Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #61
nictuku
nictuku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stehk View Post
The problem is that self generated dictionaries don't know any inflections. So if you really want a powerful dictionary plus inflections I would definitely recommend you this one:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=86467

I think it's really crazy that amazon owns mobipocket, but there is no official way to get the mobipocket DRM protected dictionaries working on the Kindle.
Anyway, maybe it works with this:
http://kindletools.prestonlee.com/
And AFAIK every proper mobi dictionary works fine on the kindle, as long as they don't have DRM
I'm utterly disgusted by Amazon and their mobipockets.com. But unfortunately I have no option, so I followed yours and Ea's suggestions and bought this PONS book. Thank you so much for the recommendation. It appears to be a very comprehensive and high quality dictionary.

I tried getting the Kindle 3 PID using one of these little python scripts to get the PID based on Kindle serial number*. I got a possible PID number and tried activating the book on mobipocket.com so I could read it on the Kindle, but it didn't work. So I had to decrypt it. I detailed the process here, but it's well documented everywhere.

For what's worth, by the way, I didn't have to hack the file header to change the language to English. It worked fine right away.

A big thanks to everyone on this thread and other threads explaining how to get international dictionaries into the Kindle.

And come on Amazon! Just get your act together and start offering a decent German-English dictionary!

* I don't think my kindle serial is a secret number or is unique in the Universe (therefore it's easy to guess), but I didn't feel comfortable with putting this on the website you recommended.
nictuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #62
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
using more than one dictionary at the same time

Okay so here is what I did (obviously I have nothing better to do )
If you select a word with the cursor in your kindle- the translation pops up. Then if you press enter you get to the dictionary. And now if I select a word within my dictionary- the definition from another dictionary pops up.

So you can use, let's say an english-english dictionary and from within the english-english dictionary go to an english-german dictionary.

This somehow works because the metadata of the dictionary translation language is stored separately from the ordinary book's language.

To do this you need to change the language of your primary dictionary to some random language. For this you can use the mobi2mobi perl script (for which a GUI exists as well named Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB).
After you changed the book language to, let's say french, you take your second dictionary and change the translation metadata. For this you can either use the mobipatch file posted in this thread- or you can directly change the hex-code to the same language (french in my case).

BTW the restriction that only english dictionaries can be used as primary dictionaries obviously doesn't apply anymore, probably since the last fw update.

Usually I like an english english explanation better, but sometimes I'd like to know the german word.

unfortunately I can't manipulate the Oxford dictionary that comes with the kindle (which I like very much). If anybody knows how to do that please tell me
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #63
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stehk View Post
unfortunately I can't manipulate the Oxford dictionary that comes with the kindle (which I like very much). If anybody knows how to do that please tell me
Have you de-DRM'd it?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #64
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I don't even know where to find it on my kindle. I just found the mbp somewhere in my system folder.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #65
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's not in the userstore, it's in the system partition. (ie. You'll need a jailbroken & hacked Kindle to access it).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 04:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #66
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry about that. I don't know why I had the impression that it was accessible as a file on the Kindle normally.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #67
stehk
Enthusiast

Hm that's weird
My kindle already is jailbroken. I just tried to rebreak it again but it has no effect. Still no Oxford dictionary
just the mbp under \system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\sidecar
i have a k2i

thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You obviously didn't understand what I said, or what the point of the jailbreak is.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #69
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You obviously didn't understand what I said, or what the point of the jailbreak is.
This isn't exactly helpful...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 AM   #70
stehk
Enthusiast

Yeah, I had the quite naive notion, that you jailbreak your device and the Linux root just magically pops up somewhere, when you connect your device as mass stoarge via usb.

Some catchphrases like usbnetwork and connect via ssh would have speeded up things a little for me.

But anyway I got it done... the included dictionary isn't even drm encrypted

the howto
http://inportb.com/2010/06/15/kindle...2-5-with-root/
Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #71
remembershakti
remembershakti began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
In a nutshell

i'm a newbie. Having ordered my kindle 3 just a few hours ago i've spent the time trying to understand the thread.I'm posting my thoughts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

1)based on the language metadata of the prc file kindle uses the appropriate dictionary. So for german ebook it will lookup a dictionary whose language metadata indicates its german provided theres only one german dictionary in kindle.

2)The language metadata of the books and the dictionary both can be changed via mobi2mobi either using the command line or the gui version. The same effect can be achived by the tool mobipatch.

Please let me know.
remembershakti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #72
stehk
Enthusiast

nearly right

ad1 that is correct, (if there is more than one german dictionary the kindle will choose just one randomly.)

ad2 not quite- there are two language metadata entries in a prc or mobi file.
The first one you can manipulate via mobi2mobi.
This is the one that determines which language the kindle will use to look up a word in that book.

If the book is a dictionary however, there is an independent entry, determining the language of the dictionary- this one you can manipulate via mobipatch. (in former fw versions you had to set this one to english, in order to use a dictionary as primary dictionary- but this no longer applies)

so... you can use mobi2mobi to change the metadata in your bookcollections

you can use mobipatch if there is e.g more than one german dictionary in your collection and kindle chooses one you don't like for instant lookup

however keep in mind that many books aren't tagged correctly. I bought a german book from amazon, where the metadata entry says english... and there is no way to manipulate them as long as they are DRMed
Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #73
remembershakti
remembershakti began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Thanks for the reply, it cleared things up. I've 2 other questions. This may sound stupid, but i didn't find the option to change the language metadata into spanish in the mobi2mobi gui(VB7 w mobiperl 0.43-win). Am i overlooking anything? If not so are there any other way to change it?

Also is there another way to recognize whether a particular prc/mobi file is a dictionary other than the one involving hex lookup as mentioned in this thread?
remembershakti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #74
stehk
Enthusiast

yeah, spanish isn't included in the gui of mobi2mobi
just open the command in windows, go into the directory with the mobi2mobi file and enter perl mobi2mobi --language es "mobifile" or something like that (not sure about the syntax now)

and you can see the dictionary languages via the standard mobipocket reader from their website... but in order to change them you have to use the mobipatch or hexeditor- at least I don't know of another way
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #75
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Thanks stehk, using 2 dictionaries at the same time works perfectly on my Kindle 3 now! My use case is slightly different: Dutch-English dictionary as primary and English-Slovak dictionary for case I do not know an English word from the Dutch-English translation (there is no good direct Dutch-Slovak dictionary).

At first I thought I would set the language of the primary dict to en, so that I can keep correct dict metadata (en->sk) for the English-Slovak dict. However, from some reason this did not work - the primary dict was always used... so I tried your example of setting the primary dict to fr and the secondary to fr->sk and that worked. I don't understand why I have to work it around in this way but not a big deal for me
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle