Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
snirp
snirp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Issues

I sent this to the kobo customer service email address but wanted to get some feedback from all of you. This is my first ereader. Thanks.

This is what I sent to them:

I bought the Kobo touch and am suddenly having some problems with it. This
morning, I plugged it into the computer to download some books. When I used
the Kobo Desktop to Sync it, it said the software was corrupt and to do a
factory reset. I had to leave for work, so I did not do it right away. The
Kobo was charged and worked fine during the day allowing me to read my book.

When I got home tonight, I plugged it into the computer (which does not
detect the reader by the way) and got the same message. So I ejected it
using the Kobo Desktop and did the factory reset. It seemed fine although it
got hung up on the set up screen on the reader for awhile until I used a
paper clip to restart the reader via the small button on the back.

It seemed fine and downloaded all my books and what not. It was also fully
charged. I have been reading for approximately 2 1/2 hours and suddenly it
turned off and said it needed to be charged. I plugged it into the computer
and it said it was charging but the charging icon on the reader is fully
charged after 5 minutes.

Did I do something wrong when doing the factory reset? Is there a problem
with the battery?

I bought it the day it was released and it has been perfectly fine up until
now. Thank you.
snirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If it's relatively convenient I think I would take it back where you got it and exchange it. It there are enough wonky things going on there that it might be easier to exchange it now than have to wait on warranty service later. 2.5 hours doesn't give me a lot of faith in the battery on that one, although there could be other issues.
My 2 cents worth.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
snirp

It's been perfectly fine up until now so I want to give it a chance, or customer service a chance at least, before returning it. Assuming they would take it back. I'm going to see what they have to say and then see if it does it again. I just read for about 1 1/2 hours and the charge didn't dimish so maybe it is a one time thing? Fingers crossed!

I really want this to work properly. It'd be a bitch if I'm on my cruise, reading a really good book and the damn thing died on me!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
We have a couple of battery issues that we're ironing through in an upcoming firmware release.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
snirp

George - thank you for your post. Do you know if that will solve the issue I mentioned above? Do you know when that might be released?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I had an issue with the unit just shutting off too. It showed about 30 percent battery left and put it in sleep mode and it said I needed to charge it. I charged it up and waiting to see if it does it again.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I have seen some minor battery issues. On the initial charge, the Kobo Touch shut off suddenly with about 40% remaining battery showing. After recharging, the battery shows full when on the charger, but immediately drops to 90% and then 80% within seconds when the charger is disconnected. So far it's still running on the 2nd charge.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I have seen some minor battery issues. On the initial charge, the Kobo Touch shut off suddenly with about 40% remaining battery showing. After recharging, the battery shows full when on the charger, but immediately drops to 90% and then 80% within seconds when the charger is disconnected. So far it's still running on the 2nd charge.
exact same experience as me. I started reading with about 40% off and got 2 chapters done before it shut off. Then right after charging OVERNIGHT it dropped down within 1 hour of reading.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
I had an issue with the unit just shutting off too. It showed about 30 percent battery left and put it in sleep mode and it said I needed to charge it. I charged it up and waiting to see if it does it again.
I had that issue as well last night. Additionally when I plugged it into the charger to charge I got the connect message. Also at some point it lost all my books earlier in the day. I sat as it said processing and of the 600 pages of books I am supposed to have, after processing for over 45 mins it showd 5 pages. Came home and did a factory reset waited out the processing again. IT restored all to what it was but the then it said needed to be charged. So i plugged it into the wall charger where it said connect or cancel. I have never seen this behaviour b4 firmware 1.9.4 (might be good to list firmware when we have issues). Is this something new? I suspect my memory card was disloged at least its a guess. I did scan both my memory card and main memory of unit to see if errors were present, result was perfect.

Any ideas?

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote