Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast
FunkeXMix began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
How to make specific words change color when using embedded fonts?

Hi all!

This is for Kindle KF8 and iBooks. I tried it in the following way but the problem is that the embedded fonts do not want to apply to the span tags. Do you know any solution? (FYI <div class="titleboxcolor"> makes the text background black.)

HTML

Code:
<div class="titleboxcolor">
		  <h2 id="toc_marker-2-1" class="title">White text</h2>

<h2 class="title"><span>Red text</span></h2>
          <h2 class="title">White text</h2>

</div>
CSS

Code:
h2 {font-family:"Myriad Pro Black", sans-serif;
	font-size:4.167em;
	font-weight:900;
	line-height:1.2	;
	margin-top:0px;
	text-transform:uppercase;
}

h2.title span {
color:#c0081f;

}

h2.title {
	color:#FFFFFF;

}
FunkeXMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Do you have the problem only with embedded fonts? I'd say it's more likely that the reader is trying to be smart by setting all text colours to black...

Other comments probably unrelated to your issue:

-I believe your markup is wrong, you have three titles, where you probably simply want one title with three components, why not use something like (I think it's more semantic):

Code:
<h2>
<span class="top">White text</span>
<span class="middle">Red text</span>
<span class="bottom">White text</span>
</h2>

h2 { background-color: #000000; color: #FFFFFF; }
h2 span { display: block; }
h2 span.middle { color: #C0081F; }
- The "text-transform" property is not supported by ePub. There's no harm in using it, it might work in some readers, but do not rely on it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip about the semantics, I really appreciate it. The span tags work for KF8 and iBooks, they become red like I want them. It's just that the embedded font "Myriad Pro Black" does not apply to them, but applies to the rest.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
So, you have something like:

Code:
<h2>This <span>that</span></h2>
and "This" appears with the embedded font but "that" doesn't? That sounds like a known silly behaviour of iBooks... but I can't help much more, I don't have a Kindle or an iPad, and the code is perfectly valid.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Probably a cascade bug. Try adding:

Code:
h2 span {font-family:"Myriad Pro Black", sans-serif;
	font-size:4.167em;
	font-weight:900;
	line-height:1.2	;
	margin-top:0px;
	text-transform:uppercase;
}
And if you can create a small, reproducible test case, please file a bug at https://bugreport.apple.com/.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FunkeXMix are you doing all of this work for a paid job you've been given to do? If so, look for help elsewhere. most at MR do not like being taken advantage of by being asked all kinds of questions from someone who is getting paid (and not telling us so from the start) and having us do the work for them.

If you are not getting paid to do this work, then feel free to keep asking for help.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-07-2013 at 03:14 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

My goal is to create a discussion about topics that have not been covered here before, adding to the knowledge base, as well as learning more about SVGs in regards to what works on Kindle and iPad.

It is an exiting way to create interesting layouts without the need for fixed layout, and from what I can Google there is not much coverage of it in regards to what works in eBooks. Me and dgatwood had interesting discussions on the topic of SVG balling our ideas back and forth. Except for this one thread title, I even paid attention to making easy to find titles for the threads so people can find them easily here and on Google.

I am here to give and receive, I already gave some input on another persons SVG thread, then dgatwood gave his input as well. I will most certainly use my attained knowledge to earn money by making better looking eBooks, and so can anybody who reads my threads. I think we are doing good things here. And while I get better I will be able to offer more help.

That's why people even share their information, what comes around goes around.

Last edited by FunkeXMix; 01-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast

Sorry double post. Can be deleted.

Last edited by FunkeXMix; 01-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.