Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
mint75
mint75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Kobo Touch some pdf-Files won't be loaded in the library

Hello,

I got a problem with some pdf-Files which I put on an external Micro-SD-Card.
Although some of those Files are recognized and correctly loaded to the library when I start my Device other won’t be recognized and displayed the library at all.
I have installed the latest Firmware (2.0) but I had the problem with previous versions as well.

I have checked the Files and neither they are corrupted nor protected.

Thank you in advance
mint75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't load many PDF files on my Touch. But, I've never had one not appear in the library. I think we would need to see an example of one to try an work out what was wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
One of my major uses for my Touch is to have my PDF gaming books with me at a game. I've run into corrupted pdf's from time to time, but I've never had one just not show up in the library.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something I thought of later was that if there is a problem with a book when the Touch is processing them, it stops processing the rest of the books. So, there might be just one bad book in on the card. Unfortunately, finding the bad book is painful. You need to take all the books off the card that aren't seen, and then add them back on in smaller groups.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unfortunately, finding the bad book is painful. You need to take all the books off the card that aren't seen, and then add them back on in smaller groups.
I could be mistaken (since I haven't tried it myself) but IIRC you should be able to look at the list of books and the one after the last one added is most likely the problem book. This could just be for sideloads onto the device itself rather than on an SD card, as I don't know what order it would add them from an SD card.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I could be mistaken (since I haven't tried it myself) but IIRC you should be able to look at the list of books and the one after the last one added is most likely the problem book. This could just be for sideloads onto the device itself rather than on an SD card, as I don't know what order it would add them from an SD card.
Well, that probably is right, but the problem is the "after". I don't know if the books are processed in alphabetical order, timestamp or some other weird order.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
mint75
mint75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Hey Guys,
thank you for your advices. I have checked the pdf-files which are not loaded and they all seem to be fine. I noticed however that some of these files semm to have a ridiculous long filename - maybe that is the problem?! I will check on that today evening :-)

BTW: The only two things the Kobo Cusotmer Service suggested were:
-to load the files via a Adobe-App to my SD-Card
-to switch my device off and on again......(this one was very helpfull indeed... never thought of that)
mint75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint75 View Post
Hey Guys,
thank you for your advices. I have checked the pdf-files which are not loaded and they all seem to be fine. I noticed however that some of these files semm to have a ridiculous long filename - maybe that is the problem?! I will check on that today evening :-)
The FAT32 path length can be up to 260 characters long. So, it has to be very long files names and directories to hit this. But, there are a couple of reasons it could be the problem. One is that if you are close to this under Windows, then I think the path length when it is mounted under the devices OS is slightly longer. That might break it

The other is problem with the generated cover. The name for this includes the full path of the book plus some extra characters and the path the file is in. But, from my experiments, this will simply mean the library list will have an empty box instead of a cover. There are a couple of other files as well but they are only created when you read the book.

If you think the filename length is the issue, use the latest version of calibre. It will make sure the names don't exceed the maximum.
Quote:
BTW: The only two things the Kobo Cusotmer Service suggested were:
-to load the files via a Adobe-App to my SD-Card
-to switch my device off and on again......(this one was very helpfull indeed... never thought of that)
Both ideas might help, but I don't think so.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Sometimes a file doesn't show up because the filename contains "funny" characters. This usually means characters that aren't 7-bit ASCII. For example, I sometimes convert blog posts to EPUB files for later reading. For some reason, many blog post titles contain an 8-bit character that looks like this: >> . I always have to delete this character from the filename for the file to show up for me to read on my Kobo. The same holds for PDFs as for EPUBs.

What I recommend is that you delete all funny characters from the filenames of all your problem files. You might even try renaming them test01.pdf, test02.pdf, etc. as these names are absolutely safe. Then see if you can read them.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote