Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
RonNYC
RonNYC began at the beginning.

Device: none
Newbie questions

I have a book in docx format. I converted it to PDF. I've tried to convert it to MOBI and while it works, sort of, it's not good. Perhaps the converter I used are defective or old or my format isn't suitable. I have drop caps which end up appearing in the middle of the page and the font has changed.

Can Kindle viewers read PDF? Is there a downside? If there's a tutorial on this, please let me know.

Thanks.
RON
RonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNYC View Post
I have a book in docx format. I converted it to PDF.
If you use Calibre, convert the book to the new AZW3 format or select "both" as the MOBI file type on the Mobi output settings dialog box in Calibre. (If you plan to sell the book via Amazon KDP use KindleGen.)

Quote:
I have drop caps which end up appearing in the middle of the page and the font has changed.
The old .mobi format doesn't support dropcaps and embedded fonts, but the new AZW3 format does, however, you'll most likely have to tweak the dropcaps code for AZW3.

Quote:
Can Kindle viewers read PDF? Is there a downside?
Kindles can display .pdf files, but only display them well, if they have been optimized for 600x800 displays.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can convert directly from docx to mobi format, using the Kindle email service, if you want. I don't know if Calibre handles it, but it might. You would probably have better results than trying to convert from a pdf file, anyway.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I have a book in docx format. I converted it to PDF. I've tried to convert it to MOBI and while it works, sort of, it's not good. Perhaps the converter I used are defective or old or my format isn't suitable. I have drop caps which end up appearing in the middle of the page and the font has changed.

Can Kindle viewers read PDF? Is there a downside? If there's a tutorial on this, please let me know.

Thanks.
RON
Never, never, never convert from PDF to either ePUB or MOBI, if you have a source doc or docx file. If you have a plain fiction title, you can probably upload the Docx file at KDP and get a pretty competent mobi file.

I'd recommend that you try that first; download the Preview MOBI (Step 6) and see if it's what you want. If that works, you're home. If it doesn't, then you're going to need to make an ePUB (or use Jutoh or Atlantis Word Processor, each ~$40USD) and tweak the results until you get what you want.

You can try Calibre (docx -->MOBI) and see if that works, but as someone else here said, Amazon very often rejects Calibre-made mobis, and certainly will if you're using Dropcap styling, which means you need KF8 format, which Calibre can't support in a filetype that works at Amazon.

Never convert from PDF. I do this for a living, and in over 2,000 books, I've only seen one instance in which I asked the prospective client for the PDF over the source word-processed file, and that's only because the source word-processed file was SUCH a mess that cleaning it up would actually take us longer than it would to go through everything you have to go through to competently and completely convert a PDF into ePUB/MOBI formats. PDF is possibly the WORST input format for MOBI- or ePUB-making.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote