Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #106
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The Apple event kept the stock market from a small crash today.

Only down 1.3% at the moment but tomorrow will be the tester.
What's tomorrow?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #107
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What's tomorrow?
Wednesday - my work-at-home day!!!!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #108
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I figured they'd use the A5x for the CPU in the Mini, was surprised to see it's the A5.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #109
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Wednesday - my work-at-home day!!!!

Ah-Ha!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #110
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Here's the question ... Will I be able to sideload epubs into the Nook HD? I just got finished chatting with a representative on the B&N website, and she said one will be able to sideload epubs from any source into the new Nook HD. But weren't there problems doing that with the previous Nook color tablet? Does anyone know if that is true? If it really can handle epubs from any source, I think I'll be going in that direction.
Sideloading ePubs has always been available on the Nook family of eReaders.

Last edited by afv011; 10-23-2012 at 04:14 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #111
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What I find amusing is that in the spring Apple was pimping raw resolution numbers.
Today they're pimping surface area.
Like,duh; yeah, an 8in tablet has a bigger display than a 7incher.
Is that really supposed to be a feature worth US$130?
Then how about 9in and triple the resolution plus double the RAM and still cheaper?
Spin me a new story...

Here, fron ZDnet:

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-gets-offi...33/?s_cid=e589
More display area but fewer pixels actually means it gets to display less information. Not at all what they were advertising in the presentation.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #112
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
But $80 more than what it should cost.
Apple moves in mysterious ways.

I guess it is magic!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #113
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Apple moves in mysterious ways.

I guess it is magic!
Only to muggles. ::
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #114
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What's tomorrow?
By then everyone will have time to digest the new Apple products. The time difference on the east coast didn't leave much time. Reviewers and bloggers will analyze the devices. Today Apple dropped 3% mostly due to the ipad mini's higher than expected price. But they did announce other news.

Also, more corporate earnings will be released.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #115
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
By then everyone will have time to digest the new Apple products. The time difference on the east coast didn't leave much time. Reviewers and bloggers will analyze the devices. Today Apple dropped 3% mostly due to the ipad mini's higher than expected price. But they did announce other news.

Also, more corporate earnings will be released.
I see, just wasn't sure what you were getting at, it's big corporate earnings time and most results are not much good.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #116
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Sideloading ePubs has always been available on the Nook family of eReaders.
Hey thanks. And I assume that the integration has always been seamless into their native reading app? I mean, all the epub covers showed up? And side loaded books were mixed in with those purchased directly from B&N (as opposed to being shunted off to the side)?

I seem to recall one of the closed system color tablets first accepting any epubs (with rooting only) but then later versions made that even impossible. Perhaps that was the original Kindle Fire.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #117
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Hey thanks. And I assume that the integration has always been seamless into their native reading app? I mean, all the epub covers showed up? And side loaded books were mixed in with those purchased directly from B&N (as opposed to being shunted off to the side)?
We'll be kicked in our back sides for going off topic, but to answer your question, with the exception of the nook classic (which had separated libraries for sideloaded and purchased items), all other nooks show the sideloaded and purchased items seamlessly in a single library. There have been some issues with the covers not displaying though, but that's very easy to fix with Sigil or Calibre - the nooks are a bit picky with how the cover should be specified in the manifest.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #118
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Yeah, I guess I'm just not sure what folks expected as far as cost. Apple really doesn't care much to be competitive price-wise with these other smaller tablets. They're going to outsell them regardless, so why not do it at the highest price?

Personally, I'm rather invested in the Apple ecosystem just because I've been using it longer and have grown familiar with it. And I think it works well for what I use these things for, and I've never had any complaints. So I'm more apt to overspend on this smaller iPad (the large iPads have never really interested me) than say I would on the new Kindle because I prefer Apple's setup. Which is more important to me than pixel counts and what not. I think Apple realizes there are a ton of users out there like me willing to do the same. No need to lower the price to be competitive with the hundreds of different tablets coming out all the time when the huge user base you already have developed will pay a premium.

I really find the tech fights interesting, with the "haters" and "fanboys", since things like blind loyalty and passion have have never been aspects of my tech consumption. I've used Windows, Android, Amazon, Apple, etc for many years and really see pros and cons with any piece of technology. I just happen to prefer the ecosystem of Apple right now since it's familiar and has worked for me without issue through several different devices for a long time now. And a smaller iPad seems like something that I would prefer to my Kindle Fire, whose setup I count as worse for my needs than my iPhone or iPod.

So it always strikes me odd when some people get up in arms about overspending on "fewer specs". I think there is a large number of tech users like me, who are more concerned with the ecosystem than they are on the latest and greatest tech (knowing the tech will get outdated soon anyway, while the ecosystem has more staying power). And when we're talking about things like this new iPad anyway, or any of the other great devices around, its not like we're comparing ultrabooks to Tandy's or anything. Unless someone puts a better screen right next to the one I'm using, I'll never know what the difference is anyway.
I think what surprised me about it is that they're diving into a market not known for having "...and damn the expense!" users. This is a market where value matters. The iPad Mini seems to be tailor-made for those who don't mind spending iPad money, but just want it in a smaller size. I don't think that market's that large. I think that for most people, if they wanted a tablet with the iOS ecosystem, they already bought one. That's not to say they won't sell like hotcakes, but they won't sell like hotcakes smothered in crack, like iDevices usually do.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
iPad4 already? Was anyone expecting that?
That I did not expect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #120
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Apple fans will camp out to buy them and eventually millions will be sold.
I don't know ... something is telling me now, that is not going to happen this time.

I actually saw in the news, people saying they would NOT buy anything above 300 bucks. We will have to see, but remember, this is not a 10 inches tablet, and iPhones have a carrier subsidized price, so the pain is lower on those cases...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote