works - it boots up, and I can access the menus, but it won't show any books I drop into the USB device mounted on my computer. ADE won't see it either - not in Windows nor in Mac OS X. Calibre sees it and identifies it correctly and even allows me to send ebooks to it, but the Opus won't show them in its menus. Formatting it with either of the firmwares available (mobi & ePub) do not recreate the deleted files/folders.

I have contacted Bookeen support, but would so appreciate it if someone could send me a zip of the system files I should have backed up before formatting . .

Pretty please!!!!!

Thanks guys.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The system files should be recreated automatically. The books need to be in the eBooks folder.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, tompe. Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be happening. Each time I switch on I get asked for the language, I select English, then on the next reboot it asks me again, so I guess it needs a config.dat file in which to store the settings (this file does not exist). I also seem to remember font files, but these are no longer there either.

If I look into the folder when the drive is mounted on my Mac desktop I can see the ebook folder and Calibre has put books correctly into this folder, using folders for author, title etc., but the Opus doesn't see the books. If I opt to view using folders on the Opus I see an Adobe Digital Editions folder, but since ADE doesn't see the device I can't do anything with that either.

I'm pretty convinced that if I can reinstall the system folders and files it will work again.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
di0gene
di0gene began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
I am experiencing the same problems with a Cybook Gen3 rel. 1.5. It seems that the device does not retain the settings: it always asks for the language, no books loaded into the internal memory are shown; everything works with an external SD card.
Please, let us know if you get an answer from Booken support. I have tried but no success there.
di0gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
scgf
Connoisseur

Hi di0gene.

I just emailed Bookeen again, stating that under EU consumer legislation they are required to provide support. I have given them until Friday to acknowledge my support request, at the very least. If they are not forthcoming I will contact the relevant EU authorities. In my case they are technically the manufacturer and the retailer so they and they alone must offer an appropriate level of support.

I am copying this post to the thread I started in MobileRead Forums > E-Book Devices > Bookeen Cybook. Please respond there.

MODS, Please close this thread. Cheers.

Last edited by scgf; 01-05-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by di0gene View Post
I am experiencing the same problems with a Cybook Gen3 rel. 1.5. It seems that the device does not retain the settings: it always asks for the language, no books loaded into the internal memory are shown; everything works with an external SD card.
Please, let us know if you get an answer from Booken support. I have tried but no success there.
Are your books in the eBooks folder ?
If not, you must use the Folder view mode, to see the folder(s) where you put your ebooks.

PS : If you format the Gen3, maybe it didn't recreate the folders needed (eBooks, Pictures, Music). You'll need to create them manually.

Last edited by Idoine; 01-05-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
scgf
Connoisseur

Cheers, Idoine. Have a look at my thread in the main Cybook forum. The problem is now sorted and it was to do with formatting.

di0gene, this could solve your problem too.

All kudos to Godzil!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
Cheers, Idoine. Have a look at my thread in the main Cybook forum. The problem is now sorted and it was to do with formatting.

di0gene, this could solve your problem too.

All kudos to Godzil!
Happy for you ! It's really a great place here !

Now it seems Di0gene could have another issue though...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote