Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
loopeylisie
Enthusiast
loopeylisie began at the beginning.

Device: none
screen technology

Hello all,

I was hoping that someone out there could explain the pros and cons of the different screen technologies? I have read the reference in the wiki as to how the technology works, but wanted to know how the differences actually manifest and whether these are significant differences or just very minor?

I've only been able to visually compare the E ink pearl and the E ink vizplex, and have not been able to view a sipix screen thus far. When i did compare them, in tesco's, it was a sony prs650, and the glare (from the touchscreen i am assuming) was awful and the screen didn't have the same clarity as the prs350 which was also on display (although i think the unit was faulty as i've popped in several times and its been locked/frozen on the same page. despite requests staff haven't sorted it out ). The other unit on display, the cybook opus with e ink vizplex, seemed to have very little difference to the e ink pearl of the prs350.

So are there real differences in the technologies? or are they all essentially the same? From what i have read the presence of and type of touchscreen has a big impact on glare. If anyone has any insight into the effects of touchscreen technology, this would be appreciated too

cheers,

Lisa
loopeylisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Just wanted to comment about the 650 you saw, sounds like it was actually a 600, the 650 should look the same as the kindle 3 since it doesn't have a touch layer, and be essentially at least as clear as any other eInk display on the market, though I haven't seen one for myself but I've seen videos and comparisons.

As far as eInk goes the Pearl displays are faster and crisper, in theory, though the Nook screen is supposed to be a good iteration of the previous models, I'm assuming since it uses the 16 shade gray scale rather than the 8 that some use (kobo at least I know uses the 8 scale and I think the old PRS-300/600). Not sure on the others, eInk seems to be the most popular one on the market. Really it'd come down to features and aesthetics other than that.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopeylisie View Post
I've only been able to visually compare the E ink pearl and the E ink vizplex, and have not been able to view a sipix screen thus far. When i did compare them, in tesco's, it was a sony prs650, and the glare (from the touchscreen i am assuming) was awful and the screen didn't have the same clarity as the prs350 which was also on display (although i think the unit was faulty as i've popped in several times and its been locked/frozen on the same page. despite requests staff haven't sorted it out ). The other unit on display, the cybook opus with e ink vizplex, seemed to have very little difference to the e ink pearl of the prs350.
I'm pretty sure that was you saw was a PRS-300 and 600, not 350 and 650. To the best of my knowledge, the new devices haven't made it to any shops in the UK yet.

That would of course explain why it looked the same as the Opus, because the Opus and the PRS-300 have exactly the same screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
loopeylisie
Enthusiast
loopeylisie began at the beginning.

doh, i'm getting muddled with numbers (smacks head) yeah it must have been the prs300 and 600. so all 3 models would've been the e ink viziplex then? it seems so difficult to see ereaders in stores. i really would like to be able to compare screen types as i think this will probably be one of the deciding factors for me.
loopeylisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes the 300 and 600 have the Viziplex screen. Also, I believe they are only the 8 shade grayscale screens. They also have the touch screen layer that makes them less clear and adds glare.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
Yes the 300 and 600 have the Viziplex screen. Also, I believe they are only the 8 shade grayscale screens. They also have the touch screen layer that makes them less clear and adds glare.
The 600 has a resistive touch screen; the 300 does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Why does my Sony PRS350 show the word "Viziplex" on the screen when booting? It's advertised as having the "Pearl" display...
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote